Author Topic: The YLC (Why Little Chicago) thread  (Read 48150 times)

Offline Quaras

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: The YLC (Why Little Chicago) thread
« Reply #180 on: December 10, 2012, 11:32:23 PM »
Then there is always the Harry = Rashid theory.  Scars are in the right spot.

Offline pharthead

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 15, 2012, 03:41:50 AM »
I thought Rashid had one deep scar that took out his eye while Harry has 3 shallower ones.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 15, 2012, 04:01:47 AM »
Those are copyrighted. Mouse Traps was short story whose author escapes me. The Maze Rats were a faction in AEG's Doomtown game.

More than one novel can have the same title.  It gets confusing at times, but I have seen different stories (as in different authors, plots, themes, publishers) with the same title.

One that comes to mind is "The Bodyguard"

The Bodyguard is a book by Christy Tillery French, Lawrence Kasdan, Robert Tine, Robin Covington, Suzanne Brockmann, and Cherry Adair - or rather each of the above listed authors wrote a different book that is titled "The Bodyguard".

For that matter, do you know who Harry Potter is? Of course you do - he's a minor character in Spell of Catastrophe by Mayer Alan Brenner, a book published in 1987.

And no, Brenner doesn't get royalties from Rowling because he used the name first.  His Harry Potter is a small time crook (forger if I remember it right) and potter in a high fantasy / sci-fi book, not a boy wizard who goes to wizarding school.

Richard

wizard nelson

« Reply #183 on: December 16, 2012, 02:40:52 PM »
haven't seen anything on this so, little chicago had atl 300× the energy of a kinetic ring, why didn't it blow sky high in the fire? the spells around the lab would have been eaten away first and i'm pretty sure even on fire that much energy wouldn't just dissapate, its pure energy. so either the lab survived or someone snatched it (lea).  i say it survived an i can think of why too. harry made it during the theoretical time travel era. using its connection to how chicago was BACK THEN harry will use it as a springboard/focus to leap backwards to that time frame al la' thaumaturgy.
god i'm awesome when i'm tired  8)

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 16, 2012, 03:16:29 PM »
haven't seen anything on this so, little chicago had atl 300× the energy of a kinetic ring, why didn't it blow sky high in the fire? the spells around the lab would have been eaten away first and i'm pretty sure even on fire that much energy wouldn't just dissapate, its pure energy. so either the lab survived or someone snatched it (lea).  i say it survived an i can think of why too. harry made it during the theoretical time travel era. using its connection to how chicago was BACK THEN harry will use it as a springboard/focus to leap backwards to that time frame al la' thaumaturgy.

For all we know, it did, Harry didn't exactly stick around to watch the building burn.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 16, 2012, 03:40:38 PM »

fire is a puryifing force, according to Jim. its destoryed and disapated the magical construction.
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
New thoughts on the YLC (Why Little Chicago) question [series spoilers]
« Reply #186 on: September 11, 2013, 04:18:28 PM »
The origional YLC thread

In brief, for the amount of buildup that was put into YLC, as a potential "Chekov's gun" (tvtrops warning) it sure didn't have much of a proportionate bang.

So my new thought was born from thinking about this recent comment from Tami Seven

4. Harry walking around as just a Soul in GS was like a person walking around naked -- so is the soul more important that the physical body? You can exist as a soul, you don't need a physical body (in theory)?

Which made me wonder if Harry would, in the future find it advantageous to put his GS experiences to work by wandering around Chicago disembodied like he did in GS.  And then I remembered.  Harry's already done that!  He tracked Malvora in White Night in disembodied form via Little Chicago.

Quote from: WN Ch. 14
"My own flesh dissolved into flickering silver light, and I felt myself rush after the energy of the seeking spell, streaking through the ghostly images of Chicago's nightlife in the model all around me, one more insubstantial shade among thousands. 

So what could this mean for the YLC question? Possible answers would run like...
  • Harry's experiences with LC helped prep his soul for his GS experience
  • Harry's GS experiences helped him gain a new paradigm that would allow him to utilize a new LC like spell/foci more effectively
  • I still haven't completely* ruled out the idea that whoever fixed LC saved it before the burndown in Changes (see #2)
  • Maybe we'll come up with more

*not that I think it's likely or anything.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 12:23:47 AM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline rekshek

• Posty McPostington
  • Apathy is the story of my life.
    • View Profile
Re: New thoughts on the YLC (Why Little Chicago) question [series spoilers]
« Reply #187 on: September 11, 2013, 04:27:15 PM »
  • I still haven't completely* ruled out the idea that whoever fixed LC saved it before the burndown in Changes (see #2)

Hey Lea has done crazier things in her time, and she had the ability/entrance too.

Oh god, why am I imagining a terrible ritual involving the stone slab, and little chicago as a catalyst/foci now?

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 11, 2013, 04:58:43 PM »
The origional YLC thread

In brief, for the amount of buildup that was put into YLC, as a potential "Chekov's gun" (tvtrops warning) it sure didn't have much of a proportionate bang.

So my new thought was born from thinking about this recent comment from Tami Seven

Which made me wonder if Harry would, in the future find it advantageous to put his GS experiences to work by wandering around Chicago disembodied like he did in GS.  And then I remembered.  Harry's already done that!  He tracked Malvora in White Night in disembodied form via Little Chicago.

So what could this mean for the YLC question? Possible answers would run like...
  • Harry's experiences with LC helped prep his soul for his GS experience
  • Harry's GS experiences helped him gain a new paradigm that would allow him to utilize a new LC like spell/foci more effectively
  • Maybe we'll come up with more

I think that was what Harry did, kind of, separated his Soul from his body for a walk around Little Chicago. Same for what happened in Changed with Mab and the Stone Table, possibly even as early back as GP when Harry fought the Nightmare for the final time.
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 11, 2013, 05:03:19 PM »
I don't buy that every type of an out of body experience is separating soul from body.  Otherwise we'd have to include things like the talking stones that he and Eb have.

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 11, 2013, 05:34:31 PM »
I don't buy that every type of an out of body experience is separating soul from body.  Otherwise we'd have to include things like the talking stones that he and Eb have.

I'd describe that as psychic, like how Harry talked to Elaine in WK. The stones probably just boost the signal and provide a measure of privacy. 

Since the Nightmare was able to steal some of Harry's powers, I'd say that was more in line with the soul instead of just his 'ghost'. The repository of power should be in the soul or the body, not that residual essence that makes up a 'ghost' like we saw in GS.
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 11, 2013, 06:31:20 PM »
Oh god, why am I imagining a terrible ritual involving the stone slab, and little chicago as a catalyst/foci now?

I've been saying for a while, all of Chicago being sucked into the NN during or near the BAT might well be what the Unseelie Incursion of 1994 is set-up for; your idea here might well be a mechanism for that.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 11, 2013, 06:41:14 PM »

Since the Nightmare was able to steal some of Harry's powers, I'd say that was more in line with the soul instead of just his 'ghost'. The repository of power should be in the soul or the body, not that residual essence that makes up a 'ghost' like we saw in GS.
But Harry was able to do the same thing to the ghost, and we're as sure as we can be that that was just a regular old ghost, nothing souly about it.

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 11, 2013, 06:56:04 PM »
But Harry was able to do the same thing to the ghost, and we're as sure as we can be that that was just a regular old ghost, nothing souly about it.

Are we really so sure about that? I mean, even Harry admitted that the Nightmare was not acting like any Ghost he'd ever heard of. Its possible at the time that, in Harry's ignorance, he may have not known the difference between being a ghost and being a disembodied soul.
War Cry -

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 11, 2013, 08:11:06 PM »
I just chalk that up as having been created with purpose to exact the revenge, rather than just acting on instinct.