Author Topic: Voodoo practitionner  (Read 2047 times)

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Voodoo practitionner
« on: October 01, 2012, 01:14:40 AM »
Who do the Voodoo? One of my players wants to do the voodoo.

His concept is that since he's been separated from his homeland and family (he's a slave), he has no connection to True voodoo.  In game terms, he has no sponsor. His idea is that his character practices magic as a focused practitioner, thinking it was Actual voodoo,  until he found a new sponsor (good or bad depending on whether he gets tempted by the darker side of magic/voodoo.

We're "feet in the water"

What powers would he take?  As a focused practitioner, what would "voodoo" entail?  I could see him being tempted by the darker side and, perhaps, taking Lawbreaker.

He wanted to start as straight sorcerer, but obviously, he doesn't have the refresh to spare.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: Voodoo practitionner
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 01:55:40 AM »
I would recommend he start with Ritual, taking voodoo as a thematic grouping, contemplating the Sight and Refinement, along with one or two stunts.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Thanatos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 04:43:39 AM »
He should work "You remind me of the man..." in as an aspect.  Everyone is going to be saying it anyway, whether it's the version by Atomic Fireballs or the Labyrinth one featuring David Bowie's codpiece.

Offline Dougansf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 04:54:09 PM »
Who do the Voodoo? One of my players wants to do the voodoo.

We're "feet in the water"

What powers would he take?  As a focused practitioner, what would "voodoo" entail?  I could see him being tempted by the darker side and, perhaps, taking Lawbreaker.

He wanted to start as straight sorcerer, but obviously, he doesn't have the refresh to spare.

I actually played this exact concept in the game I PCed.  I made him with Channeling and Ritual, and the other wizard powers, with the expectation to upgrade to full Evocation and Thaumaturgy later (character was a "newbie" from Camp Kaboom).

In retrospect, after much looking around these forums, I think I would've been better off (or more appropriate) with Sponsored Magic.  Channeling and Ritual are still there, the voodoo theme is even more enforced, and you get the bonus of calling on your sponsor for power when you need it.

Good luck either way.

Offline Chrono

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 04:59:20 PM »
I recommend watching The Skeleton Key to get an idea of what voodoo is capable of, though they call it hoodoo in the film. I don't want to get into a debate about which is correct or applicable for this situation.

Suffice to say, the ritual magic will probably cover a lot of things under entropy and ectomancy. The good side would be protection from entropy curses and evil spirits, either on an individual basis or strengthening thresholds, and possibly some potions that help protect/heal from mental assults. The bad stuff would be bad luck curses, voo doo dolls, binding evil spirits into animals (like crocodiles), and maybe even switching bodies.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 08:06:51 PM »
to get an idea of what voodoo is capable of, though they call it hoodoo in the film.
Suffice to say, the ritual magic will probably cover a lot of things under entropy and ectomancy. The good side would be protection from entropy curses and evil spirits, either on an individual basis or strengthening thresholds, and possibly some potions that help protect/heal from mental assults. The bad stuff would be bad luck curses, voo doo dolls, binding evil spirits into animals (like crocodiles), and maybe even switching bodies.

From what I read, Voodoo is an entire religion while Hoodoo is more the magical practice and rituals.

What this player wants is for his character to think he is practicing voodoo, but because he is disconnected from his sponsor, he's just doing rituals.  Therefore ritual seems appropriate, but how broad a scope is he allowed to have?  Voodoo seems to encompass ectomancy, necromancy, and a bunch of other specializations.  Would he be getting into the realm of Thaumaturgy at that point?

I was speaking with him today and he was thinking of doing Pediomancy(doll magic) as a focused practitioner.  How does it work with channeling, though?  Is he still limited to the main main elements?

I suggested that he should do craft enchanted dolls for combat purposes and ritual for out of combat stuff.  To be honest, I don't have too much experience with the magic system, so I don't want to give him too much, but at the same time I don't want to limit his character concept or gimp the character.  It would be easier for me if he WANTED sponsored magic, but he wants the character to grow into that over time. He has to start somewhat more limited in his magical abilites.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 07:38:44 PM by Taran »

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 08:43:12 PM »
I hate to be a nit picker here, but if you want to get some good info about the religion and its practices, try using the search term "Vodoun" instead of "voodoo."

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 08:54:20 PM »
I hate to be a nit picker here, but if you want to get some good info about the religion and its practices, try using the search term "Vodoun" instead of "voodoo."

Will do. Thanks.

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 10:41:51 PM »
From what I understand, and I could be completely off base is this:

Vodoun is the more Haitian/African version of "Voodoo" with little anglican/abramic influence.

Voodoo is like Vodoun with a dash of christianity and french superstition.

Hoodoo is a less religious and more "practical magic" (check tvtropes) sort of thing. Its more in line with producing charms, potions, poppets etc.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 12:34:09 AM »
He should work "You remind me of the man..." in as an aspect.  Everyone is going to be saying it anyway, whether it's the version by Atomic Fireballs or the Labyrinth one featuring David Bowie's codpiece.

And the beginning of that was originally done by Cary Grant in The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039169/quotes for the quote.

Richard