Author Topic: Ask a simple question...  (Read 18885 times)

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Ask a simple question...
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2012, 10:59:34 PM »
Stupid question, but it has been coming up in our games a lot?  When filling in stress boxes, if you take 3 stress do you just fill in the 3rd box or do you fill in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd boxes?

Please provide page #?

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 29, 2012, 11:06:19 PM »
I'm away from my books at the moment, but it's just the 3rd.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Chrono

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 29, 2012, 11:47:51 PM »
Your Story page 202. It gives actual examples and shows a picture of how the stress boxes are filled out.

Only the 3 is checked off. The confusion is understandable since other fate games have you check off all 3 circles.

Offline Chrono

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 30, 2012, 12:22:47 AM »
Can a character with only fire,earth, and air evocation still make an enchanted item using water? I wouldn't think so, but I can't find it in the rules.

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 30, 2012, 01:38:17 AM »
I'd say you can, since an enchanted is technically thaumaturgy - the main block on using elements that you're not familiar with in combat is time - Harry's gravitus spell would technically be combat thaumaturgy. Since you don't have to worry about this with an enchanted, as the spell is already keyed up and ready to go, I see no reason why you can't have an enchanted with a Water evocation in it, if you can have an Enchanted that summons a construct (and you can, technically).

EDIT: YS279 says 'Nearly any effect within the realm of Evocation or Thaumaturgy is allowed', which suggests that the normal element restrictions are waived.

Look at it this way: when you're using an enchanted item, you're not actually using Evocation, you're triggering thoumaturgy you did earlier.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 01:40:35 AM by THE_ANGRY_GAMER »
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Offline GryMor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 30, 2012, 02:44:25 AM »
Can a character with only fire,earth, and air evocation still make an enchanted item using water? I wouldn't think so, but I can't find it in the rules.

You are only restricted in what effects you can create with self made enchanted items and potions when you don't have full Thaumaturgy nor Ritual: Crafting.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 30, 2012, 04:34:59 AM »
You are only restricted in what effects you can create with self made enchanted items and potions when you don't have full Thaumaturgy nor Ritual: Crafting.

To clarify:  IF you have Thaumaturgy or Ritual: Crafting, you can make anything.
If you don't, you can only create enchanted items whose effects you could actually perform. 

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 30, 2012, 09:19:22 AM »
Hello all,

I would like to make sure I understand Thaumaturgy properly?

I can summon up to twice my lore in shifts of power, and then I divide that into a series of rolls which I then need to succeed on each one or it blows up in my face?

-Is the power level restricted to double the lore value, or Lore + Foci Value times 2?

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 30, 2012, 09:58:54 AM »
Hello all,

I would like to make sure I understand Thaumaturgy properly?

I can summon up to twice my lore in shifts of power, and then I divide that into a series of rolls which I then need to succeed on each one or it blows up in my face?

-Is the power level restricted to double the lore value, or Lore + Foci Value times 2?

The power level is not restrictied at all, I think. You just need to be able to meet the defecit between your Lore and the power level, either by using Foci, taking consequences, or making declarations.

You are correct about the control rolls. If you fail just one, you take all the shifts of power you previously controlled as backlash or fallout, which is why it's better to have the more difficult rolls at the start, IMO.
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Offline Orladdin

• Conversationalist
  • The Undauntable
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 30, 2012, 12:24:13 PM »
Your Story page 202. It gives actual examples and shows a picture of how the stress boxes are filled out.

Only the 3 is checked off. The confusion is understandable since other fate games have you check off all 3 circles.

Some other FATE games.  Not all.  About 1/2 of them, actually.
There is never a blanket answer to an ethical question.  This includes the Laws of Magic.

Perpetrator of The Cold Days Release FAQ

"I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones."
-- The Doctor, Timewyrm: Genesys

Offline Orladdin

• Conversationalist
  • The Undauntable
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 30, 2012, 12:29:45 PM »
The power level is not restrictied at all...
Correct.  Lots of people have made house-rules to restrict it, though (typically unnecessary, but one wily wizard can ruin a game for everyone).  Check with your GM.

...You just need to be able to meet the defecit between your Lore and the power level, either by using Foci, taking consequences, or making declarations.
Correct.  Bold is the important part.  You have to succeed at gathering the materials necessary to meet the complexity of the spell before you begin.  Your Lore is the base complexity (and what you can do without needing additional material components or preparation).
There is never a blanket answer to an ethical question.  This includes the Laws of Magic.

Perpetrator of The Cold Days Release FAQ

"I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones."
-- The Doctor, Timewyrm: Genesys

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 30, 2012, 04:43:01 PM »
While on the topic of thaumaturgy, in the prep phase you're basically making scene aspects and tagging them instantly correct?  Meaning you can't tag these aspects while actually casting the spell?  If this is the case can you still spend fate points on any of these aspects if they make narratve sense?

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 30, 2012, 05:39:06 PM »
By my interpretation: true, true, and true.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 30, 2012, 11:12:01 PM »
Can you use Greater Glamours to cause damage?  Lets say you use it to create a swarm of bees that then begin stinging someone, is that only going to be a Declaration or is it able to do physical stress?

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 30, 2012, 11:34:11 PM »
As poorly defined as Greater Glamours is, it's very difficult to determine what, exactly, it is capable of.

My interpolation would be 'you create
  • , after which
  • acts as
  • would be expected to', and only model that directly as stress (ie. an attack) if what you're attempting to create would immediately and plainly result in harm to an individual (creating a rock above someone's head, which then falls on them, etc.)

Note, though, that only the GM is likely to ever be faced with a quesion such as this, as the players are incredibly unlikely to come into such power, it being explicitly called out as belonging to 'Pure' Fae, which are not generally the source for player characters.
Slough