Author Topic: Adding Aspects  (Read 1874 times)

Offline Baron Hazard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Adding Aspects
« on: October 16, 2012, 06:26:05 PM »
I'm a big fan of aspects, I want to allow characters to add up to a total of 10 character aspects. I'm just wondering what you think? Should I allow characters to add a new aspect in lieu of a skill point in a significant milestone or should I provide it as an option in Major milestones? Thank you :D

Offline Addicted2aa

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Adding Aspects
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 06:39:58 PM »
Why do you feel 7 isn't enough? I find that I have a hard enough time giving all the aspects my characters currently have enough treatment.
Everything I need to know in life I learned from Fear The Boot

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 07:06:56 PM »
You would also start running into trouble when you have different aspects placed due to maneuvers and consequences. If you did go ahead and offer them I would suggest doing it at major milestone when they would get an additional refresh.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 07:33:25 PM »
I think if you want 10 aspects, just go ahead and give them 10. Those with less won't be compelled as much but in return won't have quite so many avenues for invocation (although as Addicted2aa says, seven seems plenty to me).

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »
As one of Addicted's players I can also say that it is hard to remember what everyone has. PC's can invoke other players aspects as well, so remember that even if it seems like fun for you other players arent going to remember it as much either.

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 07:52:05 PM »
Something that I've been meaning to do when I get my game up and running again is to use Season and Episode Aspects.  Basically I put an aspect on different plot arcs, the Season Aspect lasting for multiple gaming sessions and the Episode Aspect lasting for one session, and then I would allow something like one free tag of each Aspect per session.  It allows me to control the themes and mood of each session in a fun and useful way.

Offline Addicted2aa

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 08:26:07 PM »
Something that I've been meaning to do when I get my game up and running again is to use Season and Episode Aspects.  Basically I put an aspect on different plot arcs, the Season Aspect lasting for multiple gaming sessions and the Episode Aspect lasting for one session, and then I would allow something like one free tag of each Aspect per session.  It allows me to control the themes and mood of each session in a fun and useful way.

I like this idea, Though Season Aspects just seem like threats and themes to me. As for Episode Aspects, it seems like you're just giving out a random bit of player power, but for no real reason. Not that there is wrong with that, but it doesn't really seem to add anything much it self. Maybe it will serve to keep players cognizant of the theme of the night but I see it more just devolving into a mechanical +2 when the players are in trouble
Will you be compelling it? Can NPC's invoke, Compel and Tag it? Is there a mini-game associated with it in anyway, where the players get to guess at the aspect of the scenario and the first to guess gets the free tag?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 08:26:54 PM »
I think if you want 10 aspects, just go ahead and give them 10. Those with less won't be compelled as much but in return won't have quite so many avenues for invocation (although as Addicted2aa says, seven seems plenty to me).

That's just what I was thinking.

I dunno if I'd want 10 Aspects, but it seems to work for Spirit Of The Century.

In any case, Aspects shouldn't be purchased with skill points or Refresh. Their advantages are perfectly balanced by their drawbacks, because both are pretty much fiat.

Offline Addicted2aa

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 08:34:17 PM »
That's just what I was thinking.

I dunno if I'd want 10 Aspects, but it seems to work for Spirit Of The Century.

In any case, Aspects shouldn't be purchased with skill points or Refresh. Their advantages are perfectly balanced by their drawbacks, because both are pretty much fiat.

Haven't played any SoTC  yet, but I got the impression it was more streamlined. The lack of powers making the game slightly simpler.

Offline PapaD

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 11:25:32 AM »
For my party, i created an 'aspect cheat sheet' in excel, giving all of the PC's aspects - seems to work well as they definitely offer up a lot of suggestions as to how the aspects of other characters could be used.