Author Topic: Cold Days Predict-a-thon. [All the latest Spoilers permitted]  (Read 40946 times)

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Cold Days Predict-a-thon. [All the latest Spoilers permitted]
« on: September 13, 2012, 05:59:35 PM »
So here's the plan.

I am going to pose a bunch of questions concerning predicitions for the next book.  Anyone who wants can submit their answers.  In two weeks I'll lock the thread so nobody can change their posts.  Then, after Cold Days comes out, I will grade each of the submissions and the winner(s) gets bragging rights.

Notes:

a) There are 9 questions, each graded based on correctness and specificness.  Feel free to be as crazy as you like; an answer of "Harry blows up a building" probably not be worth as much as "Harry blows up the Barad-dûr with Soulfire" if it turns out that he blew up Orthanc with Hellfire instead. 

b) Grading will be done at my sole discretion, though I may appoint fellow graders -- especially if the number of submissions is large.  I will try to be fair, but I reserve the right to give extra credit to especially witty or creative answers.  Frankly, I haven't quite decided what the grading scheme should be, but I expect to have multiple awards such as "best single prediction", or "most amusing mis-prediction".

c) Please don't submit more than one set of answers.  Just edit your first submission if you want to change things.

d) The Blurb on the back of the book, the picture on the cover, and the first two chapters are available to the public already. There will probably be spoilers about those issues in this thread, so be warned (and don't be afraid to use them in your prediction).

e) While I don't expect them to contribute, if the Betas (or Jim) want to give some answers, they are totally welcome...   ;D

------------------

The Questions:

1 ) Harry usually has a few supporting characters in each book.  Who do you think will be the main sidekick in Cold Days and in what way will they help?  Who else will have a significant contribution to the plot?

2 ) At the end of Ghost Story, Harry has said goodbye to all his friends in Chicago. 

a. Who will be the first friend to find out Harry isn't dead? 
b. What shenanigans/snark will Harry use when he "re-appears"?
c. Who will have the coolest reaction?
d. Who will have the most touching reaction?

- In each case, remember to specify for extra credit.

3 ) In nearly every book, Harry usually comes up with a new powerup/tool/way of making things go boom.  Given that he just became the new WK, what new abilities will he rely on and which new ability will be the most useful to him during the story (and how)?

4 ) Harry generally has a "Big Bad" to worry about.  In fact, according to the blurb, Harry is going after someone very specific.  Who will that enemy be, and how will Harry take him/her/it down?

5 ) Harry usually faces some sort of "Choice" in every book.  A point where the easy way out will cost his soul/humanity in some way. According to the blurb, this book will be no different.  What will be the most crucial "choice" Harry makes?

6 ) As the new Winter Knight, Harry is pretty much garunteed to encounter his Summer counterpart -- Fix.  What will their interactions be?  Will Fix survive?

7 ) Jim has mentioned that it's about time now to start revealing some of the motivations/dealings of the shadowy figures working behind the scenes (i.e. what Harry calls the "Black Council").  What Black Council secrets/actions will be revealed in this book?

8 ) There are many WAG ("Wild A$$ Guess") theories on the boards.  Write up to three WAG theories you believe are correct that will be confirmed (or at least have evidence in favor of) in Cold Days.

9 ) Extra credit:  Write down any prediction about that you think might improve your final score.  Only issues aluded to within Cold Days will be counted. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 07:05:45 PM by knnn »
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Cold Days Predict-a-thon. [All the latest Spoilers permitted]
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 06:10:04 PM »
My Answers:

1 )In term of utility, Toot-Toot will be Harry's most important sidekick.  Harry will essentially have his own private army.  In terms of having someone to bounce ideas off of, and introduction to the courts, my guess is that Lea will be more help - along the lines of their interactions in GS.

2 )

a. Ebenezer will be the first person to find out Harry is alive.
b. Harry will quote from Gandalf the White
c. The will be a meeting of the White Council where the Merlin calls upon everyone to show respect to the new Winter Knight -- and in walks Harry.  The Merlin proceeds to have a heart attack.
d. Molly naturally will have the most heartfelt reaction --  that ship is still in port.  Second place goes to Thomas.  There won't be more than a fist-bump, but we will feel the raw emotion onscreen.

3 )
The Winchester on the cover is probably going to be Harry's major prop - magic bullet FTW.  In addition, he'll have ice upgrades to his armor etc.

4 )
Harry will have to go after an Egyptian or Hindu mythology figure - their "sun power" will be affecting Mab directly, and Mab has been trying to get an upper hand.  Fix will be the summer Emissary, but it will be weird, because Summer would also benefit from the destruction of a deity that is essentially "muscling in" on Titania's territory.

5 )
A key benefit of Mab having Harry as Knight is his access to Soulfire.  As such, using Soulfire will be a key to killing the Big Bad.  Harry will have that problem of X-X=0, using up all his soul.   

6 ) Fix and Harry will go toe to toe three times. 

a.  In Harry's coming out party, Fix will be there.  They will have a non-lethal "ones-upmanship-contest" which Fix will win easily.
b.  Fix will be Summer's Emissary in whatever task Harry gets.  They will have a mid-lethal, mid-plot encounter with Fix winning using a Knight trick.
c.  There will be an encounter in the finale where Harry beat Fix.

7 )

- We will find out part of why Arctis Tor was attacked (but there will still be missing pieces). 
- We will see a piece (i.e. evidence for) of Titania's game in the Mab/BC conflict, namely that Titania is actually working with Mab all along.
- The Fomor are not actually part of the BC, merely pawns in their game.
- There will be more clues about how Outsiders work, but nothing too major in this book.

8 )
- Molly is an Outsiderbane (because her parents are "a good person" and "a wizard" ==  cleric + magic-user).
- Titania fixed Little Chicago, and because of this she will have some hold over Harry.
- In Smf, Mab used the Archive as bait so that the Denarians will break the rules trying to capture her.  This allowed Uriel to give Harry (her future Knight) Soulfire.  Having Soulfire will be a key in Cold Days.

9 )
- Harry's access to Soulfire will be a key to the book.
- First onscreen appearance of Titania.
- There will be a chess match onscreen in the book.
- At least 4 people will be called "bitch".
- Santa will be mentioned and seen (briefly) onscreen.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 08:07:49 PM by knnn »
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 06:26:12 PM »
The Questions:

1 ) Harry usually has a few supporting characters in each book.  Who do you think will be the main sidekick in Cold Days and in what way will they help?  Who else will have a significant contribution to the plot?
I'm going to be boring and say Cat Sith. He'll help very grudgingly, and maybe gain a modicum of respect for Harry by the end. He will, effectively, be Mister's Fae analogue.

2 ) At the end of Ghost Story, Harry has said goodbye to all his friends in Chicago. 

Of the Chicago Crew? I'm going to say Molly--she has the most direct connection to him now, via Lea. Lea will say something along the lines of, "I'm no longer your teacher" as part of the reveal.

Either the "rumors of my death were greatly exaggerated" one, quoting Gandalf ("Now I'm Harry the White"), or something simple like, "I'm baaaaaaaa~aaaack"

Murphy, who will assume it's a shapeshifter and deck him.

Thomas, who will be overjoyed, hug him, and then deck him.

3 ) In nearly every book, Harry usually comes up with a new powerup/tool/way of making things go boom.  Given that he just became the new WK, what new abilities will he rely on and which new ability will be the most useful to him during the story (and how)?
I'm going to go with the rifle on the cover. Either it'll have some intrinsic magic power, Harry will give it some, or it has some kind of historic and occult significance (Butcher has mentioned there's a reason why old west sheriff's stars resemble Harry's pentacle).

4 ) Harry generally has a "Big Bad" to worry about.  In fact, according to the blurb, Harry is going after someone very specific.  Who will that enemy be, and how will Harry take him/her/it down?
Going for the long shot and saying it's Mab herself.

5 ) Harry usually faces some sort of "Choice" in every book.  A point where the easy way out will cost his soul/humanity in some way. According to the blurb, this book will be no different.  What will be the most crucial "choice" Harry makes?
He'll have to choose between his Winter Knight responsibilities and saving one of his friends, and Harry being Harry, he'll choose his friends.

6 ) As the new Winter Knight, Harry is pretty much garunteed to encounter his Summer counterpart -- Fix.  What will their interactions be?  Will Fix survive?
First meeting will be very tense, but I predict no actual (or at least, prolonged) fight--because Harry is going to Fix for help.

7 ) Jim has mentioned that it's about time now to start revealing some of the motivations/dealings of the shadowy figures working behind the scenes (i.e. what Harry calls the "Black Council").  What Black Council secrets/actions will be revealed in this book?
Whatever happened to Aurora and Titania will be touched on, since this is a Faerie book. I'll say also the attack on Arctis Tor and its goals.

8 ) There are many WAG theories on the boards.  Write up to three WAG theories you believe are correct that will be confirmed (or at least have evidence in favor of) in Cold Days.
I don't follow most of them and don't remotely believe any of the ones that come to mind, so no answer.

9 ) Extra credit:  Write down any prediction about that you think might improve your final score.  Only issues aluded to within Cold Days will be counted.
We will find out that Margaret La Fey was a Knight of one of the Courts.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Paladino

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 06:49:45 PM »
1) Toot-toot will probally be one of the most present sidekick for Harry on the book, in the terms of helping hima round Faery and etc, together with Lea and Sith who should also give Harry some tips on how to act on Winter. But I think that for the blow everything moment, Harry will recruit some of his old friends. I'd say Thomas & Molly and Bob probally.

2)

a. Butters. He might not be the first one to actually see Harry. But I think that there is a big chance that he figured out Harry is not dead. Especially if the info about a new WK reach him. And if Bob return to him or not.
b. Harry will quote Gandalf the White.
c. As an individual, I'd say Molly as a group/entity, The White Council.
d. Molly reaction will be the most touching, althougth if he reveals himself during a JLoC meeting Karrin's reaction should also be good, I think she would go in to shock.

3) The Winchester will probally his new "destruction toy" but I think we gona see that his mother ruby will prove much more usefull on general during CD.

4) Not sure who the immortal gona be, but he will be related to the Black Council and participated attack on Artic Tor. I'm thorned between Thorned (pun intended) and that imortal guru shapshifter from Ukraine

5) How to complete the quest Mab gave him. He will be faced between doing what she asked the easy way, giving her what she asked, and doing it his way, also acomplishing her objective. Ie: Prevent the groofs from bothering her Trolls on the border, easy way kill them, hard way negotiate some kind of deal and end with more obligations..

6) Harry will meet fix in a situation that will be obvius that Fix could kick Harry ass due ot his experience as SK and Harry relutance to hit a friend, but conflict will not happen at that moment, at least fully. Another conflict may rise later on the book or a next one where Harry will kick Fix ass.

7) We will lean the true, or most of it, about the attack on the artic tor and some of the BC objectives.

8)
We will discover that the reason Mab emprisioned Lea is because she was possed by an outsider and that Mab orquestred many of the events on PG to bring Harry to the Artic Tor and hit Lea with his outsiderbanish on the fountain, weaking the entity giving Mab the advantage she needed to heal Lea. But she didn't forsee him using Summer Fire.

We will discover that it was Mab who fixed LC, probally filling up Lea obligation.

9)

Harry will get punched by Murphy.
We will discover what Happened to the Bob/Evil Bob fight.
We will meet the Gruffs
Some new information about the Parasite will be revealed, Harry might realize that is Lash who is back but I think the realization is more likely on the next book.

On another subject, I should get extra credit for not having read the 2 CD sample chapters. I mean I'm on a disavantage here.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 10:51:05 AM by Paladino »

Offline thundrio

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 07:08:56 PM »
What is a WAG theory?

Offline Paladino

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 07:14:21 PM »
A Wild Ass Guess (WAG) is an estimate that is based upon experience, similarity and 'windage' and does not have immediately verifiable data that could be used to substantiate the estimate.

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 07:39:43 PM »
This rocks dude.

Are you submitting your own answer sheet?  Please say yes.  (Silly me, I asked before looking at the first response, I was too excited)

I'll be editing this post with my own answers later.

P.S.  I edited in a link to powerups

The Questions:

1 ) Hmmmm.  I'm going to predict that with Harry not being there to "serve" Toot took it upon himself to take more responsibility, and thus is a more... robust character.  Now that his liege is back, he's going to be key in helping Harry navigate the perils of Faedom...

I think Elaine will show up in this one still wrapped up in summer plots... I think the Gatekeeper will pop in and out a few times nudging Harry along, or maybe even out-write working with him as a near pier rather than as an enigmatic, distant, string puller who dips his staff in to nudge events occasionally.

2a.  Elaine (bob might beat her out, but I'm not sure if he counts as a friend since he has no free will)
2b.  I'll have to come up with some appropriate geekery reference, hopefully one that hasn't already been answered.
2c.  Butters (possibly with with a bob counterpoint) will have the coolest witty reaction.  (witty humor being the best humor)
This is tough, the ones that will be the most emotionally involved are also the ones that might be the most hurt... I'm going to say that the reunion with Molly will be the most touching, but because of Harry's reactions playing off of hers.
I've got 2 things that Harry will manifest...  Harry's veils will be more effective in the dark, and he will freeze something...  I'm betting there will be inadvertant slipping on ice like the loony toons plan.
1 more thing that I predict, and one that I want to happen but am not necessarily betting on.
Lash will be a player again.  And she will be in Harry's corner, and as such it will be a powerup.
I want Harry to start using soulfire to greater effect creating things.  Substantial things.  embuements that are long lasting and so much more bad ass than they would be without soulfire.  But I'm not holding my breath.
Actually, it's likely there will be at least two discrete big bads... maby more accurately put, at least one big bad and a heavy (with support) for intermediate/BSM conflict.

I'll have to come back to this later...
8 ) There are many WAG theories on the boards.  Write up to three WAG theories you believe are correct that will be confirmed (or at least have evidence in favor of) in Cold Days.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 10:41:15 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline tuttman1234

• Needs A Life
  • King of Glomps *glompsyoujustby readingthisglomp*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 07:44:48 PM »
What is a WAG theory?

Wild A$$ Guess

And I will be following Serack's example once I have worked out my answers.

The Questions:

I really feel like it will be someone we haven't met yet. Probably someone from Winter assigned to Harry as an assistant/guide/spy for Mab

Butters. Defintely.

He has to go with the Gandalf quote. He already did Star Wars in GS

Murphy. Her punching him right in the balls is gonna be hilarious

Again, I'm going to say Murphy. After the ball punching, it's gonna be a really tearjerking scene

- In each case, remember to specify for extra credit.

I think it's gonna be a lot of him blending his already powerful armada of attack power. We saw him do it some in Changes, and I think that after being trained up a bit in Mab's boot camp, we are gonna see some pretty spectacular displays of combo magic.

No idea. And on this one I want to be surprized.

I'm guessing that a lot of the book has to do with him not wanting to be the Winter Knight. He probably gets an offer, maybe from the baddie he is trying to take down, that would get him out of it.

Fix will be all smiles and jokes, sorta like "Hey, remember that time I pulled a shotgun on you because I though you might be the Winter Knight. Wasn't that hilarious? Ha?"

Harry will probably enjoy messing with him a bit, but I don't see him taking out Fix unless he absolutely has too.

Well, I think that a lot of this book is going to be reaching back to the events in PG, when Artics Tor was attacked. I think Mab is going to send Harry after whomever was behind it. And since I'm fairly certain that the BC was behind it, we will get some insights there.

Pass. Sorry, I'm having to think hard enough to come up with my own WAG theories, all listed above. Count those.

9 ) Extra credit:  Write down any prediction about that you think might improve your final score. 

Molly kisses Harry right on the lips when she sees him.

Only issues aluded to within Cold Days will be counted. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 08:37:00 PM by tuttman1234 »
Flower gleam and glow, let your power shine. Make the clock reverse, bring back what once was mine. Heal what has been hurt, change the fates design. Save what once was lost, bring back what once was mine, what once was mine.

For Mdodd. Rest in peace friend.

Drip, Drip, Drop.

Offline panorama

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 08:20:56 PM »
Toot Toot and Leah

Molly via Leah

Dropping in on Marcone unannounced.

While Marcone isn't a friend, I can't wait to see his reaction.  It'll probably be very matter-of-fact and unemotional.

Thomas (he is family after all).

Ice based attacks:  forming spears of ice, tossing snowflake shuriken, freezing air in people's lungs, etc.

Definitely Drakul.  WOJ says that the Nagloshii was potentially hired by somebody with enough juice to consider it to be cheap muscle, and has been mentioned but not seen onscreen.  Lots of people seem to think that Titania fits the bill except that Titania was onscreen twice in Summer Knight (Harry saw her with his Sight and even mentioned the experience in Turn Coat, and again at the end as a blue nimbus when Titania came to collect Aurora's body).  Drakul also is listed as having the juice to take on Mab directly, and Eb mentioned him in Blood Rites with some detail e.g. cruel and powerful, Kincaid's employer, etc.  Seems odd that somebody would get so much mention but no screen time.  I think Cold Days will finally address that.  Harry will take down Drakul with Demonreach's help.  We know DR will be involved because of the UK blurb.

Most likely something to do with Demonreach.  My guess is the necessary sacrifice of a few to safeguard the safety of billions (sort of the reverse of Changes where he sought the well-being of one, and to heck with the fallout). 

My guess is there'll be no direct confrontation, only veiled threats, sabre rattling, and puffing of chests. 

Proven Guilty was 5 or 6 books ago.  It's about time that all the loose ends from that book were tied up.  Specifically, why Mab brought Molly to Arctis Tor, who attacked it. 

In Small Favor, Nicodemus suggests that crossing over to the NeverNever from the Island was tantamount to putting a bullet in your head.  So, whatever is on the other side must be pretty dangerous.  My WAG has always been that the other side of the island is a prison in the NeverNever.  Demonreach is the Prison Guard.  In a WOJ about the island, Jim makes a weird non-sequiter-like comment about how Wardens were once singular, e.g. it was a title given to somebody.  Eb mentions in his journal in Turn Coat how Harry can be trusted with the "mantle" associated with the island.  I think Harry signed on for the job of "Warden" of the NeverNever prison when he bonded with Demonreach.  It is the Mantle of "The Warden" that Harry has now assumed.   

Eb has made two mentions of the original Merlin, the last one being after the battle in Changes.  My question is, why would Jim devote so much mention to the original Merlin in the aftermath of the battle?  Seems like a significant clue or foreshadowing to me.  My guess is that we'll find out more about the original Merlin or there'll be a link into the story somehow.

Offline Enchantedwater

• Needs A Life
  • The Wat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 08:27:08 PM »
*is too excited to speak*
"It was all like BAM! What now sucka!? Bring on your silly retinas, I got tricks!" - Wat 8)

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 09:08:03 PM »

Sith, with significant contributions by Fix and Ebenezar.

Probably Molly, Butters or Ebenezar.

The Princess Bride, Monty Python or Lord of the Rings references, depending on who he's talking to and whether he can get white clothing for the occasion.

The White Council.

Ebenezar, Thomas, Michael, Molly or Murphy. I'm leaning towards Ebenezar, he probably took Harry's death pretty damn hard.

He'll probably get a lot of use out of sucking the heat out of an enemy and then using that heat to fuel a fire spell to take down another enemy.

Someone new, possibly related to the Fomor. Or Darkhallowed up Cowl.

To use the Demonreach leyline and assure victory or to struggle on without it.

They will be very awkward initially, but eventually reconcile (Fix may or may not be mortally wounded by this time). And if he comes after Harry, he will bring at least Tiny along.

They will be revealed as trying to bring back the Outsiders.

Harry will get a changeling kid.

Lash will start drastically speeding up the rate Harry learns magic.

Harry will have to take down Cowl after a successful Darkhallow.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Ziggelly

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 09:43:37 PM »
I think the Sith dude is promising.

I'm placing my bets on the Carpenters. Either Molly or Michael.

"The rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated."
"I come back to you now at the turn of the tide." (or something else that's Gandalf-ey)

Well, I'm pretty sure that Murphy/Thomas will kick his ass.
I'm sort of curious about Mort's reaction ("he... he was dead, I swear!"). And Kincaid's, which probably won't be in this book.

Mouse. ;D Or Murph.

Well, he's definitely going to be improving his ice magic...

It'll be somebody new. He'll take them down like everyone else; sheer wit and determination, a ton of luck, and a little help from his friends.

Whether to let his daughter know about him or not? I honestly have no idea.

Fix'll survive. But their relationship will not be pleasant any longer. They'll probably fight at some point.

Ummm... what happened to all of the missing people from the paranet that were mentioned last book? Ugh, I honestly have no idea.

The Erlking gave out the belts.
Fitz is MacFinn and Tera's son.
The parasite was Lash.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 12:14:34 AM »
1 ) Harry usually has a few supporting characters in each book.  Who do you think will be the main sidekick in Cold Days and in what way will they help?  Who else will have a significant contribution to the plot? I think Elaine is due back about now.  If it isn't her, I predict Sith and Fix will be trading off in the role.  (Sith will step into Mouse's old role in combat and will hate every moment of it)

a. Who will be the first friend to find out Harry isn't dead?  Maybe Butters and Bob?  Harry will get to have multiple reveal moments.
b. What shenanigans/snark will Harry use when he "re-appears"? Princess Bride/LoTR are both manditory, probably Star Wars too; maybe a Frosty the Snowman "Happy Birthday"
c. Who will have the coolest reaction? Ebenezar (possibly not in CD); he will have found out some other way that Harry is back before Harry can surprise him.  "Aye, Hoss.  I didn't figure you'd stay out of the picture for long.  Ain't like you to leave before a job is finished."
d. Who will have the most touching reaction? Murphy; I think she will cry a little bit and then physically assault Harry, winter knight or not (you didn't say what kind of touching ;D )

3 ) In nearly every book, Harry usually comes up with a new powerup/tool/way of making things go boom.  Given that he just became the new WK, what new abilities will he rely on and which new ability will be the most useful to him during the story (and how)? Harry will learn what is on the NN side of Demonreach (whether to take advantage of its power or not is probably one of the Choices that Harry will have to make); otherwise, Harry will beef up on his Winter Knight abilities for new combat maneuvers.

4 ) Harry generally has a "Big Bad" to worry about.  In fact, according to the blurb, Harry is going after someone very specific.  Who will that enemy be, and how will Harry take him/her/it down? I predict CD to be a big chase book where Harry has to track down a Fomor with high enough rank and power to pose a threat to Demonreach under the right circumstances; whoever the big bad is, he will drop a few big hints about the actions and/or motivations of the Circle/Black Council.

5 ) Harry usually faces some sort of "Choice" in every book.  A point where the easy way out will cost his soul/humanity in some way. According to the blurb, this book will be no different.  What will be the most crucial "choice" Harry makes?  Harry will have to decide whether or not the power behind Demonreach should be saved or not and if he can get around Mab's orders.

6 ) As the new Winter Knight, Harry is pretty much garunteed to encounter his Summer counterpart -- Fix.  What will their interactions be?  Will Fix survive?  Prediction 1:  Fix will be at Mab's party along with a Gruff or two.  Their relationship will be tense at first then get closer to what it was before.  Prediction 2:  If Fix survives CD, he will remain Summer Knight until at least the BAT.  Otherwise, Elaine will be promoted to the position because of a background deal between two of the faerie queens.

7 ) Jim has mentioned that it's about time now to start revealing some of the motivations/dealings of the shadowy figures working behind the scenes (i.e. what Harry calls the "Black Council").  What Black Council secrets/actions will be revealed in this book?  The Fomor are knowing members of the BC while the Red Court was used by the BC just as much as the White Council.  We will get a clear idea about what happened and perhaps why in the assault on Arctis Tor in PG.

Erlking gave the BC the wolf belts to give to the FBI agents in Fool Moon.
Murphy's faith will start to be restored in CD to where she's ready to take up Fidelacchius in Book 15.
Lash will be the parasite from GS and will be severely limited in what she can do, at least for now.

Harry will want to visit Bob for a sounding board on what to do about the threat to Demonreach, and Sith will tell Harry the story about why Bob gets nervous around Winter.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 05:52:11 PM by Second Aristh »
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline All_Hail_the_Pizza_Lord!

• Participant
  • You are promoted from Minion to Lackey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 06:06:11 AM »
1. I think that Toot Toot will be Harry's main sidekick, partly due to his recent elevation to full General, partly due to Harry's trust in him. Especially since Harry has now taken full responsibility as Winter Knight.  I think Toot Toot will have grown even further, possibly enough to fight at Harry's side as a true companion.

2a. Molly as Lea will probably either give it away as not being needed to teach Molly anymore, or by dealing with him extensively in Winter.

2b. Definitely Gandalf. something along the lines of "I come back to you now at the turn of the tide"

2c. Kincaid, possibly not in CD. He'll be impressed at Harry's resilience,and perhaps affronted that he (Kincaid) wasn't thorough enough.

2d.Molly. when she sees him for the first time, She'll freeze for a couple of seconds, then tackle him with a hug, silent tears falling.

3.  Lash will be back, and fully backing Harry. Imagine the Winter knight with Soulfire, and an expert advisor living in his head.  We may even see a bit of jealousy for Harry's attentions, as before the psychic bullet Lash seemed to show a great deal of affection for Harry. 

4.I think there has been a coup of some kind in Winter, with Mortal forces at the heart of it, brought in by the BC.  Mab will need to have her Knight to be able to deal with it.  We may even see Harry and Mab fighting shoulder to shoulder.

5.Harry will be forced to choose between being callous and ruthless, and doing the right thing almost constantly.  He is Winter now, and they're all about cold and calculating. 

6.Fix will be nervous, pretty much crap his pants in the first minute of running into Harry again.  but then he'll collect himself and stand firm.  I don't think there will be an outright confrontation, just an understanding between them, reached after a tense reunion where both have fingers on the trigger.

7.The BC is behind the Winter coup, and will be revealed as the forerunners for the return of the Outsiders.   Destroying all meaningful resistance as a prelude to the Gates being forced open.

8.Don't know too many of the WAGs, mostly my own.

9.Lash, Molly and Murph will all be competing for Harry.  Drama ensues, and Harry defuses the tension in true Dresden fashion.  Humor and geeky quotes.
You have the rank of

Warden

Your total Dresden Files purity rating is 44.4%

All scores:

Supernatural Power:66.4%
Social Skills:39.4%
Armed Combat:6.1%
Unarmed Combat:29.2%

Offline stormrunner

• Conversationalist
  • just a random guy, not plotting evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 08:04:27 AM »
sorry about the spelling, on xbox, will fix later

The Questions
 Harry usually has a few supporting characters in each book.  Who do you think will be the main sidekick in Cold Days and in what way will they help? I'm going with new guy(cat) because it is always the new side kick who gets the focus or cause he/she/it is a ca loosely speaking

Who else will have a significant contribution to the plot? lea, toot and the guard.

At the end of Ghost Story, Harry has said goodbye to all his friends in Chicago. 

Who will be the first friend to find out Harry isn't dead? 
lea, well depending on how you define friend

What shenanigans/snark will Harry use when he "re-appears"?
"I got better" to the first person who says but you died/your dead

Who will have the coolest reaction?
lea she will act like she knew along and she may have

Who will have the most touching reaction?
it will be to close to call but some will be:
molly will cry openly no matter whose in the room and will almost if not outright kock him over hugging him he will make a joke needing his ribs or to breath then say he missed her too

murphy after he makes her belive it really is him, (which will not be easy) and after he calms her down she will end kissing him. harry will be harry and try to stop it form going any where. murphy will yell at him then ether kick him out or leave

In nearly every book, Harry usually comes up with a new of making things go boom.  Given that he just became the new WK, what new abilities will he rely on and which new ability will be the most useful to him during the story (and how)?
he will mostly learn about the physical perks(not all the fae women the other ones) and he'll mostly be using them to not become someone's snack.

Harry generally has a "Big Bad" to worry about.  In fact, according to the blurb, Harry is going after someone very specific.  Who will that enemy be, and how will Harry take him/her/it down? some minor fae no clue about how yet

Harry usually faces some sort of "Choice" in every book.  A point where the easy way out will cost his soul/humanity in some way. According to the blurb, this book will be no different.  What will be the most crucial "choice" Harry makes? something about mercy

As the new Winter Knight, Harry is pretty much garunteed to encounter his Summer counterpart -- Fix.  What will their interactions be? a talk and maybe a small which will end in a draw/harry losing. Will Fix survive?yes

Jim has mentioned that it's about time now to start revealing some of the motivations/dealings of the shadowy figures working behind the scenes (i.e. what Harry calls the "Black Council").  What Black Council secrets/actions will be revealed in this book? will answer later.

There are many WAG theories on the boards.  Write up to three WAG theories you believe are correct that will be confirmed (or at least have evidence in favor of) in Cold Days.
must look around

Extra credit:  Write down any prediction about that you think might improve your final score.  Only issues aluded to within Cold Days will be counted.
harry will be hit on by at least 3 fae woman.(not counting mab she doesn't need to)
may the forces of evil get lost on the way to your house...   in less you invite me over.