Author Topic: Hunger Reserves  (Read 4664 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Hunger Reserves
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2012, 09:07:08 PM »
Actually, that I simply wouldn't allow. As far as avoiding punishment, I'd have it that that use of consequences would be right out.

So would you not let them be used on defense rolls at all?

Because if not, the problem's still there. You're just papering over it.

What would be the justification for someone's recovery power healing up in minutes a Knife Wound to the Stomach they got as a consequence after blowing their dodge roll but that same recovery power not working on the Knife Wound to the Stomach they got as a consequence by boosting a roll to finish off their opponent?

The knife wound he got finishing off his opponent is bigger.

Recovery as written affects all physical consequences.

The suggested change is in three parts:
Formalize the 'spending' of consequences as an option, presumeably available to all.
Remove the ability of standard Recovery powers to affect otherwise-physical 'spent' consequences.
Reintroduce the above removed ability as an upgrade with additional costs.

Yes, exactly.

I was confused because I thought you meant the third bit was a nerf.

This issue is actually quite readily resolved with a tweak in the mechanical definition of weapon ratings.
In a system where consequences can be spent to boost the defense roll, weapon ratings, instead of simply adding stress on a successful hit, also increase the cost of boosting defense rolls against the attack that bears them.

Mechanically, that sounds an awful lot like prohibiting the use of consequences on defense rolls.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2012, 09:15:53 PM »
Mechanically, that sounds an awful lot like prohibiting the use of consequences on defense rolls.

It's either that, or further devalue weapon ratings to the point of nigh obsolescence.
If you need narrative justification, the mere need to avoid getting hit by a grenade launcher is more stressful than the need to avoid a pocket knife.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2012, 11:19:51 PM »
So would you not let them be used on defense rolls at all?

Because if not, the problem's still there. You're just papering over it.
Eh, I think we're at an impasse. What you see as a problem, I see as a feature.

The knife wound he got finishing off his opponent is bigger.
Despite being made with the same weapon, and having the same value of consequence? Eh, I don't like that solution.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2012, 11:33:47 PM »
It's either that, or further devalue weapon ratings to the point of nigh obsolescence.
If you need narrative justification, the mere need to avoid getting hit by a grenade launcher is more stressful than the need to avoid a pocket knife.

It's not a bad idea, I just thought your way of putting it seemed unnecessarily complex.

Unless, of course, you really want to retain the possibility of taking mental/social consequences against physical attacks. But even then, I think it might be better to just let people absorb stress with inappropriate consequences.

Eh, I think we're at an impasse. What you see as a problem, I see as a feature.

Didn't you just say you wouldn't allow it?

Despite being made with the same weapon, and having the same value of consequence? Eh, I don't like that solution.

My point is that talking about realism and other such things tends to be a bit quixotic when the thing in question is as abstract as consequences.

STAB WOUND could be anything from a mild to an extreme. And here's the funny thing: an extreme STAB WOUND could be smaller and less damaging than a mild one. But the guy who takes the extreme one is a mild-mannered accountant who receives a lasting scar, while the guy who takes the mild one is a action hero operating under action movie physics.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2012, 11:39:33 PM »
Didn't you just say you wouldn't allow it?
Sorry, I meant the "problem" of allowing people with recovery powers get the consequences bonuses in general, not the problem of allowing consequences to boost defense rolls.

My point is that talking about realism and other such things tends to be a bit quixotic when the thing in question is as abstract as consequences.

STAB WOUND could be anything from a mild to an extreme. And here's the funny thing: an extreme STAB WOUND could be smaller and less damaging than a mild one. But the guy who takes the extreme one is a mild-mannered accountant who receives a lasting scar, while the guy who takes the mild one is a action hero operating under action movie physics.
Fair enough.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Centarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2012, 06:14:04 PM »
I actually like the solution Tedronai proposed because it makes consequences spent defensively the same as they are normally, this is fine. Under that solution, I see no reason why recovery powers would not automatically effect consequences spent to boost rolls. Sure it makes them slightly better (someone with Mythic Recovery could get a +2 a +4 and a +6 in every combat), but it also comes with risks since after you use those bonuses you are a sitting duck and the enemy gets to tag your consequences (I am assuming that the person you use the bonus on "owns" the tag for your consequence). Plus how often do GMs allow PCs to have mythic level powers outside of super high level campaigns? I could see a +6 every scene being absurd in a 7-10 refresh game where Mythic Recovery has turned into a type of "Super Sacred Guardian," but since it requires justification for the character to have the power I would not allow it to start with (I have never played a game over 10 refresh, and never seen a PC with higher than Supernatural anything).  On the other hand, in high level games, where the justification is something like "I have had these powers for years and have now mastered them" (AKA I have played N million sessions with this power and want to upgrade it), it probably would not be so bad (when compared with the 10+ refinement wizard).