Author Topic: Supernatural Grunts or Soldiers, where do I find them?  (Read 4996 times)

Offline Dresdenus Prime

• Conversationalist
  • More than meets the Wizards Sight
    • View Profile
Supernatural Grunts or Soldiers, where do I find them?
« on: September 24, 2012, 03:27:04 PM »
Hello peoples!

For my current book, I am in need of some grunt workers in the Supernatural field, although I guess soldiers would be a more appropriate title for them. In my book they are pretty much scattered throughout the land as the empire/government/whatever's militia and backbone, so I need a force that is large and plentiful. I don't want to use Vamps, or wolves. There are the Norse mythological Einherjar, which could work, but I wanted to know if anyone else knew of anything that was similar to them? Thanks!
DV Dresdenus Prime v1.2 YR6 FR(M)1 BK+ RP- JB TH++ WGH CL- SW+ BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++++ Murphy- Elaine-- Mab+++++)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Supernatural Grunts or Soldiers, where do I find them?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 05:31:50 PM »
Trolls?  Large and plentiful would indicate to me something that can reproduce quickly, and some brands of troll are like starfish:  cut em in half and you get two.  They are big, strong, durable as hell, and as intelligent (or not as you want them to be). 

Zombies would work equally as well. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 05:36:27 PM »
Goblins and orcs would work, and be fresh, too, since you don't often see them in UF. The good thing about Orcs in particular is that they can be as competent as you need them to be.
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 05:48:48 PM »
non-wolf were creatures could be fun, like were-boars or something. 

Homunculii (ie artificially created doll-people) would make a decent faceless armies of terror;  they could be something that is grown in crops more than born, with little personal identity (a supernatural Clone Army).

Something with a Hivemind, could be a large-scale mind control thing.

Giant insects.

Flying Monkeys?

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

o_O

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 06:25:24 PM »
Homunculii (ie artificially created doll-people) would make a decent faceless armies of terror;  they could be something that is grown in crops more than born, with little personal identity (a supernatural Clone Army).

This to me screams of Cadmus and the dragon's teeth.

Offline Galvatron

• Conversationalist
  • No matter where you go, there you are
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 07:28:25 PM »
what I like about Orcs/Trolls/Goblins is that there are a bajillion and two ways you can make each creature, you can always add your own spin to them, but still everyone at least has a general idea what you are talking about.

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side"

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 07:30:57 PM »
I would look at some of the things Greek Myth allows.  You could have quite a bit of fun with Minotaur's(Read werecattle) hiding in Cow pastures until needed, practicing their sword skills at night.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 08:25:42 PM »
This to me screams of Cadmus and the dragon's teeth.
I would look at some of the things Greek Myth allows.  You could have quite a bit of fun with Minotaur's(Read werecattle) hiding in Cow pastures until needed, practicing their sword skills at night.

that would fit nicely.  Greek origin, and an endless supply of muscle
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 09:45:01 PM »
Zombies would work equally as well. 

This was the first thing that came to my mind. It would all depend on what you are trying to do with your stories

If you have ever read the Bazil Broketail books by Christopher Rowley, the bad guys have some pretty horrific methods of generating grunts for their army.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline gatordave96

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 02:03:47 AM »
Were-rabbits?  You know, because they breed like . . . well . . . rabbits.  Think of what an army of Monty Python rabbits from The Holy Grail could do as shock troops.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." - D. Vader

Offline Galvatron

• Conversationalist
  • No matter where you go, there you are
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 02:36:36 AM »
Were-rabbits?  You know, because they breed like . . . well . . . rabbits.  Think of what an army of Monty Python rabbits from The Holy Grail could do as shock troops.

lol love this idea!
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side"

Offline The Corvidian

• Conversationalist
  • I like crows and ravens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 02:56:32 AM »
Take an inspiration from Dr. Who, and have animated mannequins.
Clarke's Third Law: Sufficently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Niven's Converse to Clarke's 3rd Law: Sufficently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 04:06:33 AM »
Were havelinas?  ;D ;D ;D

you know the more I think about that. . .
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

o_O

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 04:17:13 AM »
grunt workers in the Supernatural field, although I guess soldiers would be a more appropriate title for them. In my book they are pretty much scattered throughout the land as the empire/government/whatever's militia and backbone,
Two thoughts since my last post:

[size=78%]I am a bit bothered by  the strong link to [/size][size=78%]government [/size][size=78%]of these supernatural grunts; and I'm starting to think that the supernatural qualities of these grunts should perhaps be tied to ideas about the legitimacy of the government/empire.    [/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]Second thought: terracotta warriors.[/size]

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 12:20:26 PM »
Prime, what sort of "Government" will these guys be working for?  Who/What is in charge of it?  That will help whittle down the possibilities into something more specifically fitting
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/