Author Topic: Baltimore  (Read 12042 times)

Offline bentleyml

• Participant
    • View Profile
Baltimore
« on: June 20, 2006, 12:56:42 AM »
I'm kind of excited about the RPG using Baltimore as it's city of focus.  The city that brought us Homicide: Life on the Streets.  This will be wonderful.  If I do end up running in Baltimore, I will HAVE to use characters from Homicide as NPCs. :D

Man I am looking forward to this.

Offline johntfs

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Baltimore
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 02:37:34 PM »
Also consider that it's really close to Washington, D.C.  So you could have a lot of those federal plots as well.

Offline Valiar Marcus

• Conversationalist
  • Don't mess with my man Harry, dig?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 05:18:14 AM »
Also consider that it's really close to Washington, D.C.  So you could have a lot of those federal plots as well.
Not to mention it's just up the Chesapeake from Annapolis - great old town with lots of character.  Um, yeah, and that little academy thingie.
Chad Mitchell

"Doctors can always bury their mistakes. Architects can only advise their client to plant vines." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline lyss

• Participant
  • Lyss of This
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 08:09:26 PM »
YAY! This is the first I've heard of this (sorry I havent been following too well lately, life got in the way. :p ). I live in Baltimore, so this is actually really exciting. /nerd
Lyss

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 08:22:56 PM »
Stay away from Fell's Point.

Seriously.

We're putting bad shit there. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline jtaylor

• Posty McPostington
  • Bob: Offline but not forgotten.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 05:05:55 PM »
So since the official city for the RPG is Baltimore, does that mean the official band of the RPG is Baltimora? I just heard Tarzan Boy while flipping on Sirius and I would love an excuse to torture players with that, especially since I had to hear it. Seriously, I am going to have Whoa-oh-oh-oh-oh-o-ooo-aaa in my head for days now.
A noble spirit enbiggens the smallest man.

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
  • White Knight of Chicago
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 05:45:14 PM »
Every time I hear that song I think of the Listerine  commercial that used it. Now I'll have that tune in my head all day, too.  :P
Marv / Finarvyn
Greater Warden of Chicago
Dresden Files RPG Playtester
I support Colonial Gothic and Thousand Suns
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline rdonoghue

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 05:52:17 PM »
We would make it official, but it's place in history is now tied to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III.

-Rob D.

Offline the_ed_3

• Participant
  • Blame Canadia
    • View Profile
    • The Door Is Ajar
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 12:14:57 PM »
idk, maybe i'm missing something.  why is the city of focus baltimore instead of chicagoland?  i mean, why make such a change?  that's almost like hearing that the did away with dresden's staff and blasting rod in place of a hockey stick and drumstick.

one of the focal points behind the series is that chicago is the  unnoficial hub of the world, if not the united states.  hell, o'hare still holds the title of busiest airport in the world.  combine the two and you have the biggest reasoning behind the massive amounts of bad ju-ju behind the dresden files.

maybe it's because new england is much older and therefor more spiritually "charged" than chicago, idk.

could someone help me find the light on this one?
The Ed.
"Chuck Norris doesn't read books. He stares them down until he gets the information he wants."

Offline Jaroslav

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 01:48:42 PM »
It is Baltimore instead of Chicago, because chicago has already been fleshed out. It would be easy to make a game in chicago just using the books already out there. Having Baltimore as the main city for the game allowes them to make up a new envirment and try new ideas.

By the way just because it is the signature city that does not mean Baltimore is the center of all magic. It just means  most of the area information in the book will be about Baltimore.
Irony is lost on the tired; if your not laughing, go take a nap.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 07:17:16 PM »
More accurately, it is Baltimore in addition to Chicago.

We'll talk about Chicago, but in that case, it's serving the function of a book report: this is what Chicago in the Harryverse is like.

But Baltimore is our example of how to take a city you know (or sorta-know) and Dresdenify it.  So our "sample campaign" is Baltimorean, but our "NPCs from the books" writeups are Chicagoan, etc.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
  • White Knight of Chicago
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2006, 12:33:55 PM »
But Baltimore is our example of how to take a city you know (or sorta-know) and Dresdenify it.  So our "sample campaign" is Baltimorean, but our "NPCs from the books" writeups are Chicagoan, etc.
Yes, and this makes sense from a RPG development standpoint because...

1. We don't want the RPG to conflict horribly with anything that Jim may write in the future. We have to just hope that he doesn't read the RPG and then decide to have Harry relocate to Baltimore 'cuz it's so cool!

2. The assumption is that players will make up their own Harry-like characters, and probably will not be playing Harry, so it doesn't need to be set there anyway.

3. If the campaign takes place down the street from Harry (or anywhere near Chicago) there will always be the feeling that Harry might appear and save the day as needed. This stinks of railroading and sucks the life out of the drama of the story.

So ... by developing Baltimore we produce a RPG that has a built-in setting, plus one can use the novels as a sourcebook for another setting. Kind of like "buy one, get one free...."
Marv / Finarvyn
Greater Warden of Chicago
Dresden Files RPG Playtester
I support Colonial Gothic and Thousand Suns
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline Darrington

• Conversationalist
  • "The magic nachos will save me."
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 10:42:35 PM »
Oh there's no end to how happy I am to hear that the game's not being set in Chicago!  I already think it a bit cheap to be playing games in Chicago that don't jive with the books and can end up with Harry showing up in the end to save the day or even consult.  That's just... too easy.  I don't know.  Can't really explain why that bothers me so much.  But this is brilliant that someone else is being featured.  And glad it's not New York, 'cause then there'd be official word on somewhere I've already played for over a year and I'm sure none of it would fit.  I would be sad.

AD
"You can't hate a plant for being green." -In reference to a faerie screwing you over in deals.
"YES YOU CAN!!" -In reference to Wizard Darrington getting screwed over a dozen times too many.

A sword fight with a Red after both of us getting hit by a concussion grenade is not a good plan.

Offline thunderlips74

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 11:03:22 PM »

Based on the "Designing Dresden" article about this, this might very well be the feature I am most looking forward to.

I think my vision for a campaign is to do a road game. The PCs are going to walk the Earth. Travel from place to place, have adventures. Be magical bums, as it were.

This goes double if anyone wants to be a Knight. Michael Carpenter is always on the road. Doesn't make much sense to keep them bound to one city.