Author Topic: Modular Abilities without Shapeshifting  (Read 4020 times)

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Modular Abilities without Shapeshifting
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 04:02:45 PM »
Modular Thaumaturgy is very likely to be overpowered.

Modular Evocation, however, isn't all that hot. JDK's example guy is tossing out roughly 4-shift evocations. Not very impressive.

Seems unimpressive until you look at it this way.

Dresden started off casting 4 shift spells.  He likely only had 7 refresh starting out.  It worked for him and he had less to fall back on.

Guns are often less than weapon 4.  Evocation can allow satisfying catches of ( 5 elements and magic in general).  Evocation doesn't technically have a range listed otehr than an implied line of sight.  You can add wings or speed/toughness to the combination allowing great defenses while spellcasting.  Then after you go through 4 stresses, switch to beating face.

Mechanically it likely wouldn't be a big deal early on.  Later on....it can only get worse/better depending on which side of the spells you're on.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 09:06:49 PM »
For my own writing I have a magic system where magic element is determined by personality and repeatedly reference a guy with Dissociative Identity Disorder that skipped between powers depending on his personality.  That could be fun with a Dresden CHaracter too.

Spend 4 refresh on modular powers and say that at the beginning of the scene the player has to choose what type of channeling/ritual they know at a given time(and preset what each personality has.) All the RP possibilities too.
I'd be more than a little tempted to rule that this doesn't require modular powers (as a house rule).  Instead, just buy "Channeling(GM's choice)", and define your high concept as appropriate.  When this becomes a liability, the character gets the benefit of a compel -- or could buy off the compel to force his "round" personality into the "square" hole... 

Note: most of the time, having the GM pick the element shouldn't count as a compel, because when it comes down to it, attacking with a force-based spirit attack instead of a fire attack has little game impact.  It's largely when you, for example, fight that water elementals who are immune to water attacks where it becomes a liability.

Note 2: It would probably make sense to disallow rotes for the character; this would also provide a counterweight to the slight advantage of being able to spend a Fate point to gain flexibility in element choice.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2012, 02:03:54 AM »
Seems unimpressive until you look at it this way.

Dresden started off casting 4 shift spells.  He likely only had 7 refresh starting out.  It worked for him and he had less to fall back on.

Guns are often less than weapon 4.  Evocation can allow satisfying catches of ( 5 elements and magic in general).  Evocation doesn't technically have a range listed otehr than an implied line of sight.  You can add wings or speed/toughness to the combination allowing great defenses while spellcasting.  Then after you go through 4 stresses, switch to beating face.

Mechanically it likely wouldn't be a big deal early on.  Later on....it can only get worse/better depending on which side of the spells you're on.

I'd rather just have Potent Ranged Natural Weaponry. Just as much Catch-satisfaction and roughly the same weapon rating for no stress cost. Range is shorter, but most fights take place in small enough areas that it will rarely matter. And you can't go nova, but I think that the opportunity to use your best skill instead of a couple of okay ones is worth it.

Offline Bajra79

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 02:21:25 AM »
How exactly does Mod Abilites work when utilzing Toughness/Recovery Powers since they in themselves have a must for "Catch"?  Does a selected catch work towards your form points?  or is it just considered a 0 point?  Do you even need to select a catch?         Also if you choose a toughness/recovery power outside of your form pool, then any associated catches would apply to form pool abilites right?

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 02:23:54 AM »
I've always worked on the assumption that you pay for the combined cost of your toughness/recovery and Catch powers with your form points.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2012, 04:07:06 PM »
The note at the bottom of page 185 of Your Story ought to answer your question.

Offline Bajra79

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2012, 02:01:05 AM »
Well dang i missed that blurb on pg 185.  I was looking around the modular ability page.
thanks for pointin that out!

Offline SunJester

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2012, 02:16:58 PM »
Thanks all for your input.  I haven't been posting, but I have been following the discussion with interest.  Sadly, the player has since decided that he isn't going to go with a modular powers type of character. 

Offline Orladdin

• Conversationalist
  • The Undauntable
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2012, 06:37:06 PM »
There is a modular abilities, non-shapeshifter character in my current game. 

I'm the Storyteller.  One of my players loves the intricate characters I often come up with.  When I told him I was running a Dresden game (he hadn't read the series yet, but has now) he gave me a "normal guy" character and then told me to "surprise him" and design powers for the guy; slowly revealing them to him during the game.

I went with a man who was "inspired" by the classical Greek muses.  Depending on which muse is inspiring him at any given time, he has a different set of powers.  He started play with three different muses that he got to know over the first four or so sessions, and he has started to meet more non-classic Greek ones since.

As his refresh goes up, I expect to expand upon it by allowing him to either have multiple muses at once (his combination choice) or allow the muses to grant greater benefits.

He's loving it so far.

I can't wait until we get to the spirits/ghosts storyline I'm working on and his muses become directly threatened or involved!  Holy Emergent Story Hooks, Batman!
There is never a blanket answer to an ethical question.  This includes the Laws of Magic.

Perpetrator of The Cold Days Release FAQ

"I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones."
-- The Doctor, Timewyrm: Genesys

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Accelerated: The Emerald City: Requiem
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2012, 06:51:59 PM »
In our Emerald City game we have a character who is a martial arts master who uses Modular Abilities to represent his Ki Powers.  It has worked out pretty well.  He mostly uses Cloak of Shadows and Spider-walk for stealth situations, Inhuman Strength, Toughness and Speed for combat sometimes enhanced by Claws.  Although he rarely uses the later because he caries a Weapon of Power as a badge of his station as the defender of the Eastern Temple.   
It's not the Heat, It's the Humanity.

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/

Offline SunJester

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2012, 01:05:55 AM »
In our Emerald City game we have a character who is a martial arts master who uses Modular Abilities to represent his Ki Powers.  It has worked out pretty well.  He mostly uses Cloak of Shadows and Spider-walk for stealth situations, Inhuman Strength, Toughness and Speed for combat sometimes enhanced by Claws.  Although he rarely uses the later because he caries a Weapon of Power as a badge of his station as the defender of the Eastern Temple.   

Oh, I have got to say, I like the idea of modular abilities representing different focusing of ki.  That's smart.  Even though he has decided against this concept, I have to pass that along.  It might convince him to change his mind.  Thanks!