Author Topic: Wings and dropping people  (Read 7495 times)

Offline Lamech

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Wings and dropping people
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 04:22:20 AM »
End of Adventure Boss:  "I grapple, then start flying up...I keep flying up....I keep flying up..."  Meanwhile, if the boss can't get out of the grapple within the first couple rounds, he's pretty much screwed.
Naw, if a lone enemy gets grappled for several rounds against a team their a goner. Aspects will start to build and it will quickly become impossible to break the grapple. Then other PC's join the fun, the aspects spiral out of control, and the baddie dies.

Consider the following scenario: Due to a hilariously large number of fate points being spent, the shagnasty gets grappled by 6 squirrels.
Round 1: Shagnasty can't do anything to to the large blocks from a fate point spam.
Round 2: The shagnasty gets 6 aspects placed on it. Which ever squirrel rolled well tags a few of the aspects to get a block of lots. Shagnasty can't break free.
Round 3+: The aspects start to build up and up until the squirrels have a nice pile of backup tags.
Final round: Squirrels switch to stress, and tag to increase the stress to an absurd level. The shagnasty is finally gnawed to death. Also very upset that it was defeated by a pack of squirrels.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 11:17:48 AM »
Naw, if a lone enemy gets grappled for several rounds against a team their a goner. Aspects will start to build and it will quickly become impossible to break the grapple. Then other PC's join the fun, the aspects spiral out of control, and the baddie dies.

Consider the following scenario: Due to a hilariously large number of fate points being spent, the shagnasty gets grappled by 6 squirrels.
Round 1: Shagnasty can't do anything to to the large blocks from a fate point spam.
Round 2: The shagnasty gets 6 aspects placed on it. Which ever squirrel rolled well tags a few of the aspects to get a block of lots. Shagnasty can't break free.
Round 3+: The aspects start to build up and up until the squirrels have a nice pile of backup tags.
Final round: Squirrels switch to stress, and tag to increase the stress to an absurd level. The shagnasty is finally gnawed to death. Also very upset that it was defeated by a pack of squirrels.

I think this happened to Doctor Doom once. :)

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 12:04:09 PM »
I know that in D&D shooting any ranged thing into a mele carries a penalty and attacking someone who is grappled can cause you to hit the grapple and vice verse, clearly this is not D&D, we do not have strict mele engagements like that. On the other hand, it could make sense to impose situational modifiers or other effects if someone tries to attack a grappled foe, either in mele or range (or both). Nothing about this subject is actually in the rules afaik but whenever something like this comes up we discuss how best to handle it at our table and just do that, if you ahve a method you like just tell your players before it comes up so you all have the same expectations.

I'm just going to leave it up to declarations and compels. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 12:08:47 PM by Taran »

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 12:08:45 PM »
(bolding added)
I do not recall this being concensus.  I do recall some members stating this to be their opinion.
We didn't exactly take a vote or anything, but as I recall, that part of it wasn't long disputed. There seemed to be general agreement that reversing a grapple needed more justification than just being grappled--meaning either a maneuver or another aspect to tag, or a stunt to that effect.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 01:24:14 PM »
We didn't exactly take a vote or anything, but as I recall, that part of it wasn't long disputed. There seemed to be general agreement that reversing a grapple needed more justification than just being grappled--meaning either a maneuver or another aspect to tag, or a stunt to that effect.
It would seem to me that this would be dependant on the specific nature and narration of the original aspect and resulting grapple, rather than being a default ruling.

Should it be hypothetically possible that the same aspect be invoked on the part of both grapplers to justify their access to the mechanics?  I believe it should.
Should it be relied upon without question that the above is possible?  I do not believe it should.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Jack B

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2012, 03:23:08 PM »
I'm not overly clear on the grapple rules but wouldn't both the player and the baddie fall if the baddie successfully pulls a reversal and the player doesn't beat the block?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 03:32:02 PM »
I'm not overly clear on the grapple rules but wouldn't both the player and the baddie fall if the baddie successfully pulls a reversal and the player doesn't beat the block?
I'd flavour it like this: 
Flyer tries to drop baddie and instead the baddie grabs the flyer around the neck and waist and starts choking him.  He's blocking all actions except movement, basically.  So he can start using his supplemental each round to do stress, which might cause the flyer to want to land.
I'm not sure what physical options someone would have while in the air.  Maybe, as a supplemental, you could put on a maneuver like "steering my ride" and tag it compel the flyer to land...dunno.

You certainly wouldn't want to block movement because then you'd both fall, I think...but depending on how much stress you're both going to take and how tough you are compared to the flyer, it might be the best option...

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2012, 03:38:59 PM »
If they could wriggle a weapon free and hold it point blank to the flier, they could also try to Intimidate their way down safely.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2012, 08:56:57 PM »
Maybe we could add a "throw" action to the general rules for grapples and include a bonus for throwing someone into something sharp or from a high height.

Add some better falling rules for cases where the grapple simply ends, and bob's your uncle.

I think it's best to let people judge for themselves what the thread said. Unless I screwed up my search, this is it.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2012, 12:10:22 AM »
Maybe we could add a "throw" action to the general rules for grapples and include a bonus for throwing someone into something sharp or from a high height.
That bonus is called 'an invoke or a tag of an appropriate aspect'
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2012, 02:50:02 AM »
You could do it that way, but I was thinking of letting the things you throw people at count as weapons for a Might attack.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2012, 09:37:43 AM »
You could do it that way, but I was thinking of letting the things you throw people at count as weapons for a Might attack.

She specifically said she wants to drop enemies on fences and other nasty stuff.  After the declaration, I don't know how I'd do it.

Since I'm going to do a Might vs Might to release the victim, I could add the difference as added stress on top of the fall damage.

Or I was just mostly thinking a Might attack at weapon 0 vs athletics.  If she misses, then she fails to drop them on the fence, if she succeeds, she gets to do extra damage = to shifts gained (on top of the stress for falling).  It's an extra roll, but I think it's appropriate for the circumstance.

Offline Jack B

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2012, 01:19:52 PM »
She specifically said she wants to drop enemies on fences and other nasty stuff.  After the declaration, I don't know how I'd do it.

Since I'm going to do a Might vs Might to release the victim, I could add the difference as added stress on top of the fall damage.

Or I was just mostly thinking a Might attack at weapon 0 vs athletics.  If she misses, then she fails to drop them on the fence, if she succeeds, she gets to do extra damage = to shifts gained (on top of the stress for falling).  It's an extra roll, but I think it's appropriate for the circumstance.

I would simply let it do +2 stress to account for the declaration tag.  Alternatively, it might meet a specific catch (cold iron) instead of added damage.

What if she dropped the baddie on another baddie though?

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2012, 02:23:37 PM »

Sounds like a Spray attack.
Slough

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2012, 02:24:28 PM »
I would simply let it do +2 stress to account for the declaration tag.  Alternatively, it might meet a specific catch (cold iron) instead of added damage.
Good point

Huh...yeah, I hadn't thought of that - and probably should have since it seems like a no-brainer to try to do that.
-A Targeting(Might) role vs athletics.  Success means both targets take the falling damage (athletics result would mitigate some of the damage)? 
-Allocate the damage like a spray attack?  (Tedronai: you beat me to it)

Gah.  None of this seems very intuitive.