Author Topic: What was life like before the accords?  (Read 1810 times)

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
What was life like before the accords?
« on: September 05, 2012, 04:14:09 PM »
I'd asked this question on another thread, but it had gotten lost among the other questions I'd been asking.

I'm going to start a game that pre-dates the accords  (or at least I think it does since it takes place between 1600-1700's)   What was life like for both mortals and the various supernatural factions before the accords?

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: What was life like before the accords?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 04:22:37 PM »
The Accords referenced in the novels are referenced as 'the most recent set'.
We have no idea when the first set of Accords were established, but I would suspect that they would have existed, in some form, for many hundreds of years, at least.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 04:27:02 PM »
Not much in the ways of canon talks about how things were pre-accords.  But apparantly the White Council/Red Court war was tame and civil compared to the violence pre-accords.  My take on it is that it was basically a supernatural free for all among the supernatural nations.

Offline Chrono

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 05:12:18 PM »
Judging by how supernatural stories rise and fall, I would say the earlier versions of the accords were all about blood feuds. In other words, if someone did you wrong you got to declare that you would kill them and that was that. I imagine the new accords were needed since everyone came up with excuses of paying back blood feuds with more blood feuds. Maybe the earliest verson of the accords had something to do with the old gods staking territory, and you had to declare an alegience and stay within that territory of believers.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 08:05:45 PM »
Yeah, I know there isn't much in the books about it.  I'm mostly wanting to hear peoples theories/thoughts on it.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 04:04:51 AM »
Civilization started, what, 8000 years ago?

Maybe that's when the first Accords were signed.

I imagine that back before the Accords there were no real nations of supernaturals. Just because you and me are both Wizards, doesn't mean we're even remotely friendly. It's a free-for-all, and anyone without a gang gets messed up.

Especially if they end up meeting a god...I expect the gods were more active then.

Eventually the gods go to sleep or whatever, the little magic gangs turn into nations, and eventually it makes sense to form peace treaties. Then, civilization becomes possible and non-magical humans get to matter.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 04:06:39 AM »
!00% more awesome.

I'm bad with rules. Ask my GMs.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 04:22:45 AM »
There was a lot more blood.  Life before the accords?  You've got the Ice Age, Greek and Norse mythology, whatever disaster caused the Sahara and Mesopotamia to dry up.  The Old Testament.

I'd imagine the Accords first got signed during the Roman empire, but were much looser.  They'd undergo revision at most major shifts in human history, reacting to the way mortals dealt with them.  The White Council wouldn't have been recognized until the early Medieval period, after the original Merlin and Arthur.

Ooh!  Maybe the Accords were first signed in the time of Camelot?

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 04:28:13 AM »
There was a lot more blood.  Life before the accords?  You've got the Ice Age, Greek and Norse mythology, whatever disaster caused the Sahara and Mesopotamia to dry up.  The Old Testament.

I'd imagine the Accords first got signed during the Roman empire, but were much looser.  They'd undergo revision at most major shifts in human history, reacting to the way mortals dealt with them.  The White Council wouldn't have been recognized until the early Medieval period, after the original Merlin and Arthur.

Ooh!  Maybe the Accords were first signed in the time of Camelot?

I like that idea a lot.

In game terms...life before accords...more fun!

Offline Mr. Cool Breeze

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 04:31:57 AM »
A whole lot messier, that seems to be a wise agreement. The First Accords probably came about with the formation of the White Council. Why would other powers negotiate with prey that really wasn't organized enough to defend itself outside of some torches and pitchforks. I'm betting the most recent ones, if there have been more than one, were caused by a massive escalation of bloodshed on all sides caused under the table by Mab. That way everyone would be more likely to sign her version of the Accords than another.

Offline Nightbreed DOA

• Participant
  • High Shadowmancer of Darkenspire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 06:41:30 PM »
A whole lot messier, that seems to be a wise agreement. The First Accords probably came about with the formation of the White Council. Why would other powers negotiate with prey that really wasn't organized enough to defend itself outside of some torches and pitchforks. I'm betting the most recent ones, if there have been more than one, were caused by a massive escalation of bloodshed on all sides caused under the table by Mab. That way everyone would be more likely to sign her version of the Accords than another.

I think there may be something to this. Remember that the Gods were mostly in power because of the beleif fed to them by the humans (and other possible beings) that may have worshiped them. As Humanity grew more independent their power waned. I think Mab, ever the opportunist, took advantage and seeing as how she likes humans as playthings came up with this to kinda curb the supernatural community and also make sure that humans don't go extinct (yet?). Mab only does things to her advantage in one way or another after all.  ;)

Just my opinion as always.  8)