Author Topic: Making a killing curse  (Read 1238 times)

Offline FishStampede

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Making a killing curse
« on: August 02, 2012, 04:21:18 PM »
I'm trying to make a killing curse to use if my villain decides to just take out the PCs, but I want it to be somewhat "Fair Play." That is, they have a good chance of escaping it even after it starts if they're clever enough, while also making for a nice and interesting scene as they try to escape its effects. Also, this is to exercise the thaumaturgy system so I can get a better handle on it, as hopefully I will never need to use this. I probably should have chosen something less difficult for my first custom spell, but I have to follow the muse.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 06:20:48 PM by FishStampede »

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Making a killing curse
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 05:54:27 PM »
I think you're on the right track to start off by nerfing the mechanics in the interest of fun/playability/style/etc.  The Thaumaturgy rules as written are probably overkill, assuming the most common interpretations are correct.  Basically, assuming the villain has a symbolic link and a little creativity in throwing together a few declarations, the villain can nuke the player in short order.  Which isn't going to be fun.
(click to show/hide)
Basically, ignore the rules and design an encounter, rather than a spell.

Offline FishStampede

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 06:13:59 PM »
What you mentioned is pretty much exactly what I am going for. I guess I didn't explain it too well. Edit: In fact, looks like I left off the spell's damage entirely! Oops.

(click to show/hide)

I don't want to ignore the rules entirely because thaumaturgy's still a tool for my PCs and I'm making this spell as a way to help myself understand the rules as much as it is a tool in the villain's arsenal. Unless things go horribly wrong plot-wise, this spell will probably never come into play. However, just like the horror it's named for, it's sitting there...waiting.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 06:22:43 PM by FishStampede »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 09:04:55 PM »
(click to show/hide)

That's not how Aspects work. You only get one tag, unless you buy the Aspect repeatedly.

Honestly, I don't see much reason to introduce the Aspect rules here.

For weird spells like this, you basically have to make up a system for determining complexity yourself. Either that or just pick a number.

My preferred system would be complexity = shift value of attack + 2 x number of zones hit + number of extra attacks + total value of the wards and thresholds in the way + 4 for each sticky aspect inflicted.

I made that up on the spot, but it ought to give a semi-reasonable result. Namely, 18 + number of attacks beyond the first (let's say 10) + the barriers that need to be broken (let's say 0).

So, 28ish.

Offline FishStampede

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 11:59:52 PM »
Used the aspects because of possible similarity to the weapons-grade entropy curse, and because it basically imposes a moving environmental hazard. Looking back, it seems that environmental hazards are not actually aspects and that seems odd to me, but I'll change that. I know you only get one free tag, that's why I have all those extra shifts at the bottom for maximum health boxes and consequences. I figured those were used to "repeat until dead." Did I misunderstand that part?

As much as I'd like to wing it or use an alternate system, the issue here is I'm using this to get an understanding of the system as is. Those suggestions are good but would be more useful if I was more familiar with the system. I need to know how to handle it if a player decides to do something even remotely similar, though obviously less lethal.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 01:34:18 AM »
Used the aspects because of possible similarity to the weapons-grade entropy curse, and because it basically imposes a moving environmental hazard. Looking back, it seems that environmental hazards are not actually aspects and that seems odd to me, but I'll change that. I know you only get one free tag, that's why I have all those extra shifts at the bottom for maximum health boxes and consequences. I figured those were used to "repeat until dead." Did I misunderstand that part?

Sort of.

There's no real system here; you just have to eyeball things to work out how many shifts they're worth.

Charging the number of shifts required to auto-kill to have the swarm repeat until the target is dead is a reasonable way to get a cost for a swarm that automatically kills its target, but I didn't think you wanted that.

Environmental hazards can be aspects too, by the way. Anything can be an aspect.

As much as I'd like to wing it or use an alternate system, the issue here is I'm using this to get an understanding of the system as is. Those suggestions are good but would be more useful if I was more familiar with the system. I need to know how to handle it if a player decides to do something even remotely similar, though obviously less lethal.

"Wing it or use an alternate system" is the system as it is.

The Thaumaturgy rules rely on the GM working out a fair complexity for whatever effect the players want to use. Guidelines are presented, but for odd ideas like this one you're on your own.

I think my suggestion ought to cover similar ideas from players, as long as players are also attacking zones and not characters.