Linked Events

• Signing in Kansas City, MO: November 29, 2012

Author Topic: Signing in Kansas City, MO 11/29/12  (Read 20593 times)

Offline bmillard

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Signing in Kansas City, MO 11/29/12
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2012, 06:24:46 PM »
Unity looked like it would have been a great venue for a Q&A, I hope to make it back for another one one day. I got the call from Rainy Day about 2.5 hours into my 3 hour drive, very nice people by the way, finished the drive because I wanted the book! A big thanks to laura118b for pointing out the free parking garage a block and half away. And poor Jim, hope he feels better soon, he deserves a vacation.

Offline laura118b

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2012, 04:50:46 AM »
You're welcome.  I didn't realize there is one that attaches to Unity on the right side when looking at it.  I haven't driven in from that direction before.  Man, did I get turned around inside of there coming in from the back.  If you park in the attached garage you come in a floor off by the organic restaurant. 

Offline laura118b

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2012, 05:52:49 AM »
Anyone heard yet if they confirmed the 11'th yet?

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2012, 07:05:30 AM »
Anyone heard yet if they confirmed the 11'th yet?

Pretty sure it won't be December 11th.  Too soon.

Offline laura118b

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2012, 05:09:58 PM »
Wow, no kidding too soon.  I called Rainy Day and they said he's gone back in the hospital.  They are hoping to know more around the 13'th.  They said they are trying to work on getting some books signed for the people who wanted to give them as Christmas gifts, but they don't have any idea yet about him speaking.

At least it's the hometown event, it's makes it far easier to hope it doesn't get cancelled out right.

And here's a good holiday wish...get better soon Jim, being that sick is a horrible way to spend your holidays.

Offline cheshirecatsith

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2012, 06:24:19 AM »
Well, after two trips to KC from Wichita, to see Unity Temple and other Jim Butcher fans, but no Jim Butcher, I'm pretty certain I can't make a third.

Several reasons for that, including some mentioned above.  Foremost, it's especially difficult for retail employees to get time off from work during the holiday rush.  Next, Country Club Plaza is bad enough to reach during a typical rush hour, but during the holiday season, only the diabolical would suggest it.  And though RDB's staff was there to advise us on the 29th that the signing wasn't happening, they DID say the 11th would happen, and there was nothing on the website today to indicate otherwise.

At least a dozen other people likewise didn't get the message.

I don't blame Jim Butcher for any of it. Getting well is all I ask of him.

If there's a chance he'll ever make a trip to Wichita or OKC, perhaps I'll get my chance for an autograph.

But, as long as Rainy Day Books is involved, there's not a snowball's chance in July Texas heat that I will.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2012, 09:28:26 AM »
Well, after two trips to KC from Wichita, to see Unity Temple and other Jim Butcher fans, but no Jim Butcher, I'm pretty certain I can't make a third.

Several reasons for that, including some mentioned above.  Foremost, it's especially difficult for retail employees to get time off from work during the holiday rush.  Next, Country Club Plaza is bad enough to reach during a typical rush hour, but during the holiday season, only the diabolical would suggest it.  And though RDB's staff was there to advise us on the 29th that the signing wasn't happening, they DID say the 11th would happen, and there was nothing on the website today to indicate otherwise.

At least a dozen other people likewise didn't get the message.

I don't blame Jim Butcher for any of it. Getting well is all I ask of him.

If there's a chance he'll ever make a trip to Wichita or OKC, perhaps I'll get my chance for an autograph.

But, as long as Rainy Day Books is involved, there's not a snowball's chance in July Texas heat that I will.

The heck?  That's deeply messed up.  I'm bringing this to Jim's publicist's attention.  RDB never should've given folks the idea that the event had been confirmed, because it never was. 

However, I would point out that we stated pretty clearly on the December 6th news posting on the website that the events hadn't yet been rescheduled: "Hopefully, he’ll be able to reschedule one or both of the missed signings soon. We’ll get you that info as soon as we have it!"  Also, there was no event listed for the 11th on Rainy Day Books' website.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 09:37:17 AM by Priscellie »

Offline laura118b

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2012, 10:46:13 AM »
Um, I don't know what to say.  Like my post above said Rainy Day very specifically told me that the 11'th was not happening.  Even at the first "signing" when I went to pick up my book they made it clear that they were hoping for the 11'th but to check with the store first.  They told me, and everyone else that was in line at the same time, to sign up for the newsletter or call the store for more info.  That's how I found out he'd had to go back to the hospital.

cheshirecatsith, I'm sorry this happened to you, but I've never had anything but good experiences with RDB in 20 something years of living in KC.

Edit because I can't spell worth a crap at 4:30 am. ;)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 10:49:08 AM by laura118b »

Offline SkullGod

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2012, 11:54:10 PM »
Even at the first "signing" when I went to pick up my book they made it clear that they were hoping for the 11'th but to check with the store first.

That's exactly what I heard them say at the original event on 11/29 as well. I've been following this thread and the RDB website every few days since.

Best wishes to Jim to get well soon! 

Offline cheshirecatsith

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2012, 05:22:51 AM »
That's exactly what I heard them say at the original event on 11/29 as well. I've been following this thread and the RDB website every few days since.
That's nice. That also smacks of saying, "nuh-uh, because I was there and they said this," when you weren't there with me, and didn't hear what the woman told me. Either on the phone, at RDB at 5:45, OR at the venue, half an hour later.

I'm sure nobody in the KC area thinks a whole lot about heading downtown after work for a book signing.
Someone who lives in Omaha, St. Louis, or Wichita? They're out of luck.

Best wishes to Jim to get well soon!

Same from me.  Again, I don't hold him responsible.

But all the same, I essentially spent over $100 for an unsigned copy of Cold Days.

Perhaps if I put it and my galley of Turn Coat on eBay, I can recoup my lost wages and gas fees.

Offline laura118b

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2012, 05:39:20 AM »
Nobody said that to you at all.  And heading to the Country Club Plaza at Christmas is a big deal for anyone, in Kansas City or not.

I don't know who you talked to there, but the four people I have dealt with all said the same thing, that they hoped it would be the 11'th but it wasn't confirmed with Jim's people yet.  You can look back and see that I posted that on the 8'th.  They have been clear at every step that they didn't know, and would pass along info as they got it.

I'm sorry this has left such a bad taste in your mouth, but if the number of people that mistakenly thought the signing was on again was only about 12 out of over (given my line number) 300, I don't think that really points to a huge problem.

Offline laura118b

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2012, 07:47:01 PM »
I just spoke to Rainy Day.  They say that Jim is still recovering and that the signing will be rescheduled for sometime in January, but that they don't have a date confirmed yet.  But sometime in January is still some news anyway. :)

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2012, 07:48:14 PM »
I received a call from RDB today letting me know that my signed copy is available in their store if I wanted to come get it.

They said that they would try to reschedule the event after the first of the year.  There were no guarentees.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline psaprez

• Lurker
  • No Handle Bars
    • View Profile
    • PSA Inc.
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2013, 08:28:55 PM »
Just a heads up, i got an email from Rainy Day Books, and the even has been rescheduled for this Thursday! All info Here http://www.rainydaybooks.com/JimButcher

Everything is basically the same as before, but with a new date.

Previous tickets dated from November will be honored.

DATE & TIME:  Thursday, January 24, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Your Previous JIM BUTCHER Admission Tickets that are Dated for Thursday, November 29, 2012 will be Valid for this Rescheduled and Booked Author Event!

LOCATION:  Unity Temple on The Plaza, Sanctuary, 707 W 47th Street, Kansas City, Missouri 64112

Offline laura118b

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2013, 05:36:20 AM »
Thanks for the heads up, I was going to call after the holiday on Tuesday but the more notice the better.