Author Topic: The YLC (Why Little Chicago) thread  (Read 47659 times)

Offline Agravaine

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: The YLC (Why Little Chicago) thread
« Reply #165 on: December 04, 2012, 05:43:05 AM »
Basically, it could be any of the Fae with a "benevolent" intent in entering his house.  Lea, Mab, Odin each could have the knowledge and the benevolent intent to fix LC.  All and all, I think Mab is the most likely person.

Offline Quaras

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 04, 2012, 01:11:12 PM »
Pure rambling theory based on the thread:

Book 17:  Rabbit Hole

Stranded and imprisoned in time by the betrayal of his closest allies, Harry Dresden, has been searching for an escape route for over a year.  His only hope for salvation rests with the most unlikely of solutions.  Now he is trapped at 1/22nd of his natural size and stranded back in time inside of Little Chicago -- the experiment he had cast off and though abandoned years ago.  But he is not alone -- something stalks the streets of Little Chicago -- and Harry will have to delve deeper into its mysteries before escaping the Rabbit Hole.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 04, 2012, 01:43:03 PM »
No real theory on the why, but as far as I see it, LC could easily be undamaged. It was in the subbasement, which might be a bit sturdier and the whole lab might have survived. But that isn't the biggest clue to it. The biggest clue is, that Marcone built a friggin' castle on top of it. If Gard has figured out how to use LC, or if he has found other gifted individuals, he might use it to track down the Fomor's movements, or any other supernatural actions in Chicago. Or whatever the hell he can figure out to do with it. He is pretty intelligent in that regard, I think.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline wildfire393

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 04, 2012, 02:20:04 PM »

Stranded and imprisoned in time by the betrayal of his closest allies, Harry Dresden, has been searching for an escape route for over a year.  His only hope for salvation rests with the most unlikely of solutions.  Now he is trapped at 1/22nd of his natural size and stranded back in time inside of Little Chicago -- the experiment he had cast off and though abandoned years ago.  But he is not alone -- something stalks the streets of Little Chicago -- and Harry will have to delve deeper into its mysteries before escaping the Rabbit Hole.

Book titles have to have matching letter counts in the two words. This would have to be Mouse Holes or something.

Offline Aakaakaak

• Posty McPostington
  • Kittens taste great and stay crunchy in milk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 04, 2012, 03:05:31 PM »
My thoughts on LC....

Have you ever poured your heart and soul into something for an extended period of time and when you finally got to the endgame result you realized it wasn't as practical as you'd hoped or not what you really wanted? IMO LC was Harry's impractical obsession. He learned a bunch of stuff and now he's past it.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke
"Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology." - Niven
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." - Neurovore
"Sufficiently advanced technology my ass" - Dresden

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 04, 2012, 03:09:15 PM »

Like number of letters aside, this idea is pretty dang cool.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Quaras

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 04, 2012, 03:32:19 PM »
Sorry for breaking the naming convention.  Rabbits Warrens just didn't have the same ring to it.  I do think that there is a chance that Harry has to get transported back in time into LC.  I tried to emulate the writing style of the Penguin blurb summarizers...

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 04, 2012, 03:50:28 PM »
Sorry for breaking the naming convention.  Rabbits Warrens just didn't have the same ring to it.  I do think that there is a chance that Harry has to get transported back in time into LC.  I tried to emulate the writing style of the Penguin blurb summarizers...

Maybe "Mouse Traps" or "Maze Rats"?
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 04, 2012, 04:11:17 PM »

I agree, Rabbit Hole worked better as a name in every sense other than the artificial constraint of the number of letters.  I couldn't do better myself.

Lets focus on the awesomness of the idea rather than the silly # of letters :)  Harry falls down a fae rabbit hole and finds himself looking up at a sky that looks suspiciously like the roof of the sub-basement of his old appartment...

Even if Jim never writes it I'd love to see a fanfic based on this premise.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline lovejoy69

• Posty McPostington
  • Ignore it, run away, bonk the offender on the head
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 05, 2012, 06:56:50 PM »
Title-wise, hare matches the number of letters but Jim is far too savvy to be persuaded into naming it Hare Hole. That would be waaaaayyyy too easy to make rude remarks about and besides, "rabbit hole" immediately taps into Lewis Carroll whimsy whereas hare does not.
         Although actually, the character is the March Hare. He's not a rabbit.

And yes, Serack is right, we can enjoy teasing the wording of a possible title, but that ought not to distract us from Quaras' interesting concept itself. 
"...when you know something the rest of us don't."
"It's like heroin for wizards," I confirmed.
   ===          ===
"And if the child was no warlock, she would have lowered the shield by now."
"No! I'm not dropping the shield until Harry says it's okay." She paused. "Uh, besides. I'm not sure how."

Offline Quaras

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 05, 2012, 11:59:36 PM »
You could bring in every small creature that Harry has ever annoyed/ignored.  There are quite a few out there that would be thrilled to have a teeny Harry to chase after.  Serack -- very glad you like the idea.  I am not sure it fits into the great sequence that is being written, but you never know!

15:  Heist
16:  Time Travel
17:  Lewis Carroll riff
18:  Asgard/Interplanetary Travel

Ok now, I am getting a little off topic, but still the fact that book #15 is a heist really opens up the possibilities.  And the great thing is Harry fixes LC but in a completely unexpected (and urgent) way.  The ticking time bomb of old Harry getting ready to cast the spell while little Harry tries to scale small buildings and fix the city is pretty fun as a premise.

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 10, 2012, 03:52:10 PM »
No real theory on the why, but as far as I see it, LC could easily be undamaged. It was in the subbasement, which might be a bit sturdier and the whole lab might have survived. But that isn't the biggest clue to it. The biggest clue is, that Marcone built a friggin' castle on top of it. If Gard has figured out how to use LC, or if he has found other gifted individuals, he might use it to track down the Fomor's movements, or any other supernatural actions in Chicago. Or whatever the hell he can figure out to do with it. He is pretty intelligent in that regard, I think.

Eh...there's a WoJ somewhere stating that LC is probably toast, since Changes is all about taking all of Harry's stuff away from him. His lab is pretty well gone, and, well, if you're building a castle on a piece of land, you're probably having to lay a new foundation, which would include a sub-basement. That's all speculation mind you, but, unless Jim decides to resurrect it, and, like you say, there's some wiggle room there if he wants it, all signs indicate it's gone.

taishojojo

« Reply #177 on: December 10, 2012, 09:09:42 PM »
You know... I dislike time travel in fiction because its rarely done interestingly enough. Star Trek abused and misused that well way too often.
If Harry had to go back and use LC only to be trapped and that was the ticking clock (fix it before blowing both his selves up....) That could be done right.

@knnn
Those are copyrighted. Mouse Traps was short story whose author escapes me. The Maze Rats were a faction in AEG's Doomtown game.

Offline svb1972

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 10, 2012, 09:33:31 PM »
I firmly believe that the person who fixed Little Chicago is Harry.
So, this is one of my more outrageous theories.

Harry is Merlin.
Merlin is Harry.

Harry is going to need to greatly improve his time travel skills in order to pull of creating DemonReach.
One of his first Steps into time travel is going to be going back to repair LC in order to use it to find something so much more important than what's going on with Past Harry.  We have been told time and time again that Harry is /spectacularly good/ at Thaumaturgy.  He's better at Thaumaturgy than Molly is at Illussions.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 09:40:14 PM by svb1972 »

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 10, 2012, 09:52:34 PM »
@knnn
Those are copyrighted. Mouse Traps was short story whose author escapes me. The Maze Rats were a faction in AEG's Doomtown game.

How about Pizza Court and Back Lash?
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html