Author Topic: An in-game crisis between pure mortality and supernaturalhood (not a changeling)  (Read 4702 times)

Offline Viatos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Aren't those views contradictory?

Not really. Magical potential is hardly the only area of talent subject to bloodline. If it's a problem, here's a cool idea: learn Thaumaturgy. Work on rituals to develop magical potential. Start supercharging the human race. Bloodline is hardly the only factor, either.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Ah, well. I'll say we've reached the very limits of what could be discussed, with our current knowledge of the DV, so I'll concede this argument. That said, a magical ritual to increase your magical power feels kinds screwy to me.

Offline Viatos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Ah, well. I'll say we've reached the very limits of what could be discussed, with our current knowledge of the DV, so I'll concede this argument. That said, a magical ritual to increase your magical power feels kinds screwy to me.

Not your magical power. Something like drawing off a leyline to saturate the local geomancy, ensuring pregnancies carried to term locally have a higher natural affinity.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Being a wizard really takes only Evocation [-3], Thamaturgy [-3], the Sight [-1], Soulgaze [-0], and Wizard's Constitution [-0], making it a [-7] package all in all. We also removed specialties from the game entirely (we felt it was necessary, and though it makes different spellcasters more "same-y," we only have one in the party anyway, and it strongly encourages mixing it up with elements and thaumaturgy types), so, that would be just about the best you can be as a wizard anyway. The heavyweights of wizardkind just have higher skill caps for more Conviction, Discipline, and Lore.

Those Powers will cost you 9 Refresh, though, since you'll lose your Pure Mortal bonus.

Anyway, without specializations and foci I don't think magic is worthwhile. Not powerful enough. (Do you still have foci? It sounds like you don't...)

Our house rules are in an embarrassingly unpresentable and seemingly incomplete state to visitors at the moment, so, no, you could not. My apologies.

Pity.

Thank you...

You're very welcome.

Offline Colette

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Now that I have received some outsiders' perspectives and opinions (which, by the way, I am quite grateful for), I believe now would be a fair time to point out that by "graduates high school at age 12," I mean that my character is currently 12 years and 3 months old.

(click to show/hide)

Does that change anything with regards to her decision? Should she wait until she is older to make the choice? From what my GM has ruled and implied, the younger the choice is made, the more effective the stretching-out of lifespan will be. I am uncertain if it works like that in the actual Dresdenverse.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
...Huh.

Well, how mature do you want to portray her as? Though to be honest, I don't see how age would impact the decision.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
How do you account for the fact that magical potential is determined by bloodline?

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 02:21:05 PM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Colette

• Lurker
    • View Profile
...Huh.

Well, how mature do you want to portray her as? Though to be honest, I don't see how age would impact the decision.

Her Discipline is abnormally high, so I use that as a justification for acting more mature than most preteens, but I have been having her be more emotionally pained by this matter more so than anything else that has ever come before.

As for age, some of my acquaintances have suggested waiting until her twenties to acquire Wizard's Constitution [-0], so as to give her time to think.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
(click to show/hide)

Um, yes, that was what I meant...?  :-\ Though we don't know that Maggie is going to be a wizard.

Offline mithrandirthewhite

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
To quote Neil Young,

"It's better to burn out than to fade away".

Burn your mortal bridges. No one else is saying it, so I will: what makes people special, unique, amazing? It's magic. True magic, the power to transcend mere mortality, the power not to lose your human nature but to redefine it.

Look, everything out there wants to put you in a box. Power source. Food. Toy. And they'll succeed, because where you can scrape the sky, they can rip down the stars around you. That's the hard truth. That's human destiny. Struggle, persevere...get something's attention, die.

Or is that the truth?

Being a wizard doesn't make you less. It makes you more. And the core of that, the core of all that power, is not fire or water or even thaumaturgy. It's self-definition. A wizard isn't some mystic alien that happens to look like a regular person at first. A wizard is a human being who says, human beings are mighty. You're not a power source, you're not food, you're not a toy, and you have the phenomenal cosmic power to back it up. You're right and your brother is wrong: you won't be the little girl who shone like a star rising against a supernatural night.

You will be a woman, a transcendent human being, a queen with a soul in bloom, and you will burn like the sun.

Heh.

As for what i would say with limited understanding of the character and almost none existent understanding of the game, i would say take up the power since it will be another tool for which to use, unless that compromises your character build.
WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Come to think of it, does a wizard still cause hexing? If so, that's probably a good reason not to do it.

Offline Colette

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Come to think of it, does a wizard still cause hexing? If so, that's probably a good reason not to do it.

Our GM subscribes to the theory that hexing is caused by discomfort with technology. Supposedly, wizards who take the effort to keep up with technology, understanding it and accepting it, do not cause hexing at all. This is much easier for wizards born in the Information Age, given the current culture surrounding technology. Wizards who hex can be rehabilitated into a non-hexing state by giving them education on technology and why it is not scary.

Offline amberpup

• Participant
    • View Profile
Her Discipline is abnormally high, so I use that as a justification for acting more mature than most preteens, but I have been having her be more emotionally pained by this matter more so than anything else that has ever come before.

As for age, some of my acquaintances have suggested waiting until her twenties to acquire Wizard's Constitution [-0], so as to give her time to think.

While I haven't read the whole thread, I would have to say.... go for it! You're freaking 12, even if you have a high discipline. Look to Ivy, if you need any hints. I mean, wait till you're twenty.. that's like forever when you're 12. I still remember (and I'm 51) when I was nine, and I was at my grandmother's house and saw my uncle on his way to the bathroom after a late shift and thinking how old he looked..... and he was 27 back then.

Youth is when you make bad decisions, and take risks.

Kids should do dumb things ever once and a while, even if they know better!