Author Topic: Questions for Jim 2012 style 2  (Read 81355 times)

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Questions for Jim 2012 style 2
« Reply #225 on: September 20, 2012, 03:57:35 PM »
Even then Intellectus is not Intellectus.

I would suppose if all Angels and Fallen have Intellectus, their Intellectus would have something to do with their (former) job.
In other words a very limited Intellectus for the 'small' (without an Arch-) ones.

It would not help Lasciel much, to know everything about spiders.

Urield kinda proves otherwise.  In the short story The Warrior, he goes over Harry's actions & the results.  Uriel also explains how Heaven specifically brought Harry into this, possibly because of these desired results.

And in Ghost Story, Uriel similarly touches on this, in how he brought in Harry, to help Molly & get rid of Corpsetaker.

Plus, people seem to be hung up on the fact that Bob can be wrong.  The potential to be wrong isn't the same as constantly being a sourse of corrupted information.  I think in his discussion on the Skinwalker, Harry outlines how Bob is at least generally right.

Also, those people who are doubting Bob's info on the matter, should take a second & ask themselves if they doubt him because they don't like the answer, or because they've got reason (supported by the text) to think something is fishy.  I've run into this myself, but just because you want something to be true, doesn't mean it is.

Otherwise, you're trying to knock a square peg into a solid steel wall.  Which just doesn't work.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 20, 2012, 05:35:37 PM »
Urield kinda proves otherwise.  In the short story The Warrior, he goes over Harry's actions & the results.  Uriel also explains how Heaven specifically brought Harry into this, possibly because of these desired results.
And in Ghost Story, Uriel similarly touches on this, in how he brought in Harry, to help Molly & get rid of Corpsetaker.

These are datapoints for the intellectus capacities of archangels, but do not sfaict lock down what mere angels, Fallen or otherwise, have available in that direction.
Plus, people seem to be hung up on the fact that Bob can be wrong.  The potential to be wrong isn't the same as constantly being a sourse of corrupted information.  I think in his discussion on the Skinwalker, Harry outlines how Bob is at least generally right.

I think Bob's knowledge has some clearly defined limitations that we can reasonably well map from the text and use as metrics for how much he is likely to know on any given subject.  He does not know about Tera West in FM; he's dead wrong about figuring out how the Nightmare got through the threshold, early in GP; more to the point of the current discussion, he is explicitly either unwilling or unable to talk much about matters related to angels and Fallen in DM.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 20, 2012, 05:55:48 PM »
very true.  Matters of faith are so completely alien to what he is that he really has no comprehension of most of it.  That part of why I think there is a whole lot more to Soulfire than what Bob told harry it does
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 20, 2012, 06:54:23 PM »
Even then Intellectus is not Intellectus.

I would suppose if all Angels and Fallen have Intellectus, their Intellectus would have something to do with their (former) job.
In other words a very limited Intellectus for the 'small' (without an Arch-) ones.

It would not help Lasciel much, to know everything about spiders.

Why do you assume that Lasciel's job was related to spiders?
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 20, 2012, 08:06:58 PM »
She is called the Webweaver.

Another question, just an idle curiosity thing mostly,

If Harry had had the presence of mind to throw a Death Curse, would that have caused problems for him re: meeting Jack, and setting the plot of Ghost Story in motion?  Or would it have progressed the same, + changes from the affects of his curse?

Offline Smithdj36

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 20, 2012, 09:57:21 PM »
very true.  Matters of faith are so completely alien to what he is that he really has no comprehension of most of it.  That part of why I think there is a whole lot more to Soulfire than what Bob told harry it does
right you are Quantus right you are
If u failed to read the welcome sign I will remind you of what it says “We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.” Welcome to the Dresdenverse feel free to scream like a girl any time.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN4XU2d4I2c

Offline King Ash

• Posty McPostington
  • Its good to be king!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 20, 2012, 10:55:28 PM »
These are datapoints for the intellectus capacities of archangels, but do not sfaict lock down what mere angels, Fallen or otherwise, have available in that direction.
I think Bob's knowledge has some clearly defined limitations that we can reasonably well map from the text and use as metrics for how much he is likely to know on any given subject.  He does not know about Tera West in FM; he's dead wrong about figuring out how the Nightmare got through the threshold, early in GP; more to the point of the current discussion, he is explicitly either unwilling or unable to talk much about matters related to angels and Fallen in DM.

I got the impression that he didn't want to talk about the fallen, rather than didn't know about them. He seemed rather terrified when Harry described Ursiel's glyph and described the archangels as being too important to not know about. It was the Shroud of Turin that Bob couldn't sense due to faith being 90 degrees from knowledge.
There is only one God and his name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death. Not Today!!!! Syrio Forel, First Sword of Braavos.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 21, 2012, 10:15:08 AM »
She is called the Webweaver.

Another question, just an idle curiosity thing mostly,

If Harry had had the presence of mind to throw a Death Curse, would that have caused problems for him re: meeting Jack, and setting the plot of Ghost Story in motion?  Or would it have progressed the same, + changes from the affects of his curse?

She must have been bored out of her mind in the billions of years spiders didn't exist then.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Smithdj36

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 21, 2012, 11:46:51 AM »
true so her name has to be symbolic. maybe she got it cuz she likes to play tricks (just a thought) ;).
If u failed to read the welcome sign I will remind you of what it says “We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.” Welcome to the Dresdenverse feel free to scream like a girl any time.

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 21, 2012, 12:02:15 PM »
She must have been bored out of her mind in the billions of years spiders didn't exist then.

Depending on when the angels were created.  Non Dresden cannon, but I think it isn't until the rise of Christianity that the Fallen are discussed.  So its possible that The Fall from heaven happened within the period of human existence.

So it might be feasible that Lashiel's creation happened after spiders arose.

Offline Smithdj36

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 21, 2012, 12:14:22 PM »
Depending on when the angels were created.  Non Dresden cannon, but I think it isn't until the rise of Christianity that the Fallen are discussed.  So its possible that The Fall from heaven happened within the period of human existence.

So it might be feasible that Lashiel's creation happened after spiders arose.
cant be  Thorned Namshie said he was tjere when our kind was hewn from the muck ( toward the end of SF before eldest bro gruff got to Demonreach ).

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 21, 2012, 12:56:39 PM »

Indeed, there are traditions in which the existence of humans motivates the Fall, out of jealousy.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 21, 2012, 12:57:54 PM »
cant be  Thorned Namshie said he was tjere when our kind was hewn from the muck ( toward the end of SF before eldest bro gruff got to Demonreach ).

Fallen lie.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 21, 2012, 01:50:34 PM »
Indeed, there are traditions in which the existence of humans motivates the Fall, out of jealousy.
But even in those it happens before the whole Eden/Forbidden-Fruit thing, as the Fallen play a part.  So it couldnt (in a literal interpretation) have been after that.  So sometime on Day 6 or 7
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Sheaman3773

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 21, 2012, 02:00:15 PM »
The faeries have said the exact same sentiment (though different wording) as the Fallen, that of being around long before us puny humans (and, I believe with lower confidence levels, of being around long before anything else). Who's to say whether it all seems true to them, even if it's factually false?

If belief creates deities, then would not TWG have come into being believing the beliefs about him were true? Would not perforce the Angels, Fallen or not, also believe the same thing?
And when Mab thinks your evil plotting has gone too far.  You know you're way way over the line.