Author Topic: Spring Autumn Courts homebrew  (Read 4932 times)

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Spring Autumn Courts homebrew
« on: October 16, 2012, 06:59:54 PM »
Hey I made this up and havent seen anything even remotely close so I wanted to get some oppinions on it.

So Summer is: wildness, birth, growth, renewal, fire
And Winter is: wildness, death, decay, slumber,ice
In their essential nature, Which is what they can cast as magic.

So for Spring I did this: Order, rebirth, imbue, commence, electricity
And Autumn this: Order, undeath, drain, respite, earth

I chose electricity for spring over wind because Sidhe magic doesnt follow the same rules as mortal magics from my understanding and electricity fits in a little better in my oppinion.

I also changed a little in the rulers, for Spring and Autumn I decided that they were a little opposite of Summer and Winter, enough that I chose to use Kings instead of Queens. Thus there is a Father, King and Lord.

I would love some feedback and will later post information on my homebrew for the Swords of the Court Knights and My creations for two of the Knights themselves
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 07:14:49 PM by Lavecki121 »

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Spring Autumn Courts homebrew
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 07:02:04 PM »
What is imbide

Offline Keravin

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 07:25:09 PM »
If you have a look in the Yorkshire campaign you can see we've been playing with Autumn a lot.  Gone for the similar patriachal society as well.

Why not wind with autumn?  Blustery days seem very autumny.   Undeath doesn't seem to work for Autumn. 

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 07:35:57 PM »
Yea I thought wind would work nicely with autumn but I liked the more opposite feel where i associate the electricity with spring from storms so sky and fall has that nice earthy feel. But I could consider changing it.

I had a hard time with that part. I picked undeath because the trees are still alive but the leaves are dying, so they are kind of in between life and death. If you have a better idea i would love to hear it  :D

Offline Keravin

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 07:43:01 PM »
Yeah as I said you may want to go read my Yorkshire thread.  Lots of Autumn court discussion in there.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 08:12:39 PM »
Yea I am reading up on it right now. It took me a little while to find. Im going to post some IoP on this thread too tonight and a couple of characters.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 08:23:19 PM »
Might as well leave these here, maybe they'll be inspirational or something.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Llayne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 08:24:58 PM »
I had worked up some Autumn Magic a while back, I still have a number of ideas I'd like to use with them if I ever get the chance. I went with Air/Wind also... Growth/Birth and Earth just seemed to feel right to me.

I think it was White Wolf's Dark Age: Mage sourcebook i referenced back then, but they had a fairly interesting write up for the Four Seasons for their Old Faith casters. Autumn was associated with maturity, things and ideas reaching their full potential. Harvest being associated with Fall I suppose. (I don't remember the whole write up)

I never did like the feel of undead or necromancy for the 'nature flavored' magic of the Fae, but everybody has their own tastes. I do like some of the stuff from the Yorkshire thread.

Offline Addicted2aa

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 08:31:33 PM »
Might as well leave these here, maybe they'll be inspirational or something.

(click to show/hide)

The Autumn Stuff
(click to show/hide)
Everything I need to know in life I learned from Fear The Boot

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 08:34:36 PM »
Yeah, harvest and earth seem better fits with Autumn than undeath.  Maybe sleep, since that's another way that you could envision trees dropping leaves and animals getting ready to hibernate.  Dreams would tie in nicely with Sleep.  I don't think that's been added to any of the fae magics yet.

On the theme of Preparation for Winter during Autumn I think Dreams make sense again if you believe in the prophetic ones.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 08:42:27 PM »
When you harvest plants, you kill them. And the ones you don't harvest die anyway. Hunting animals is similar. Fall is the time of year where life ends.

Things are born in spring, live in summer, die in autumn, and are dead in winter.

So Autumn Magic is mostly about destroying things and harvesting the leftovers.

(My decision to make the Grim Reaper an Autumn lord may have played a factor. If you swap him out for Cronus or some other harvest god, you might want something less death-y.)

Offline Addicted2aa

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 08:47:43 PM »
Yeah, harvest and earth seem better fits with Autumn than undeath.  Maybe sleep, since that's another way that you could envision trees dropping leaves and animals getting ready to hibernate.  Dreams would tie in nicely with Sleep.  I don't think that's been added to any of the fae magics yet.

On the theme of Preparation for Winter during Autumn I think Dreams make sense again if you believe in the prophetic ones.
I would change Winter to add sleep to it in that case. Hibernation and all that

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 08:49:26 PM »
Winter already has a portfolio though, there's no reason to add even more to it.

Offline Addicted2aa

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 09:01:41 PM »
Winter already has a portfolio though, there's no reason to add even more to it.
Especially since it's already in winter. Just noticed the slumber is a part of it :P

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 09:10:17 PM »
Nice.