Author Topic: Questions for Jim 2012 style 2  (Read 81536 times)

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Questions for Jim 2012 style 2
« Reply #270 on: September 28, 2012, 10:14:29 AM »
And no reason that I can see to think it didn't take over that post, say from a capital-D Dragon or an Old One..

Another interpretation (for me) would be, the White God got to be the boss of the ArchAngels later,
after the humans belived long enough that he is the boss of the Archangels.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 07, 2012, 10:25:26 AM »
Why do the Wardens seem so understocked in homemade foci like equivalents of Harry's duster?

Definitely making more work for myself, I wonder how close I am to having asked enough questions that if you separated mine from the rest, they would take up a whole post?
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 08, 2012, 03:16:33 PM »
Another one I just was reminded of.

When Harry talks about Hendricks being dim, and writes about what he's doing, is that primarily Harry's assumptions coloring how he sees things, or does Hendricks actively play dumb to encourage that sort of thing?

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 09, 2012, 04:05:07 AM »
And ANOTHER one I was reminded of (that may have been answered already)

Are we going to see any stories from Morgan's PoV?  Set a while back, obviously, but I'd love to see him do a Dungeon Crawl on some magical bad guys.  Kick in the door, and apply sword, fire, and boot to ass all up and down the battlemap.

Offline tuttman1234

• Needs A Life
  • King of Glomps *glompsyoujustby readingthisglomp*
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 09, 2012, 07:34:30 AM »
Another one I just was reminded of.

When Harry talks about Hendricks being dim, and writes about what he's doing, is that primarily Harry's assumptions coloring how he sees things, or does Hendricks actively play dumb to encourage that sort of thing?

I think it's more the former. Harry just assumes that Hendricks is a big dumb oaf, and Hendricks sees no reason to dissuade him of that opinion. Probably so that he can take advantage of it if the need arises.
Flower gleam and glow, let your power shine. Make the clock reverse, bring back what once was mine. Heal what has been hurt, change the fates design. Save what once was lost, bring back what once was mine, what once was mine.

For Mdodd. Rest in peace friend.

Drip, Drip, Drop.

Offline ged28

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 10, 2012, 09:38:52 PM »
I was thinking about one of the questions the other day about the third favour owed to MBA and I'm pretty sure I can answer it using Jim Butchers Law. A favour wiped out by becoming the winter knight when he didn't negotiate it with Mab again would be benefit for Harry and would involve no pain later down the line. Therefore he still owes the third favour because it would cause lots of pain to Harry later.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 10, 2012, 10:48:08 PM »
I was thinking about one of the questions the other day about the third favour owed to MBA and I'm pretty sure I can answer it using Jim Butchers Law. A favour wiped out by becoming the winter knight when he didn't negotiate it with Mab again would be benefit for Harry and would involve no pain later down the line. Therefore he still owes the third favour because it would cause lots of pain to Harry later.
  Regardless of whether it was wiped by the bargain I think it would be redundant at this point.  Anything she could have asked him to do as a favor she can ask him to do as the WInter Knight, and then some.  And she has no limit to them now.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline GrandPanjandrum

• Conversationalist
  • I'm schizophrenic.No you're not.Yes he is. Shutup
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 10, 2012, 11:30:55 PM »
  Regardless of whether it was wiped by the bargain I think it would be redundant at this point.  Anything she could have asked him to do as a favor she can ask him to do as the WInter Knight, and then some.  And she has no limit to them now.

Nah...not redundant, because you will recall there was an addendum attached to that third owed favor.  Harry had the right to refuse.  I would think that would eventually become important since that favor precedes his role as Winter Knight...or not.
Disclaimer:  Ate lead paint chips on a regular basis as a child.  Posts reflect degenerative loss of mental acuity.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 10, 2012, 11:38:04 PM »
Nah...not redundant, because you will recall there was an addendum attached to that third owed favor.  Harry had the right to refuse.  I would think that would eventually become important since that favor precedes his role as Winter Knight...or not.
precisely.  And as the knight she outright tell him what to do, so long as it doesnt directly harm his loved-ones.  She gets infinite favors with fewer restrictions.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 11, 2012, 12:52:03 AM »

I suspect that Harry might at some point get out of the Knighthood only to find that favour still waiting to bite him in the behind.

Indeed, I am not entirely convinced that he's been careful enough to rule out getting past Knighthood and favours both and only then discovering that Mab actually counts those favours to pay off the three times he broke his word during SK and he still owes himself to Lea.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 11, 2012, 04:11:21 AM »
I suspect that Harry might at some point get out of the Knighthood only to find that favour still waiting to bite him in the behind.

Indeed, I am not entirely convinced that he's been careful enough to rule out getting past Knighthood and favours both and only then discovering that Mab actually counts those favours to pay off the three times he broke his word during SK and he still owes himself to Lea.
That would be cool, and classic Sidhe trickery.  But whatever he may owe to lea was very explicitly overwritten by the deal he made with mab for the three favors, so as far as I can tell at most she would only be able to claim the one remaining favor. 

If I had to make a guess, Id say shed be better off using that loophole to weedle a martyr deal from molly or thomas, with them thinking they were freeing harry from an obligation that may or may not be applicable at this point.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 11, 2012, 11:12:59 AM »
Was the chant to call He Who Walks Behind in Blood Rites actually in English or was that Lash making it sound like English so that Harry could understand it?

How does He Who Walks Behind speak English? (with a British accent no less)

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 11, 2012, 12:35:37 PM »
Was the chant to call He Who Walks Behind in Blood Rites actually in English or was that Lash making it sound like English so that Harry could understand it?

How does He Who Walks Behind speak English? (with a British accent no less)
We have a demon that wears old man spectacles perched on a beak, and you want to know that?  :P
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 11, 2012, 12:42:22 PM »
We have a demon that wears old man spectacles perched on a beak, and you want to know that?  :P

He at least has access to the known universe and was probably around to watch the language develop (also, glasses are probably ectoplasm constructs to humanise him in the eyes of those who make deals with him), HWWB was trapped outside the the universe in Outside, he would have had precisely zilch chance to learn English (which is a bitch to get right even when you're raised with it).

I'm asking because it's one of the mechanics questions that occasionally bugs me (the other being why things instantly age to death when something stopping their aging is removed, shouldn't they just go back to aging as normal?).

Also, there is very, very low chance of it getting a *singsong voice* "I'm not gonna tell you! I'm not gonna tell you!" answer due to it containing spoilers.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Sheaman3773

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 11, 2012, 01:49:35 PM »
I'm asking because it's one of the mechanics questions that occasionally bugs me (the other being why things instantly age to death when something stopping their aging is removed, shouldn't they just go back to aging as normal?).
Quintus Cassius was more than old enough to have been instantly aged to death, but instead he merely started aging at an extremely accelerated rate. He described it as a balancing effect, the aging process making up for lost time, etc.

I tend to like the explanation that it was all of the entropy that was being held off hitting them all at once, though obviously that argument fails when brand-new immortals react the same way as the ancient ones.
And when Mab thinks your evil plotting has gone too far.  You know you're way way over the line.