Author Topic: Questions for Jim 2012 style 2  (Read 80756 times)

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Questions for Jim 2012 style 2
« Reply #150 on: August 06, 2012, 04:52:50 PM »
Hellfire twisted harry like bad magic. That's why he started getting rage problems when he was using it. At least, that's what I've always assumed the side effect was

That was Lash screwing with his subconscious.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Brightbane

• Conversationalist
  • Totally obscene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 06, 2012, 04:54:31 PM »
Are you sure? Because it seemed to get extremely overwhelming when he was actually using it. He never flew into a lusting for death rage unless he had hellfire running through his system
Bob started tittering. "Look out! Look out for that vicious mega-squirrel, boss!" He said, hardly able to speak clearly. "My gosh! that ficus is about to molest you!"

Offline magnusth

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 06, 2012, 07:17:49 PM »
Are you sure? Because it seemed to get extremely overwhelming when he was actually using it. He never flew into a lusting for death rage unless he had hellfire running through his system
Didn't he have a passage about how he'd love to kill Trixie Vixen and how he was nanoseconds away from killing her in BR when all he'd done was throw coffe at her and beat her physicaly?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 08:10:41 PM by magnusth »

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 06, 2012, 07:21:26 PM »
I suspect some of what Harry says in regard to Trixie Vixen is hyperbole, though I didn't reread that section.  Also, she made her appearance in Blood Rites, not Proven Guilty.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline magnusth

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 06, 2012, 08:11:00 PM »
I suspect some of what Harry says in regard to Trixie Vixen is hyperbole, though I didn't reread that section.  Also, she made her appearance in Blood Rites, not Proven Guilty.
of  course she did. why would anyone say anything else?

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 06, 2012, 08:17:01 PM »
Hmmm, I wonder if that was literal...  I mean, the inner guy seems to be that kind of asshole, and lash seemed all for it  ???
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 07, 2012, 01:46:30 AM »
Hmmm, I wonder if that was literal...  I mean, the inner guy seems to be that kind of asshole, and lash seemed all for it  ???

He seemed in favour of the idea as well, it may well have happened. ;D
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 07, 2012, 01:56:44 PM »
I just read "Day Off" again, and it made me think of this one: Will we ever see a D&D game with Butters as the GM, and Billy, Georgia, Andi, Marci, and Harry all playing again?

Now that Butters has Bob, could Bob get a character going? Since Bob is basically kind of a living idea himself, he might have a lot of fun in a game like that.

Molly might like it, too. Judging by her association with SplatterCon!!! and her love of Star Wars/Star Trek, she's kind of a geek herself. I could see her getting into a tabletop game like that. Even her brother Daniel might like it. God knows, he needs to loosen up.

I'm tempted to suggest everyone in the JLC, but Murphy's never really seemed like the type to have gaming as a hobby. She's seems more like her hobbies would include practicing the various ways of shooting, stabbing, or otherwise beating people into submission. As for Abby and Father Forthill-- no clue what they might be willing to try.

If we do get to see that, could we get a whole chapter or two on it? I'd love to see all of them doing something like that together, so we'd get a chance to see them interacting more when they're not in the middle of a serious, life-or-death discussion.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 07, 2012, 06:59:18 PM »
Not sure if this has been asked yet but...

Was Harry's Listening supposed to get more screen time than it ended up getting, or is that a Chekov's Gun waiting to fire?

Offline cass

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 08, 2012, 05:08:05 AM »
Dusting off a very old set of questions:  who signs the Accords for a group or coalition like the Red Court or the White Council?  If an individual signs on behalf of the whole, what happens when that individual dies or is otherwise no longer associated with that group? 

Is such a signature binding in the same way as swearing on one's power is binding*, or is it merely the certainty that Mab (or whoever is enforcing that particular version of the Accords) will ensure that Accords breakers die that keeps the peace?

*Related to this, is this part of what Peabody was doing with requiring all those forms and signatures prior to TC?  (I mean, on top of the whole mind-control ink.)

Other questions that might be answered, if asked:
Are the specific duties of each Sidhe Queen within her Court clearly defined or separated?  If so, how are they divided?

Will Harry learn to communicate with Mouse as clearly as he was able to while transformed into a hound?  Can Mouse and Mister communicate that clearly?

Does the name of each Denariian have significance w/r/t the form or powers it has when it manifests?  (e.g. Lasciel shares a root with lascivious, Ursiel was bear-like....but I have yet to find a good root for e.g. Urumviel or Anduriel) 

If the "-iel" is as important as implied in GS (I believe it's the "of God" part....) why have the Denariians not sought to get mortals to rename them?  (And, oh dear, what did Harry do by truncating/naming Lasciel's shadow "Lash"?)

Do the Venators know about the Archive?  If they do, is she a target?

Is the information that Ivy has about the Denariians largely the kind that she 'literally cannot let out of her head' or is it the kind that she chooses not to release as a sort of non-aggression pact?

When and how did Lord Raith acquire his protection?

Have we been Kenobie'd ("From a certain point of view.....") about the identity of any characters?  (I very deliberately would refrain from asking "Who?"-- that would certainly not be answered.)

Just for fun, some questions that are probably not important:

Will we see more of Harry's parents?
What happened in Istanbul that Eb and Kincaid are still feuding about?
How much of the battle at CI (and its immediate aftermath) does Maggie remember?

When Eb caused the eruption of Krakatoa (or the New Madrid quake), did he supply all the power released in those events, or did he simply cause stored power to be released? 

What do other wizards do for hot water?  For employment/monetary support?
Who mentored/trained Carlos?  Is he/she still alive?
If Odin is still kicking around and active, where are the Jotuns?
How far above (or below) a magic circle does the barrier extend?  Is it a column?  A dome? 

Last, for discussion, there was a WoJ in response to a post by kmosiman (linked here: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,11471.msg494046.html#msg494046)

Demonreach may not be friendly to humans but he is not violent to others. All the animals on the Island are welcome and make their homes there. While he may have a dark nature, nothing on the Island is corrupt or foul.

Two of these three sentences are precisely, absolutely correct.  One of them is lethally half-right. :)

We've had relatively little new info on Demonreach since that was posted, but I'd like to formulate a question that would help nail down the little logic problem he gave us.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 08, 2012, 01:28:34 PM »
This is something from another thread that we just cant seem to solve:

In TC, was the Eye-twitching trance the Gatekeeper used a precognition effect, and if so why could it not see that harry had made the Sanctum bond until Harry was actually touching the island? 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 08, 2012, 01:57:50 PM »
This is something from another thread that we just cant seem to solve:

In TC, was the Eye-twitching trance the Gatekeeper used a precognition effect, and if so why could it not see that harry had made the Sanctum bond until Harry was actually touching the island?

I realize this is meant for Jim, but I thought I might be able to help a little. The Gatekeeper pretty much had to be using precognition during the eye-twitching, didn't he? The context clearly seems to indicate this. I don't know if we can call what he did a "trance," though-- he mostly just seemed to be occupied by an activity, one which was taking place in his mind. That's not necessarily to say that he was unaware of his surroundings, though.

As for the other question-- it seems like the Gatekeeper's precog ability must be limited to projecting the future based on the exact situation the world is in right then. Before the Gatekeeper did his scrying trick, Harry wasn't connected to Demonreach's intellectus. But when Harry stepped onto the island, he gained that ability, which apparently changed the range of projected futures which Rashid was able to perceive. Just a guess, anyway.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 08, 2012, 02:59:27 PM »
I realize this is meant for Jim, but I thought I might be able to help a little. The Gatekeeper pretty much had to be using precognition during the eye-twitching, didn't he? The context clearly seems to indicate this. I don't know if we can call what he did a "trance," though-- he mostly just seemed to be occupied by an activity, one which was taking place in his mind. That's not necessarily to say that he was unaware of his surroundings, though.

As for the other question-- it seems like the Gatekeeper's precog ability must be limited to projecting the future based on the exact situation the world is in right then. Before the Gatekeeper did his scrying trick, Harry wasn't connected to Demonreach's intellectus. But when Harry stepped onto the island, he gained that ability, which apparently changed the range of projected futures which Rashid was able to perceive. Just a guess, anyway.
Hop on over (http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,33398.0.html), we are discussing this one in depth, but cant seem to find a good answer.  I dont want hold things up by rehashing all the arguments here.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 08, 2012, 03:12:14 PM »
More questions for the list:

- What ever happened to Siriothrax's hoard?

- You have stated that "the hardest part of writing a book is the first sentence".  Have you written the first line of the BAT, and are you willing to share it?

- Given Toot-Toot's growth over the series, will there ever be a book called "Pizza Court"? 

- How about "Back Lash"?

- The uber-ghouls in the Deeps.  Were they reconstituting because they had Wolverine-level healing, or was it because Cowl cast a "ward off death" spell on them to keep them alive while their (lesser) natural healing abilities kicked in?

- How far up do magic circles go?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 03:26:16 PM by knnn »
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 08, 2012, 03:25:32 PM »
Can an entity with intellectus deliberately refrain from obtaining an answer on a subject of interest (eg, in order to be able to truthfully say it does not know as part of misleading someone) or does just thinking about the subject cause the information to appear ?
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.