Author Topic: Seelie/Unseelie Magic and Aspects?  (Read 1649 times)

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Seelie/Unseelie Magic and Aspects?
« on: August 25, 2012, 10:31:51 PM »
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone else has experimented with creating attack spells that also trigger aspects on yourself or the target?  Since this type of sponsored magic allows you to create evocation at the speed of Thaumaturgy and your allowed to create aspects with Thaumaturgy these types of Rotes seem legitimate?

(Lets say these two wizards have a Total 6 Control, and 6 Power for their sponsored magic.)

-Seelie Magic
Homing Fireballs
-Targets: Single vs. Athletics
-Attack: 6 + 1 Aspect (Homing?)
-Weapon: 3

-Unseelie Magic
Frozen Binding
-Targets: Single vs. Might
-Attack: 6
-Effect: Grapple at Strength 3, (Using the Grapple rules, needing an aspect)
-Duration: 1 Exchange (Extended by taking a stress each exchange?)

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Seelie/Unseelie Magic and Aspects?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 10:53:11 PM »
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone else has experimented with creating attack spells that also trigger aspects on yourself or the target?  Since this type of sponsored magic allows you to create evocation at the speed of Thaumaturgy and your allowed to create aspects with Thaumaturgy these types of Rotes seem legitimate?

(Lets say these two wizards have a Total 6 Control, and 6 Power for their sponsored magic.)

-Seelie Magic
Homing Fireballs
-Targets: Single vs. Athletics
-Attack: 6 + 1 Aspect (Homing?)
-Weapon: 3

-Unseelie Magic
Frozen Binding
-Targets: Single vs. Might
-Attack: 6
-Effect: Grapple at Strength 3, (Using the Grapple rules, needing an aspect)
-Duration: 1 Exchange (Extended by taking a stress each exchange?)

The other way round. Sponsored magic can do Thaumaturgy with the methods and speed of Evocation. I don't think that Seelie/Unseelie magic lets you do this though.
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 11:10:52 PM »
I think it's sponsored magic so...maybe?

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 12:06:09 AM »
I was wondering if anyone else has experimented with creating attack spells that also trigger aspects on yourself or the target?
Not with rotes, though I have with thaumaturgy.  Not much point in using it for rotes - it splits the effect too much to be worthwhile.

Take your "Homing Fireballs" as an example - you have it set up for three shifts of effect plus one fragile aspect.  If you used the aspect immediately you'd get the equivalent of five shifts of effect...but you spent six.  You're better off simply using all six in the attack.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 07:20:05 AM »
Not with rotes, though I have with thaumaturgy.  Not much point in using it for rotes - it splits the effect too much to be worthwhile.

Take your "Homing Fireballs" as an example - you have it set up for three shifts of effect plus one fragile aspect.  If you used the aspect immediately you'd get the equivalent of five shifts of effect...but you spent six.  You're better off simply using all six in the attack.

But if your likely to miss won't it be better to hit with the slightly lower weapon value. 

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 09:13:44 PM »
But if your likely to miss won't it be better to hit with the slightly lower weapon value.

Maybe, but in that case, you probably shouldn't be using a rote - a successful non-rote spell will have a much greater attack rating, making it harder to defend against. Also, it's worth remembering that even if you only match or get +1 on your attack, you're still doing the spell's power in shifts of damage.

Rotes are there to be fallbacks - things for when you absolutely, critically need to get a spell off with no chance of losing control.
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 05:48:18 AM »
Maybe, but in that case, you probably shouldn't be using a rote - a successful non-rote spell will have a much greater attack rating, making it harder to defend against. Also, it's worth remembering that even if you only match or get +1 on your attack, you're still doing the spell's power in shifts of damage.

Rotes are there to be fallbacks - things for when you absolutely, critically need to get a spell off with no chance of losing control.

What the hell are you talking about?  A non-rote spell has the same to hit roll as a rote spell you still roll your discipline and apply the appropriate bonuses.  You simply didn't need to control the spell you still used Discipline + foci to hit?

Offline Centarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 03:07:43 PM »
That is correct, you are no more likely to hit with a rote spell as a non-rote spell. I don't know that I would allow a player to place aspects with a spell and then tag them for a bonus on the same spell. I would avoid allowing grapples with spells, especially prolong-able ones, that get into Orbius territory, which is clearly broken.

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 08:52:42 PM »
Centarion, I agree with you that the grapple part was risky but I was thinking since it basically follows the normal rules for grapple its not as broken as Orbius, especially since your power to actually hold the target is dropped by needing the aspect part.