Author Topic: Making PCs Faerie Esquires?  (Read 1537 times)

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Making PCs Faerie Esquires?
« on: August 16, 2012, 04:04:58 PM »
I've been thinking on Aspects and temporary powers and Sidhe favours, and I now have a question: How would one go about making a PC an esquire to one of the Faerie Courts, like Harry and Morgan post-Proven Guilty?

The easiest way would be to make them one during character creation, but I was wondering how you could do this as a reward. You could say that everyone has to replace one of their Aspects with Esquire to Summer/Winter, but that seems a bit arbitrary. I see two other ways to handle this: either you have a custom power of Esquire to Summer/Winter [-0], allowing you to call in one favour, or you have a fragile temporary aspect (one free tag/declaration) of Esquire to Summer/Winter, which lasts as long as you don't use it.

Thoughts?
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
Re: Making PCs Faerie Esquires?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 04:11:26 PM »
Just make it an aspect they can tag once for the favor.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 08:14:41 PM »
A single-use bonus aspect makes sense for situations like Harry/Morgan's.

If you want a more permanent arrangement (kind of a Knight-lite), then consider having the character add the Emissary template (or replacing, if the character was formerly pure mortal).  The character modifies his high concept (possibly by tacking ", Esquire of Winter" on the end of it), gains Marked By Power, and might have further opportunities to develop other powers.

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 08:41:40 PM »
A single-use bonus aspect makes sense for situations like Harry/Morgan's.

If you want a more permanent arrangement (kind of a Knight-lite), then consider having the character add the Emissary template (or replacing, if the character was formerly pure mortal).  The character modifies his high concept (possibly by tacking ", Esquire of Winter" on the end of it), gains Marked By Power, and might have further opportunities to develop other powers.

I had a Harry/Morgan-type arrrangement in mind, TBH. I thought this would be the best way to do it. I was triped up by the 'You can only have 7 Aspects' thing, but I suppose if the GM says one extra single-use one is OK, you could have that.
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Offline Ghsdkgb

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 08:48:34 PM »
When my party did this, I just had them add a token to their inventory. The rules don't specify much about inventory, but everybody carries stuff around with them, so why not make use of it?

As an aside, I love the phrase "knight lite". I'm going to find a reason to use that someday.
"I am responsible for more than my own fun."

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 09:04:55 PM »
I had a Harry/Morgan-type arrrangement in mind, TBH. I thought this would be the best way to do it. I was triped up by the 'You can only have 7 Aspects' thing, but I suppose if the GM says one extra single-use one is OK, you could have that.
You can have as many temporary aspects as you like, however. And "temporary" is a really mutable term. Right now, one of my players has the long-term temporary aspects "I Owe A Favor to a Malvora Prince" and "An Elf owes me $7.50" that've been there for several scenarios and which I plan to compel eventually as plot hooks.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 09:10:06 PM by Mr. Death »
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 10:33:58 PM »
Agreed with Mr. Death. Temporary aspects with a limited duration or number of tags/compels are great for modeling all sorts of things. For example, I often see GMs give out an aspect like "Fat Wads of Cash" after a thief fences a stolen object, with a limit of only being tagged once (or twice, or however many times is appropriate) for a resources roll before it's all spent.