Author Topic: Different Catches for Fay  (Read 1533 times)

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Different Catches for Fay
« on: October 16, 2012, 08:04:25 PM »
As I'd mentionned in a previous thread, I'm doing a Homebrew based loosely on the Rokugan Setting, which is Feudal Japanese in flavour.  There are European settlers.

Since Fairies/Nevernever tend to be a reflection of the people places they mirror, I thought I'd give them different catches to give it a bit more flavour.

So I've left the European-type Monsters/changelings have iron catches, I just don't know what to do with the Rokugan fay.

My plan was to divide it into 8 Gods who fell from the sky.  Power-wise, they'd be in the same league as Summer and Winter Queens - Maybe somewhat more diminished:

All of the Gods live in the Nevernever, except one, Fu Leng, of whom lives in a place where the Nevernever and mortal realms co-exist(he's currently imprisonned).  This place is the corrupted Shadowlands.  His minions have a Catch of Jade and Holy.

The other Godlings created the clans:
Crane: Politicians
Scorpion: Ninja, opium, subterfuge
Lion: Samurai, Honour
Dragon: Martial artists, Masters of Hand to Hand combat
Crab: Defenders against the Shadowlands.  Warriors
Phoenix:  Mages, sages
Unicorn:  Horseman

What do you think?  Is this a good way to split things up?  What would be the Catches?

Keep in mind that these are still fairies/Ogres/etc.. from the Nevernever and not Demons/Angels/Outsiders.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
Re: Different Catches for Fay
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 08:07:51 PM »
I know that eastern mythology is big on balancing and counters and stuff. When I was looking up the Chinese elements for some of my Japanese demons (Kappa. ... Yes, the Ninja Turtles, shush), I found that each element counters another, sorta like Rock Paper Scissors (or Pokemon), but at the same time each element also generates another. That might be a way to do it, if not by domain, then maybe by the creatures.

Quote from: Wikipedia
Generating

Wood feeds fire;
    Fire creates earth (ash);
    Earth bears metal;
    Metal collects water;
    Water nourishes wood.

Overcoming

Wood parts earth;
    Earth absorbs water;
    Water quenches fire;
    Fire melts metal;
    Metal chops wood.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 08:27:23 PM »
I really like Mr. Deaths. I had some ideas but his trumps mine by far. the only thing you would have to do is figure out two more elements

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 08:33:54 PM »
I really like Mr. Deaths. I had some ideas but his trumps mine by far. the only thing you would have to do is figure out two more elements

Shadow(Obsidian) and Light(Jade)?

TBH, They don't have to fall under the different clans, but I thought that was a good way of doing it since the setting has the Shadowlands and Jade is the catch.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 08:35:27 PM by Taran »

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 09:36:49 PM »
Just a note:
Not all the denizens of the Nevernever are Fae - the Fae are just the ones that live the closest to the mortal world.

So if you want to create races from scratch (different strengths, weaknesses, catches, etc) it all fits in with the books - especially since:
(click to show/hide)

Richard

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 03:53:08 AM »
Just a note:
Not all the denizens of the Nevernever are Fae - the Fae are just the ones that live the closest to the mortal world.

So if you want to create races from scratch (different strengths, weaknesses, catches, etc) it all fits in with the books - especially since:
(click to show/hide)

Richard
Yeah, it's been so long since I read it that I don't remember the reference you're making.  Maybe you can PM it to me.

I have to admit that I get a bit confused with the Dresden Pantheon.  There is a God and Angels, and Devils/Demons.  There are Outsiders
(click to show/hide)
(not sure if that's spoiler stuff) Do they still exist in the Nevernever? Does the White God?

I had a point to that last bit, but I don't really know what I'm getting at.  *sigh*
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 02:31:48 PM by Taran »

Offline Jack B

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 02:05:39 PM »

I have to admit that I get a bit confused with the Dresden Pantheon.  There is a God and Angels, and Devils/Demons.  There are Outsiders which, I guess , are lost or forgotten Gods. (not sure if that's spoiler stuff) Do they still exist in the Nevernever? Does the White God?

Spoiler for Dresden pantheon including some names(to the best of my limited knowledge and/or understanding):
(click to show/hide)
Spoiler for changes to answer Taran's question:
(click to show/hide)

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 08:46:03 PM »
Spoiler for changes to answer Taran's question:
(click to show/hide)

That's right.  They are non-Fae and they show up when needed the most.

Ghost Story is a good novel to read if you want to learn a bit more about the spiritual side of the DV.  By spiritual side, I mean ghosts, spirits, etc.

Richard