Author Topic: Questions for Jim 2012 style 2  (Read 81372 times)

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Questions for Jim 2012 style 2
« Reply #195 on: August 23, 2012, 01:54:44 AM »
When did Susan leave everyone else?  Did she break off during the fight with Arianna, or was it afterwards?  I can't find any clear citation that indicates she's with everyone else, after the point where Harry agrees to fight Arianna.

Offline cass

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 24, 2012, 12:53:58 AM »
Jim actually answered this one already, years ago. It could be hard to find on the forum for that reason, I haven't checked. Anyway, the answer is, Ivy retains spoken words when they are intended to be a form of recorded information; that is, the oral traditions of teaching from times before writing was convenient, or spoken epics, memorized stories like fables, stuff like that. When the words being spoken are intended to be stored in the listener's memory, basically, as written words are intended to be stored on the pages of books.

I'd hazard a guess that she also gets the occasional seminar or lecture as well. (And, gack! All the awful, awful presentation slides. In addition to the greater horror that is the internet.)

Wait-a-minute.....
Ivy is *how* old? (~4, as of SF.)  And we think SF is approximately the year 2000?
When did the internet start to explode in popularity?
Circa 1996 as the year(s) of the previous Archives' demises is looking very suspicious.

To make it an Official Question:
Did the rise of the Internet play a role in Ivy's mother's craziness?

Offline xakko

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 24, 2012, 02:30:12 AM »
How much of a threshold did Anna Ash have in her apartment?  She lived alone, and yet her threshold did quite the number on Harry's power.  Back in SK, Elaine entered Harry's apartment and easily lit the fire and then, later, put up a veil she knew would hide her from Morgan and another warden, while still inside.  I don't recall her ever getting the invite from Harry, so she had to have left some power at the door, hadn't she?

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 24, 2012, 03:03:02 AM »
How much of a threshold did Anna Ash have in her apartment?  She lived alone, and yet her threshold did quite the number on Harry's power.  Back in SK, Elaine entered Harry's apartment and easily lit the fire and then, later, put up a veil she knew would hide her from Morgan and another warden, while still inside.  I don't recall her ever getting the invite from Harry, so she had to have left some power at the door, hadn't she?
She didnt veil until right when she was leaving, and he was holding the door for her.  So possibilities are that either she was already past the threshold and just not in view of the street, or that there was an implied invitation at some point during the conversation.  But its a good clarification to ask, Im curious if such implications are enough to constitute the invitation or if they need to be spoken directly.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 24, 2012, 07:42:01 AM »
Did Harry ever actually lift his wards in Small Favor, when he was half-frozen after returning from the train station? It was just assumed that he had, but the description of that scene in the book never mentioned anything about him doing it. His brain was so frozen that all he thought about was that Luccio wanted inside his apartment, so he opened the door for her like a gentleman. But he never mentions his wards, which seemed odd, since everyone around him was clearly trying to remind him of the wards and asking him to take them down so they could get in.

Anyway, I was just wondering if something unusual happened there and we were never quite shown what it was.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 24, 2012, 10:52:46 AM »
Did Harry ever actually lift his wards in Small Favor, when he was half-frozen after returning from the train station? It was just assumed that he had, but the description of that scene in the book never mentioned anything about him doing it. His brain was so frozen that all he thought about was that Luccio wanted inside his apartment, so he opened the door for her like a gentleman. But he never mentions his wards, which seemed odd, since everyone around him was clearly trying to remind him of the wards and asking him to take them down so they could get in.

Anyway, I was just wondering if something unusual happened there and we were never quite shown what it was.

Personally, I don't understand why Harry sets up his wards so he actively has to take them down.  Thomas & Murphy both have a amulet that lets them take them down for their passage.  Harry has to actively work magics, and on at least 3 occasions this has somewhat complicated things (The Warrior, Dead Beat, & Small Favor).

You'd think he'd have tried to work something that would make it less complicated for his own passage.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 24, 2012, 12:12:35 PM »
Personally, I don't understand why Harry sets up his wards so he actively has to take them down.  Thomas & Murphy both have a amulet that lets them take them down for their passage.  Harry has to actively work magics, and on at least 3 occasions this has somewhat complicated things (The Warrior, Dead Beat, & Small Favor).

You'd think he'd have tried to work something that would make it less complicated for his own passage.
I get the sense that the talismans are somehow more limited.  When he took Molly on he gave her one specifically as a temporary measure until she was able tot take them down on her own. Granted that may have been more about the learning exercise than anything else.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline wyltok

• Posty McPostington
  • With Great Power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 24, 2012, 12:37:56 PM »
Paranoid Harry is paranoid. He doesn't want someone to grab him and use his bound-and-gagged/unconscious body to get through the wards in his house. If he could teach Thomas and Murphy how to open the wards instead of giving them talismans, he'd probably do so (except maybe Murphy, due to what he explained in Last Call).

That he willingly gives them those talismans is as much proof of his trust in them as proof of his trust in their ability to take care of themselves.
Every time you do something, somebody says: "(gasp!) That has this implication and this implication and that implication!" and you go like: "No, what I really meant was, the curtains were blue."
- Jim Butcher at Space City Con, 2013

Offline dpara

• Conversationalist
  • clear and concise reasoning. sharkslap!
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 24, 2012, 01:31:21 PM »
Is there something left of Sanyas I-was-a-Denarian package? (like Harrys, languages, guitar++..better liar)

Can Harry build a working little Chicago on Demonreach?

Didn't Harry get the improved strength package with the WK mantle, so shouldn't his degenerated muscles still be able to lift his body weight?

Will Anna Valmont reappear (someone that hit Harry that often on the head.. has to be a recurring character^^)?
SH[Mavra---- Molly- Lash+ Elaine+ Murphy++]

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 24, 2012, 03:04:23 PM »
Is there something left of Sanyas I-was-a-Denarian package? (like Harrys, languages, guitar++..better liar)

I doubt Magog was nice enough to leave any goodbye gifts.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 24, 2012, 07:19:38 PM »
I doubt Magog was nice enough to leave any goodbye gifts.

Technically, even Lasciel wasn't nice enough to leave any goodbye gifts.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline cass

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 24, 2012, 08:13:48 PM »
Technically, even Lasciel wasn't nice enough to leave any goodbye gifts.

I'm not sure "nice" would factor into it at all, though.  I envision a sort of really low-powered "demo" version of whatever ability the Denariian left behind.  Kind of like a constant reminder of what the former Host could have, if he only took the Coin back up.  (It occurs to me that someone with the inner strength to reject a Coin after having taken one up would also have the fortitude not to use anything left behind...but it also seems very out of character for a Denariian not to continue to tempt if it possibly could.)

Offline xakko

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 06, 2012, 01:44:34 AM »
Something that's been striking me during my current "listen through" at work - Is Jim putting Harry and Molly on opposite sides of minor (but often heated) issues?

1. Star Trek (Molly) vs Star Wars (Harry) - Ghost Story
2. McDonalds (Molly) vs Burger King (Harry) - Small Favor  Molly and Thomas vote, Harry overrides.
3. DC Comics (Superman shirt - Molly) ("Last Call") vs. Marvel Comics (Harry) (almost always)
4. Pepsi (Molly) ("Last Call") vs Coke (Harry) (always)  - Harry calls her a heathen.
5. Careful reading of a paperback to not crease the spine (Molly) vs. dog-eared, well loved books (Harry) (Turn Coat)  Harry calls her a wuss.

not to mention the younger/older, blonde/brunette, delicate magic/brute force magic, always changing vs. stuck in a routine...

Offline stevem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 06, 2012, 02:16:41 AM »
Something that's been striking me during my current "listen through" at work - Is Jim putting Harry and Molly on opposite sides of minor (but often heated) issues?

1. Star Trek (Molly) vs Star Wars (Harry) - Ghost Story
2. McDonalds (Molly) vs Burger King (Harry) - Small Favor  Molly and Thomas vote, Harry overrides.
3. DC Comics (Superman shirt - Molly) ("Last Call") vs. Marvel Comics (Harry) (almost always)
4. Pepsi (Molly) ("Last Call") vs Coke (Harry) (always)  - Harry calls her a heathen.
5. Careful reading of a paperback to not crease the spine (Molly) vs. dog-eared, well loved books (Harry) (Turn Coat)  Harry calls her a wuss.

not to mention the younger/older, blonde/brunette, delicate magic/brute force magic, always changing vs. stuck in a routine...

That's all the evidence I need.  Molly is doomed to villiany.
“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!” - Benjamin Franklin

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 06, 2012, 04:02:08 AM »
Molly's a zombie!  Since Harry is alive (again)