Author Topic: Hunger Reserves  (Read 4583 times)

Offline Centarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Hunger Reserves
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 10:40:07 PM »
I have not read the comments of the post, thanks for bringing that up I will take a look.

In therms of the power I guess it would be either a -1 upgrade to feeding dependency or just an addition to the power. Your point about not taking upgrades always being viable is a good one.

When I get a spare minute I will look over Fred's comments and throw something together.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2012, 10:46:05 PM »
If you're allowing Consequence expenditure on non-defense rolls, then allowing essentially the same for Hunger Consequences would not, in my opinion, qualify as an 'upgrade'.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2012, 11:30:09 PM »

Offline Centarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2012, 11:40:03 PM »
Yes, as I said it was heavily influenced by your and sancta's suggestions. Some of it is copy paste, some of it was updated.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 06:26:45 PM »
As for Fred's comment under the blog, at the least something using Hunger consequences instead of regular consequences will curb that particular kind of abuse.

Though personally, I wouldn't have much problem with something that has a Recovery power taking consequences for a boost so that they can heal quickly afterward. "I'll take this risk because I can heal afterward" is a trope old enough in itself, after all. How many times does, say, Wolverine walk through gunfire to get something accomplished because he knows he'll heal from it when others won't?

I could see it becoming a favored strategy for someone of sufficient healing ability, in fact, which I think works fine and encourages creativity in using your resources.

Also note that taking any consequence carries an element of risk. Even if you're assured to heal from a Severe consequence at the end of a scene, you still have to make it to the end of that scene. If you're constantly blowing your consequences on your own actions, it doesn't leave you with much of a safety net for when your defense fails. It's a gamble even with a recovery power.

Also it adds room for compels. Recovery powers typically come with a Catch, after all--so maybe that White Court Vampire who's jumping on a sword in order to land that last extra punch finds out a second too late that the sword was an anniversary gift given out of True Love.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2012, 01:56:31 AM »
As for Fred's comment under the blog, at the least something using Hunger consequences instead of regular consequences will curb that particular kind of abuse.

I'd expect it to make such abuse easier, actually, given that everyone capable of taking Hunger Consequences can recover 'em all instantly by eating someone.

Though personally, I wouldn't have much problem with something that has a Recovery power taking consequences for a boost so that they can heal quickly afterward.

I wouldn't have a problem with it either, in theory.

But Recovery Powers are already powerful. Stacking an extra benefit onto them at no cost seems like a bad idea.

There's also an issue with non-conflict scenes, where consequences matter less.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2012, 04:18:03 PM »
I'd expect it to make such abuse easier, actually, given that everyone capable of taking Hunger Consequences can recover 'em all instantly by eating someone.
That presumes there's someone around to be eaten, however, or that the person using those consequences wants to kill. What I meant, though, is that Hunger Consequences aren't subject to the benefits of a recovery power.

I wouldn't have a problem with it either, in theory.

But Recovery Powers are already powerful. Stacking an extra benefit onto them at no cost seems like a bad idea.
Eh, I look at it less like an extra benefit and more like a natural progression if you're going to let everyone use these consequences.

There's also an issue with non-conflict scenes, where consequences matter less.
They matter less, and they also have to be justified in some way. If it's a non-conflict, how is the consequence being generated in the narrative? And for the purposes of the conversation, I'm presuming we're talking physical consequences, which means mental and social conflicts aren't going to be affected by the recovery power.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2012, 02:16:04 AM »
-Point is that the eating-people effect is similar to the effect of a Recovery Power and much more universal.

-Extra benefit or natural progression, it still makes Recovery better without increasing its cost.

-I pull my eye out and throw it at you to pump up an Intimidation roll. I climb the cliff, but slash open my leg on a sharp rock as I do so. I stab myself, blocking out the lust incited by the WCV with pain. I delve into the deepest and most dangerous parts of the Great Library, emerging with the knowledge I need and several nasty book-bite wounds.

It's narratively appropriate to take physical consequences during some non-conflict actions. If disallowing such things is necessary for balance, then that's a real shame.

Hm. Maybe an upgrade to Recovery that let you use it with consequences spent to boost rolls.

Still, that leaves the unfortunate issue where sometimes you can avoid a hit entirely by taking a consequence smaller than the one that being hit would have forced you to take.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2012, 03:39:11 AM »
Hm. Maybe an upgrade to Recovery that let you use it with consequences spent to boost rolls.

That wouldn't be an upgrade.  That would be a nerf.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2012, 08:38:37 PM »
How so?

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2012, 08:41:55 PM »
Still, that leaves the unfortunate issue where sometimes you can avoid a hit entirely by taking a consequence smaller than the one that being hit would have forced you to take.
Actually, that I simply wouldn't allow. As far as avoiding punishment, I'd have it that that use of consequences would be right out.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2012, 08:45:44 PM »
How so?

Recovery as written affects all physical consequences.

The suggested change is in three parts:
Formalize the 'spending' of consequences as an option, presumeably available to all.
Remove the ability of standard Recovery powers to affect otherwise-physical 'spent' consequences.
Reintroduce the above removed ability as an upgrade with additional costs.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 09:00:23 PM by Tedronai »
Slough

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2012, 08:48:52 PM »

Actually, that I simply wouldn't allow. As far as avoiding punishment, I'd have it that that use of consequences would be right out.

This issue is actually quite readily resolved with a tweak in the mechanical definition of weapon ratings.
In a system where consequences can be spent to boost the defense roll, weapon ratings, instead of simply adding stress on a successful hit, also increase the cost of boosting defense rolls against the attack that bears them.
Slough

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2012, 08:50:19 PM »
Recovery as written affects all physical consequences.

The suggested change is in three parts:
Formalize the 'spending' of consequences as an option, presumeably available to all.
Remove the ability of standard Recovery powers to affect otherwise-physical 'spent' consequences.
Reintroduce the above removed ability as an upgrade with additional costs.
What would be the justification for someone's recovery power healing up in minutes a Knife Wound to the Stomach they got as a consequence after blowing their dodge roll but that same recovery power not working on the Knife Wound to the Stomach they got as a consequence by boosting a roll to finish off their opponent?

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2012, 09:04:24 PM »
What would be the justification for someone's recovery power healing up in minutes a Knife Wound to the Stomach they got as a consequence after blowing their dodge roll but that same recovery power not working on the Knife Wound to the Stomach they got as a consequence by boosting a roll to finish off their opponent?

I really don't know.
Then again, I'm not really in favour of that change, I was just clarifying it so that it could be discussed more clearly.

Presumeably, though, it would necessitate (in addition to and as a consequence of the three basic points I spelled out above) that 'spent' Consequences be of a type that would satisfy the Catch.
Slough