Author Topic: Worst Kick in the Gut Moments in the Series  (Read 17740 times)

Offline jeditigger

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Worst Kick in the Gut Moments in the Series
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2012, 06:27:57 AM »
The very first kick in the gut moment I thought of when I started reading this thread still hasn't been mentioned: The last page of Changes.

Unlike a lot of the others mentioned, it loses a lot of its impact on rereading, because you know it's coming, and even more-so, you know it can't be permanent (one way or another). But thinking back to the very first time I read it, the day after it came out in hardcover, no spoilers on line, no hints from friends who'd read it before me. Completely out of left field. I was on a break at work at the time, and I literally sat there staring at the page with my mouth hanging open for more than a minute. And then I cussed a blue streak at the evil bastard who'd end a book like that for five. And then, of course, I went home and read the whole book all over again.  ::)

Yes, the page that made millions of voices suddenly cry out in terror and made a wonderful, if sadistic, author cackle in glee. It's really moments like that that bring out the best and worst in Jim. :)
@jeditigger on Twitter
Quote from: Spot
BatPooh! You shall be known as BatPooh now. Yup.

Offline Mercutio

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2012, 10:37:34 PM »
The very first kick in the gut moment I thought of when I started reading this thread still hasn't been mentioned: The last page of Changes.

Unlike a lot of the others mentioned, it loses a lot of its impact on rereading, because you know it's coming, and even more-so, you know it can't be permanent (one way or another). But thinking back to the very first time I read it, the day after it came out in hardcover, no spoilers on line, no hints from friends who'd read it before me. Completely out of left field. I was on a break at work at the time, and I literally sat there staring at the page with my mouth hanging open for more than a minute. And then I cussed a blue streak at the evil bastard who'd end a book like that for five. And then, of course, I went home and read the whole book all over again.  ::)

Other big ones for me:
* The other scene KnightShade was confabulating from in Dead Beat, when Butters gets dragged out the window of Harry's apartment by Grevane's zombies. That damn near stopped my heart the first time!
* The hospital scene at the end of SmF that several people have already mentioned. I weep every time. (Dangerous while driving!)
* The farewell scene with Luccio at the end of TC. Another total tear-jerker.

Yeah, there are a lot of them...I just hope Jim stays satisfied with continually, nearly killing Butters and doesn't actually make it stick one of these books, because I might just have to throttle him. (Not to death or anything of course, he's got more books to write, after all.   ;D )

LML

Just as bad are the opening pages of Aftermath, where the previous scenes impact is shown to us in a perspective we hadn't seen the in the series before.
"Damn I meant to roll a Monk."

Offline Nexfalx

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2012, 04:49:54 AM »
don't now if it has been said, but it was a kick in the gut when one of my favorite lines from Changes (the roasting marshmallows as the world burns) got turned on it's head in GS when they mention it was one thing to watch the world burn, another to watch "molly burn" or something like that, can't think of the exact quote, only did on read through GS back when it came out, just started over though. =)

Offline Galvatron

• Conversationalist
  • No matter where you go, there you are
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2012, 11:38:31 PM »
For me it was Michael getting shot

stomach did a back flip
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side"

Offline The Fish

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2012, 03:47:20 AM »
1st and last sight of Murphy in GS anyone? or seeing Thomas' grief? Murphy in GP when she got psycho-wammied. Micky Malone. the ghosts at Biancas
Are you my mummy? - Dr. Who, The Empty Child

"You May Not Get killed"- City motto of Ank-Morpork

Offline jattsanehwalda

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2012, 04:45:36 AM »
sf-murphy handcuffs him
fm-he tells kim about the circle
gp-he loses amorchiaus(spellcheck)
dm-shiro trades himself and eb killing ortega
br-soulgaze with thomas
db-hawaii with kincaid-finding the truth about eb
pg-trial when it seems molly is going to lose her head
smf-mentioned
tc-skinwalker taking thomas
changes-opening sentence
"The dead are likely dull fellows, full of tedious complaints - 'the ground's too cold, my gravestone should be larger, why does HE get more worms than I do...'"

Offline Mercutio

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2012, 04:55:28 AM »
1st and last sight of Murphy in GS anyone? or seeing Thomas' grief? Murphy in GP when she got psycho-wammied. Micky Malone. the ghosts at Biancas

Justine seems to have taken care of (some of) Thomas' trouble... even Uriel approves.

Offline robertltux

• Posty McPostington
  • Cat Sith Must rise again
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2012, 02:40:25 PM »
Justine seems to have taken care of (some of) Thomas' trouble... even Uriel approves.

Well i suppose Uriel at least knows "It Is Needed" im not sure about approves as such
(hmm i wonder if Justine and ??? "playing" provides an appetizer for Thomas)
Jim/Bast could we have more Cat Sith???

Offline Tigris

• Conversationalist
  • I'm really just a pussy cat ;)....
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2012, 03:05:56 PM »
I think he (Uriel) smiled. That usually signals approval, at least of Justine in skimpy lingerie.  ;)
An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why. - William Faulkner

Offline Mercutio

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2012, 06:18:07 AM »
I think he (Uriel) smiled. That usually signals approval, at least of Justine in skimpy lingerie.  ;)

I took that as Uriel approving on both levels.  ;)

o_O

« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2012, 11:03:30 PM »
It kind of makes me think that the story of Thomas will be a 'redemption from Whampiness' story.

Offline LordDresden

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2012, 08:30:20 PM »
That was the moment that sold me on the DF; it told me this was a series where things had real, serious, no-do-over consequences, for a character who up to that point had looked like a perfectly plausible ongoing cast member.  A couple of the other ones being quoted here are ones I admire, and found very satisfying as a reader, for pretty much the same reason.  (If a series wants me to remain emotionally engaged, there has to be the possibility of serious negative consequences to characters it wants me to care about; if defeat never happens victory is meaningless.)

I agree with this completely.

Further, the death of Carmichael was unnecessary, in the sense that it could have been avoided, and should have been.  His death was the natural consequence of various bad decisions on several people's parts, but esp. Murphy.  That very needlessness adds a flavor of reality to the story.

And yeah, it was a kick in the gut.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 08:49:11 PM by LordDresden »

Offline LordDresden

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2012, 08:47:08 PM »
I find the suicides on Love Hurts really repulsive, especially the brother and sister one..

I mean, to have their mind/feeling tampered to belive something is good, to feel really good doing it, but on unaware level to know that is fundamentally wrong. I can't not imagine how low they would probally think of themselves for doing what they were forced to do, and even lower because they liked doing it. And not being aware that it is not their fault they are acting like that? That they aren't a terrible person.. 

And than the conflict inside their minds push them to suicide, and if they were christian, they would have died thinkign they were condemning their souls..

I don't think you can torture someone much more than that. Or of an act of evil much worse than that.

Hence the Fourth Law of Magic.

Offline eiredrake

• Participant
  • My milkshake brings all the gamers to the yard.
    • View Profile
    • Troubled Waters - A Dresden Files Campaign
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2012, 06:25:28 AM »
Probably:
1) When ghost-Harry has to leave Mouse.

That part made me cry.
Blessed are the Game Masters. For verily without them we wouldst all be playing Paychecks and Expenses for our whole lives without relief.

Offline Phariah

• Posty McPostington
  • When you hear hoof beats think horses not zebras.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2012, 12:02:24 PM »
Charity telling Harry to stay in ER.

Eb telling Harry he is his GranPa in CI.

Molly's trial. Harry winning and than realizes he went too far and the Merlin still gonna execute her.

in PG Harry thinking Mouse is dead after the Jinn hit him.

Ivy being taken / imprisonned

Meryl dying.

the talk w/ Bob after the Deeps ghoul battle, about Lash.
Duty is as heavy as a mountain
  Death is as light as a feather

DV Phariah V1.2 YR 2 FR0.5 BK+++RP JB- TH WG+++ CL SW BC+ MC--- SH[Murphy++, Lara+]