Author Topic: Help please, new to game  (Read 5370 times)

Offline Catryn008

• Participant
    • View Profile
Help please, new to game
« on: October 13, 2012, 01:47:04 AM »
I'm going to start running a game of the Dresden files with my friends.  And other than playing a couple of times at a con, we don't have any real experience with the system... :/

I'm trying to come up with a unique NPC but I'm stuck.

My game is based in Charlotte, NC and is ripe with old indian folklore. So I thought they might enjoy running in to a creature that they couldn't read about in the system books.  (yes, my players have the annoying quality of reading! :P )

The creature I want to create is called a Yehasuri.  The legends describe them as mischevious, dwarf/gnome (2' tall) creatures. They are tricksters, not generally dangerous, but their tricks can be destructive. Once you have angered them, they will steal the children's footprints and shadows. They live in old tree stumps and there's a specific ritual to get rid of them.

I decided to make them wyldfae.

Here's what I've come up with so far:

Yehasuri
High concept: Faerie trickster
other aspect: Quick to anger, slow to forget

Skills:
TBD

Powers
Diminutive Size [-1]
The catch [+1] Cold iron and [+/-0] ritual of offering
Inhuman speed [-2]
Glamours [-2]
Magic???--here's where I'm getting hung up. I want to them to have some type of magic that allows them to slowly erase someone's marks from existence (like the footprints and shadows and moving up to fingerprints, smell, etc.). They would never remove the person from existence, I think that's too powerful. In fact, I'm thinking they take those elements from the victim and have them in the nevernever. So in theory someone could go and get all their markers back (peter pan-ish). I'm just not sure what to call it...I keep coming up with aspect sounding names like "leaving no trace", "lost", "trackless", etc. And should it be a ritual?

I'm still a little confused on all the magic rules (and thankfully I only have a couple of minor talents in the game!).  Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Karen
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 01:50:37 AM by Catryn008 »

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Help please, new to game
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 02:07:30 AM »
Magic???--here's where I'm getting hung up. I want to them to have some type of magic that allows them to slowly erase someone's marks from existence (like the footprints and shadows and moving up to fingerprints, smell, etc.). They would never remove the person from existence, I think that's too powerful. In fact, I'm thinking they take those elements from the victim and have them in the nevernever. So in theory someone could go and get all their markers back (peter pan-ish). I'm just not sure what to call it...I keep coming up with aspect sounding names like "leaving no trace", "lost", "trackless", etc. And should it be a ritual?

I'm still a little confused on all the magic rules (and thankfully I only have a couple of minor talents in the game!).  Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Karen

I think you have to determine what it will do.  What does having no shadow do?  Is it a mental consequence?  A social one?  Is it an aspect/maneuver that you can compel on the target?  If we hammer that down, it should be fairly easy to come up with a mechanic for it.  My first instinct was make it some kind of Incite Power that does mental damage.  So, as the victim loses elements, they begin to forget who they are. If you were to take someone out with this, they'd become a vegetable and/or cease to exist. Basically framing it as mental consequences that have physical manifestations.  Can they do this magic from anywhere, or do they have to physically(kind of) steal it?  From your description, it sounds like they cast it.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 02:12:05 AM by Taran »

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 04:33:47 AM »
My game is based in Charlotte, NC and is ripe with old indian folklore. So I thought they might enjoy running in to a creature that they couldn't read about in the system books.
Sounds interesting!

The creature I want to create is called a Yehasuri.  The legends describe them as mischevious, dwarf/gnome (2' tall) creatures. They are tricksters, not generally dangerous, but their tricks can be destructive. Once you have angered them, they will steal the children's footprints and shadows. They live in old tree stumps and there's a specific ritual to get rid of them.
   <snip>
There are many options, the simplest are going to be attacks or maneuvers.  But the first question should be 'what happens'?  How is someone effected by theft of their traces on the world?  If it damages them, it's an attack - consequences may be Shadowless or whatever is appropriate.  Perhaps it's better modeled as a block - people have to surpass the block to interact with the victim, maybe even to realize the victim is there.  Since it could also be a maneuver, I'd probably go with a unique 'element' of Channelling to model the power.  That gives the Yehasuri flexibility. 

You may want to give more powerful Yehasuri Ritual as well.  That way you can set up longer lasting effects and plot hooks.  However, for game play purposes, I tend to limit NPC ritual use to immediate effects and plot devices.  I want to avoid ritual becoming the 'excuse of the day'...the reason for bad stuff happening without PC input.  So I'd limit ritual plot hooks and initial set up.  Thaumaturgy should take more time any way.  :)
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 07:20:43 AM »
If you did go the Ritual route just stat them out for Transformation or Summoning rituals.  If they store the stolen traces of a person in the Nevernever then Summoning and Binding those things might make the most sense.  A sponsored magic or as a specialized Channeling as UmbraLux suggested would definitely give them a more immediate and flexible edge.

Even if the theft of people's traces do nothing to damage them in any way directly it will almost definitely at least place a sticky aspect on the target via a maneuver.  The more traces get taken from an individual the more aspects placed and available for invoking or compelling which can lead to complications for characters quite quickly.  This would actually be a fun way to handle it in my opinion.  It means the Yehasuri is just playing its tricks and all the trouble caused can keep getting taken advantage of by completely unrelated parties.  Of course the Yehauri can also take advantage too if it wishes to be more directly involved in the mayhem.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 03:05:53 PM »
Yehasuri
High concept: Faerie trickster
other aspect: Quick to anger, slow to forget

Skills:
TBD

Powers
Diminutive Size [-1]
The catch [+1] Cold iron and [+/-0] ritual of offering
Inhuman speed [-2]
Glamours [-2]
If you're going by the book, you only get the discount of The Catch if it's attached to a Toughness or Recovery power.

Aside from that, Taran's right--what does it do, how do you want the stuff to work?

As Taran said, you'll
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 09:32:12 PM »
What about the traces you leave in the minds of those you meet? Are those erased as well?

Offline Catryn008

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 04:25:44 PM »
I'm thinking that eventually, yes, any traces you have left in the memories of others will disappear too. Now you'll stay in anything physical, photos, etc. So there will be evidence you existed, but people will tend to make up a story about who you were.  "Oh that isn't my kid. It's my second cousin's." when in fact it IS your kid.

Ok, this has given me alot to think about. And Thanks for the catch on my mistake with the catch...(no pun intended).

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 05:03:42 PM »
Tell us how it turned out, and what you did!  I'm interested anyways.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Catryn008

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 01:41:37 AM »
Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you guys. We've only been able to have one game so far and the PCs didn't make it into a conflict with the Yehasuri.  :)  They know something is going on, but they have no idea what. (Which I have to admit is fun, cause these guys are experienced RPers and can usually figure things out before I want them to! LOL)

Anyway, here's the stats I've come up with:
Yehasuri
High Aspect: Faerie trickster
Aspect: Quick to anger, slow to forget

Initiative
Alertness (+4) Inhuman speed (+4) = 8

Skills:
Stealth: +4 (under darkness +2)
Alertness:+4
Deceit: +4
Burglary: +3
Athletics: +3 (+1 to all) (+2 to dodge)
Presence: +3
Rapport +2
Discipline: +2
Weapons +2

Stunts:
None

Powers:
Diminutive Size [-1]--Hard to detect--+4 to Stealth attempts to remain hidden; Small is big--+2 to any perception (Alertness, Investigation); Wee--Endurance no greater than mediocre for health stress capacity, use of Might skill -2 to -4, inflict only 1 point of physical stress per attack (can be improved with weapons), +1 Athletics to dodge
The catch [+0]--Cold iron and [+/-0] ritual of offering
Inhuman speed [-2]--+4 Alertness for initiative, +1 to all Athletics checks, move to another zone without the -1 penalty, difficulty factors due to moving are reduced by two when rolling Stealth
Glamours [-2]--minor veils & seemings
Cloak of shadows [-1]--See in the dark--no penalty for darkness; Melt into the shadows--under cover of darkness +2 bonus to stealth

Refresh spent -6

Mental: OOOO
Physical: OO
Social: OOO

And for the leader:

Big Little Man
High Aspect: Faerie trickster/Yehasuri Chieftain
Aspect: Blood In-charge around here

Initiative
Alertness (+4) Inhuman speed (+4) = 8

Skills:
Stealth: +5 (under darkness +2)
Alertness:+4
Deceit: +4
Discipline: +3
Conviction: +3
Athletics: +3 (+1 to all) (+2 to dodge)
Presence: +2
Burglary: +2
Rapport +2
Investigation +1
Lore +1
Survival +1

Stunts:
None

Powers:
Diminutive Size [-1]--Hard to detect--+4 to Stealth attempts to remain hidden; Small is big--+2 to any perception (Alertness, Investigation); Wee--Endurance no greater than mediocre for health stress capacity, use of Might skill -2 to -4, inflict only 1 point of physical stress per attack (can be improved with weapons), +1 Athletics to dodge
Inhuman speed [-2]--+4 Alertness for initiative, +1 to all Athletics checks, move to another zone without the -1 penalty, difficulty factors due to moving are reduced by two when rolling Stealth
Glamours [-2]--minor veils & seemings
Thaumaturgy [-3]
Minor aspect: Losing yourself--retina identification, fingerprints gone, hair shows up as generic human
Moderate aspect: No shadow--no longer casts a shadow, doesn't leave footprints
Major aspect: Forgotten--Doesn't remember self, others forget as well
Taken out: Lost--target pulled into the Nevernever, after 6 months, memories of human world too weak to pull target out of the Nevernever.
Channeling [-2]--Spirit (trappings of darkness)
Cloak of shadows [-1]--See in the dark--no penalty for darkness; Melt into the shadows--under cover of darkness +2 bonus to stealth

Refresh spent -11

TBD--Two focus item slots

Mental: OOOO
Physical: OO
Social: OOO

Let me know what you guys think.  I'm thinking they will probably face two to three of the normal ones and when they face the Chieftain, he'll probably have a couple around him too.  Do you think these guys are too much?  My players' characters consist of a mortal (thief), Changeling (half nixie), emissary of power (Summer Court), Minor talent. No pure wizards in the group.  :) 

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 08:10:04 AM »
Yehasuri
High Aspect: Faerie trickster

Skills:
+4: Alertness, Deceit, Stealth
+3: athletics, Burglary, Presence
+2: Discipline, Rapport, Weapons
+1: ...

Physical Combat:
Initiative 8
Attack: Targeting 2, weapon 1 (knives?)
Defense: 5
Likely Maneuvers: Skill 6 (stealth in darkness) or skill 4 (stealth or glamour)

Expected tactics:
Destroy light sources or pick a fight in a naturally dark area.  Ideally one that you can see in, but your targets can't.
Use speed power to stay one zone away from the party while generating stealth or glamour aspects against them, then move in for the kill.

Oddly, have more presence than the boss.

---------------

Big Little Man

5: Stealth
4: Alertness, Deceit
3: Athletics, Conviction, Discipline
2: Burglary, Presence, Rapport
1: Investigation, Lore, Survival

Physical Combat:
Initiative 8
Attacks: Evocation targeting 3, power 3
Defense: 5
Likely Maneuvers: Skill 7 (stealth in darkness) or skill 4 (stealth or glamour)

Actually gets 4 focus item slots, 2 from full Thaumaturgy, 2 from channeling
But not very good at Thaumaturgy at all: very low base lore, and not enough control for 'big' thaumaturgy, so can't really manage 'big' (over complexity 5-8) without several sacrifices or similar short cuts.

Expected tactics:
Exploit the fact that evocation has unlimited range, and try to stay far away and un-located, while you unload on your targets.  Some dark and open area with small cover is ideal, like a field at night.
Lack of alternative means of attack, and relatively low attack power mean he'll need to spend time maneuvering to generate maximum effect, or accept passed maneuvers from minions.

----------------

They look interesting, probably biggest potential problem is the players getting frustrated.  How interested is your group in coming up with clever tactics?

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 06:06:20 PM »

Minor aspect: Losing yourself--retina identification, fingerprints gone, hair shows up as generic human
Moderate aspect: No shadow--no longer casts a shadow, doesn't leave footprints
Major aspect: Forgotten--Doesn't remember self, others forget as well
Taken out: Lost--target pulled into the Nevernever, after 6 months, memories of human world too weak to pull target out of the Nevernever.

First I would say again that you dont need the catch if there are no toughness powers. A player could make a declaration that the creature is infact a fairy and should be weak against iron, granting them a +2 tag if they have an iron weapon, but you dont need the power there unless you have toughness powers or recovery powers.

I also ask why you have the consequences stated out. Is this an NPC that is wandering around with these consequences, after some time consequences do go away unless they are extreme consequences. If these are aspects then I suggest putting them in the actual aspects part

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 07:42:08 PM »
Lavecki:  Those are the consequences that the Yasahuri inflicts, it's nice to see what he worked out there actually.

I think the catch is there to act as a countermeasure to start recovery from the consequences, but I could be wrong.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 08:24:47 PM »
@Mrm - Oh ok

Also does evocation have unlimited range? I thought it was line of sight at the most.

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 08:28:35 PM »
Yeah line of sight.

He might have meant thaumaturgy"

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 08:30:57 PM »
Lavecki:  Those are the consequences that the Yasahuri inflicts, it's nice to see what he worked out there actually.
Also the issue I have with that is it is strange that they are losing fingerprints and stuff for at most one scene. Milds dont last that long, and if they have recovery the mild wouldnt last any longer than that scene