Linked Events

• Signing in Chicago, IL (Skokie): November 30, 2012

Author Topic: Signing in Chicago, IL (Skokie) 11/30/12  (Read 17959 times)

Offline shibler2

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Signing in Chicago, IL (Skokie) 11/30/12
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2012, 02:15:14 PM »
Kalamazoo, eh?  Me and the GF are driving in from the Detroit Metro area.  Unfortunately we're making a long weekend out of the trip, so carpooling isn't an option.  :-/
... But it should be a kickass time!

Does anyone know whether or not there's any McAnally-Like pubs nearby?  That'd be a fun detour after the signing for more conversational hangings-out.

Yeah with a teenage daughter at home I can't leave for more then a day and cringe at doing that.....we all know what we were like back then.....ugh how did I make to adulthood?

Hope to meet some of you there I have to put in for the time off shouldn't be a problem..

shibby ..
Life is like a box of chocolates and Harry seems to find all the coconut ones!

Offline MathGeek

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2012, 08:30:44 PM »
Small world... I use to repair computers and printers at K College and Western as well all the time.... I did that from 2003 to 2008 when did you attend?

shibby

Alas, we graduated in 2002 so you just missed us.

Offline shibler2

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2012, 03:45:06 PM »
Alas, we graduated in 2002 so you just missed us.

Ahh the story of my life a day late and a dollar short....

shibby ...
Life is like a box of chocolates and Harry seems to find all the coconut ones!

Offline Chiroptera

• Needs A Life
  • Serious battitude
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2012, 05:27:38 PM »
Kalamazoo, eh?  Me and the GF are driving in from the Detroit Metro area.  Unfortunately we're making a long weekend out of the trip, so carpooling isn't an option.  :-/
... But it should be a kickass time!

Does anyone know whether or not there's any McAnally-Like pubs nearby?  That'd be a fun detour after the signing for more conversational hangings-out.

I know some places, but I don't think they are terribly close to the Skokie area.  I'll check into it.
"I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once.  But by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbors dog." -Dwight Schrute

"And remember, if you are bitten by a bat, you will convulse and turn into one; it is a scientific fact." -MST3K

Offline BookLover♥

• Posty McPostington
  • Pass-Set-Crush!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2012, 03:29:14 PM »
I'll be at the Chicago event!  We'll be getting in just in time for the signing on Friday night, but are going to spend Saturday wandering around town - we'll likely hit some of the sites mentioned in the books again.

We're staying at a Holiday Inn Express in Arlington Heights.  Probably about a 20-25 minute drive from the signing (dep on traffic), but decent rates.  And free breakfast!

Offline Chiroptera

• Needs A Life
  • Serious battitude
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2012, 04:55:57 PM »
I hope to get to meet you, BL!

"I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once.  But by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbors dog." -Dwight Schrute

"And remember, if you are bitten by a bat, you will convulse and turn into one; it is a scientific fact." -MST3K

Offline sequestris

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2012, 06:29:42 AM »
Hi All.

I posted this in the main 2012 Signing thread, but thought I would ask here as well.

I am planning to get the book for my boyfriend to get signed.

I know that I have to purchase it from Barnes & Noble, but does that need to be a brick and mortar store, or will an online purchase be sufficient?

Offline MathGeek

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2012, 06:43:15 AM »
You can call and ask the store.  I called about buying a book at another Barnes and Noble (because who can wait 3 days, really?) and they said it would be fine as long as I bought the receipt with me.  So I imagine ordering from BN online would be ok, but best to double check

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2012, 01:32:15 PM »
You can call and ask the store.  I called about buying a book at another Barnes and Noble (because who can wait 3 days, really?) and they said it would be fine as long as I bought the receipt with me.  So I imagine ordering from BN online would be ok, but best to double check

This. Always a good idea to check with the specific store. And (I hate to have to say this, but it's needed) get the name of the person you talk with, because I've heard a few stories of the staff person at the event claiming a different policy. Not many, but still.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline sequestris

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2012, 01:09:22 AM »
Thanks guys.
I'm lucky because there are 4 B&Ns within 20 minutes of me, so if I can't get the book one place, I'm sure another will have it.
I'm hoping that once the 27th rolls around that I can do the "pick up in store" option.

Offline BookLover♥

• Posty McPostington
  • Pass-Set-Crush!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2012, 06:55:53 PM »
I hope to get to meet you, BL!

That would be great!  I'll be with at least 2 other people, probably wearing matching "Order of the Large Cooking Pot" black t-shirts.  Otherwise, you'll be able to find me by looking for my 6 ft. tall, rail thin, 14 yr old daughter!

We won't get there until about 90 minutes before the signing, because we're not leaving here until a little after noon.

Offline sequestris

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2012, 05:59:19 PM »
Just as am FYI...

Just talked to the bookstore.
The ticketing for the signing begins at 9:00 AM tomorrow Friday 11/30.
That is when you show your B&N purchased copy of Cold Days (with receipt) and get a ticket (numbered) for the signing.
There will be only ONE ticket allowed per person (so you can't get multiple tickets and give them to others).
The signing itself is at 7:00 PM CST.
If you do not have a ticket, you will not be allowed into the store for the signing.

Offline BookLover♥

• Posty McPostington
  • Pass-Set-Crush!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2012, 12:39:26 AM »
Got info from a trustworthy source that the Chicago signing is cancelled, too. Here's to Jim getting better!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 01:07:12 AM by BookLover♥ »

Offline MathGeek

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2012, 01:48:37 AM »
Got info from a trustworthy source that the Chicago signing is cancelled, too. Here's to Jim getting better!

That's too bad, but thanks for the update.  I hope it's nothing serious, and if you read this Jim: Get better!  We are sad to miss you, but  still think you are best for how you treat your fans. 

Offline sequestris

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2012, 05:40:08 AM »
Is there anything official psoted about the Chicago signing? I saw the one about Kansas City and I'm assuming he won't be better by tomorrow night :(