Author Topic: Other Ideas for the Catch, your thoughts?  (Read 1203 times)

Offline Mr. Ghostbuster

• Conversationalist
  • Jimbassador to the United States
    • View Profile
Other Ideas for the Catch, your thoughts?
« on: August 09, 2012, 10:41:39 PM »
I'm helping someone put a game together and one of our players wants his character to have a Catch that is mental in nature, rather than physical. He's building a character who I guess fuels his physical abilities from being possessed by a powerful spirit and that if he behaves in a way opposite of the spirit (its a Spirit of Justice), it somehow satisfies the Catch. In theory I don't have an issue with this, in fact it sounds kind of interesting. The only concern both the GM and I had is that it stays balanced obviously. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on this? The obvious solution is to have the Catch somehow affect his mental stress or maybe use a vampire sheet and use the hunger stress track.
DV Warden of Iowa City 1.0 YR4 FR(M)1 BK+++ RP JB++ TH+ WG++ CL+ SW BC+ MC---- FF+ SH++[Murphy+++ Lara+ Gard+ Molly-]

Hi. I'm the future director of The Dresden Files movie. Wink.

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Other Ideas for the Catch, your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 10:54:43 PM »
You might want to check out (and adapt) my Demonhost Template. No idea about the Mental Catch though. Maybe make it so that if a character attacks them and the attacking character is in hte right, the Catch is satisfied? Although, this would definitely be a +0 catch.
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 10:59:56 PM »
What type of toughness powers does he want? If he only wants inhuman level powers, then a [+0] catch will work just fine. If you want to grant the player some refresh back, you could attach it to human form (involuntary change), which will then be sort of like the catch. The human form trigger would then be anything that would oppose the spirits agenda.
If he is going for more than inhuman, I would require him to take up a catch that can be met by other people, simply because he will become nigh invincible otherwise.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 11:39:51 PM »
A Catch is supposed to be a means of attack that the opponent can discover and use to bypass the character's defenses.  This sounds more like a Human Form (powers conditionally available) or an aspect to be compelled when the character misbehaves.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 12:23:26 AM »
The Catch Rewrite that was worked on a while back might be of some use, here, if someone wants to dig that up (Sanct?).
It basically amounted to providing a Refresh rebate in proportion to the likelyhood of any given scene seeing the affected Powers bypassed by means of the Catch.
So, you'd work out an estimate at character creation (or whenever the Power is acquired) for how often this will happen, assign the appropriate rebate, and adjust during play as necessary to match the actual trend that develops.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 03:31:29 AM »
The master list thread contains both mental toughness and a revised Catch. Check reply 522 and reply 547.