Author Topic: What's on the way out? What's new and hot?  (Read 4260 times)

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: What's on the way out? What's new and hot?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 05:15:17 AM »
^^^ Agree.

That said, if you want to get in front of the trend then go to your news sources and market reports. Find the tech reports. Find the recent sociology findings. Find what is happening and trending in the world. That is where the trends will originate, not from the sales numbers at Amazon. If you keep following those numbers, you'll always be too far behind the trend by the time your work is ready.

Hunger Games is a wonderful book. In an interview, she said that she wrote it because she detested popular reality television. Also, this military brat may have been tuned into drone warfare where war, even though effective, was becoming a video game gone live. The reality of death was becoming obscure, no matter how effective it is. She may have been concerned that video games were deadening our youth to the realities of death.

Her writing took on a creative flare that tuned into the 99% vs the 1% before it was an idea in most people's, researcher's and public's mindset. This past week, a serious economic report was published that began, "May the odds be ever in your favor."  Science twisted back on Art or Art that twisted back on Science?

Keep your butterfly net open at all times rather than worrying about trends. That's a quote from Connie Willis.

Your trend will be all around you. I propose that the genre may be trivial or unimportant--as long as the writing is solid and addresses issues that readers are facing today.

Another possible avenue is "what isn't everyone writing about, or getting ready to write about?"  Don't worry about predicting a new trend, start your own.  It might fly, you might come off as being startlingly original, a breath of fresh air, etc... but you'll also risk being overlooked by those looking for what's The Now Thing.  "Eh, it's not about *Insert Current Trend Here*?  I was really hoping to find more books where someone with a magic power parts shags the Elder Gods into submission, like that other series that's so popular..."

History is rich with plots, complications, conflicts and such.  I'm not talking about re-writing the American Revolution, Viet Nam, or Thermopylae.  Oh, look, Luna/Belters/Mars is rebelling over taxation.  Been done.  Sometimes quite well, other times not so much.

Rewriting old wars and conflicts has been done to death. 

But we can mine for nuggets for components to mix with bits of other history we've turned inside out.  There's a lot of history out there, neglected and crying under the stairs while popular culture, literature, and movies focus on Normandy, the Alamo, or the storming of the Bastille.  Give that undervalued, unappreciated history some love, and it'll whisper secrets to you.

Athens started growing olives on a larger scale, which brought them into the Big Damn Merchant City stage, made them suddenly big players in the region.  And this brought them a whole new set of complications even as it placed them on the road to greatness.  Rome and Carthage, The Boer Wars... All examples of "underutlized" events we can borrow an element from here and there.

We can use the events when we're short on socio-political conflicts we need for a backdrop, or even just for flavoring our local history.  What if the Voortrekers had become roaming nomads instead of settling the Transvaal?  What if the Zulus had teamed with them against the British?  What if Carthage held Rome in a stalemate, or if the two states had become allies, creating the base of a regional bloc which decided to conquer India?  Or if India had joined them and they'd gone after China?  Take a piece of history, tickle it until some possibilities leak out, freeze them, shatter them, then pick out some pieces to use for your worldbuilding or basic story elements.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 05:22:52 AM by Paynesgrey »

Offline Crazed

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 03:17:55 PM »
I think you have to be aware of the new trends, but as others have said don't rework your entire concept to reflect some other hot commodity.  Keep your core concept for your magnus opus and if you want to dabble try a short story and see if the new thing flows.  I am a strong advocate of exploring different genres, but use the experience to find your strengths not try to change everything you write to fit a particular niche you dislike.
I reject your reality and assert my own!

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 03:21:10 PM »
I think you have to be aware of the new trends, but as others have said don't rework your entire concept to reflect some other hot commodity.  Keep your core concept for your magnus opus and if you want to dabble try a short story and see if the new thing flows.  I am a strong advocate of exploring different genres, but use the experience to find your strengths not try to change everything you write to fit a particular niche you dislike.

Indeed, imhop the best stories are the ones the writer actually enjoys telling for their own sake. 

Offline Dom

• Conversationalist
  • "I can't believe it's not Butters!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 06:32:08 PM »
The thing that's always been interesting to me is the interplay among consumers and creators.  The ones who sustain a trend, and the ones who kick a trend off.

Consumers will make something new a hit.  They see it, they like it, they tell twenty friends, be it books, fashion, home decorating--whatever.  Everyone buys it.  It takes off like wildfire.  And once that thing becomes a hit, they'll look for more, and buy up anything that gives them a little more of that fix while they wait for the original person to kicked off a trend to make more, which is how fads get going and business people will try to jump on that gravy train.

However, for that "consumption" to happen AT ALL, a creator somewhere has to come up with something first.  Something awesome has to be created, without knowing if it'll be awesome or not.  And you don't know what trick that new book/series/author will have, because, really, it's almost always something that's driven by the author having a keen talent, a keen nose for story potential, and a bit of luck.  It's not predictable, per se.  It's a risk.

If you chase fads as an author, you'll always be playing "me too!", and you'll be competing with all those other people doing "me too" too.  Identifying a big thing once it's become big is EASY.  And you'll also be AT LEAST a year behind the trend, from when you notice a fad and when you write your addition to the fad.  And maybe that's ok--there are authors out there who are making ok livings playing "me too".  You could even argue that the Dresden Files is a "me too!" following Anita Blake, albeit one of the earliest ones.  But I think it's unwise to begin your plan with intending to play "me too" because you don't want to take that risk of starting your own fad or trend because there's a good chance you WON'T start a fad or trend.  Yet if you DON'T take a risk, you'll totally bring what's maybe a 2% chance of hitting it big with something "original" to 0%.  And who wants to play second fiddle forever?

I think there's a lot of value in just writing what you want to write, and damn the fads.  Now, if what you want to write IS currently a fad...write your little heart out and make sure it reflects that your heart is in it, and ignore the part of you that may say "it's close but not exactly like XYZ, why not tweak it to be XYZ?"  Because chances are, your little weirdnesses and oddities are what would make it stand out among the other "me, toos!" happening.

My two cents, as an unpublished wannabe author who has been studying the market like WHOA for forever.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 06:34:59 PM by Dom »
- has put $0.10 in the pun tip jar as of today.