Author Topic: Spending two Fate points to Invoke two Aspects?  (Read 2119 times)

Offline Mr. Ghostbuster

• Conversationalist
  • Jimbassador to the United States
    • View Profile
Spending two Fate points to Invoke two Aspects?
« on: September 17, 2012, 05:04:47 PM »
I was discussing this with the GM of the game I help run. I don't the rules don't specifically forbid invoking two aspects at once for two fate points. This does seem to be a bit unfair at at the same time, if a player wants to spend two fate points on essentially one action and understands the implications, I fee like letting him make that choice.

Do any of you allow this in your games?

DV Warden of Iowa City 1.0 YR4 FR(M)1 BK+++ RP JB++ TH+ WG++ CL+ SW BC+ MC---- FF+ SH++[Murphy+++ Lara+ Gard+ Molly-]

Hi. I'm the future director of The Dresden Files movie. Wink.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
Re: Spending two Fate points to Invoke two Aspects?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 05:08:29 PM »
The rules are clear that you can invoke as many aspects as apply if you've got the fate points for it. I'm pretty sure it even has examples where someone invokes two or three of their aspects on one roll.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 05:09:47 PM »
I think it actually is explicitly allowed, though I don't recall on what page. You can spend any number of fate points on a single roll, but each aspect may only be tagged or invoked a single time per roll. This can be very useful to a player (or GM!) who desperately needs to succeed on a particular challenge.

Offline Chrono

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 06:02:08 PM »
It also justifies "Giving It Your All".

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 07:43:18 PM »
Hell, one of my characters made something of a hobby out of brainstorming situations where he might be able to invoke all seven of his character's aspects on a single attack.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 12:33:46 AM »
Here's yer quote:
Quote from: YS99
It is possible to use more than one aspect on a single roll, but you can’t use the same aspect more than once on the same roll or action (even if you’ve re-rolled the dice, that’s still the same roll or action).

Offline Chrono

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 01:02:43 AM »
Hell, one of my characters made something of a hobby out of brainstorming situations where he might be able to invoke all seven of his character's aspects on a single attack.
If one of my players could figure that out AND had enough fate points to do it, I'd let them imprison Mab.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 01:14:11 AM »
Well, for a little while, anyway.  End of the scene, at most, I'd say, unless there was more to back it than (an impressive) 7 invokes.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Lamech

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 11:17:30 PM »
Thinking too small. He should also be able to invoke the scene aspect, the location aspect and all three city aspects. You should also be able to invoke some team work type aspects, and navel gazing aspects you've created. If you aren't punching out the lords of outer night with a small girl, you clearly haven't invoked enough aspects.

Offline GryMor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 11:40:22 PM »
Thinking too small. He should also be able to invoke the scene aspect, the location aspect and all three city aspects. You should also be able to invoke some team work type aspects, and navel gazing aspects you've created. If you aren't punching out the lords of outer night with a small girl, you clearly haven't invoked enough aspects.

Aspects are easy, really, if you don't have 5+ tags that you can call on, you aren't trying hard enough!

Offline Orladdin

• Conversationalist
  • The Undauntable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 01:46:15 PM »

I will take this moment to point out to the OP that, in case (s)he is a GM, don't balance your encounters with this in mind!
Partially because your players will likely get stomped, hard.
But primarily because tagging a boatload of aspects requires (A) a boatload of FPs, and (B) cleverness/roleplaying that should be rewarded with overwealming success.
There is never a blanket answer to an ethical question.  This includes the Laws of Magic.

Perpetrator of The Cold Days Release FAQ

"I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones."
-- The Doctor, Timewyrm: Genesys