Author Topic: Questions for Jim 2012 style 2  (Read 81674 times)

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Questions for Jim 2012 style 2
« Reply #315 on: October 22, 2012, 11:09:56 PM »
I think its implied that the Disciples of Kemmler employed divination & were reading entrails, if I'm not mistaken.

That's probably it.

I have, i think, argued for the release of the Word as an elaborate long con dating back to GP enough already without cluttering this thread with it; if you've not seen that notion of mine, PM me and I'll send you a precis.

Sure, I've only seen bits of it.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 23, 2012, 01:13:31 PM »
Those are essentially the same activities.

Since when are trying to move something and trying to stop something moving the same activity?

He is just listing examples, which to me does not obligate any sort of hard and fast list tied to elemental affinity.

Fine then, general tendencies of how it manifests (i.e. what generally happens when electricity users draw in power?).

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 23, 2012, 01:14:59 PM »
Since when are trying to move something and trying to stop something moving the same activity?

Since Isaac Newton ?
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 23, 2012, 01:18:40 PM »
Since Isaac Newton ?

And this is where not having a universal curriculum hurts, none of the schools I went to taught Newton at the times when I was there.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 24, 2012, 02:02:34 AM »
Is Joe the janitor at the train station in Small Favor actually just a janitor, or is he, like Uriel, an angel in disguise?

And if so, is he Autobot or Decepticon?

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 24, 2012, 12:18:02 PM »
Who and/or what were Elaine's parents?  Was one or both on the White Council?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 24, 2012, 12:22:41 PM »
Who and/or what were Elaine's parents?  Was one or both on the White Council?

Judging by how he's evaded the topic before, it will probably be answered in series.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 24, 2012, 12:33:35 PM »
Judging by how he's evaded the topic before, it will probably be answered in series.
Ah, kk.  I didnt know he had been asked that before
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline cmprostreet

• Participant
  • Klaus the Toymaker's Business Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 24, 2012, 02:32:13 PM »
I asked him at the NYC signing last year about Elaine's parents- if we would find out who they were, and whether the timing of her birth was, like Harry's, intentional.  I got the sing-song "I'm not gonna tell you!" response.

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 01, 2012, 01:17:54 AM »
{Raises fist.}

Represent.

If it comes to a vote, this thread gets my vote for the official thread that we ask questions that might never see answers to. 

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 01, 2012, 07:56:52 AM »
{Raises fist.}

Represent.

If it comes to a vote, this thread gets my vote for the official thread that we ask questions that might never see answers to.

*High-fives KevinSig*

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 14, 2012, 11:22:27 AM »
Is Joe the janitor at the train station in Small Favor actually just a janitor, or is he, like Uriel, an angel in disguise?

I think he actually was Uriel in disguise, judging from the way Michael watched Joe, and then seemed to start talking to Harry again afterwards, breaking the general silence which had been hanging between them during the trip. I read it as Michael getting a subtle confirmation from his Bosses that Harry hadn't gone over to the Dark Side just yet.

Joe could've been any angel, of course, but Uriel's the one who seems to have taken a special interest in Harry, and he did show up at the hospital in an identical disguise later on in that same book.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 15, 2012, 07:07:07 PM »
Questions for the upcoming Q&As:

From me:

1) Angels are apparently all soul. So:
   1a) Can angels be soulgazed?
   1b) Can the Fallen in the Denarii be soulgazed through the second pair of eyes which    sometimes show up on the foreheads of the Denarians? And, if so:
   1c) Will the soulgaze be different than the one you would see if you simply soulgazed the    Fallen's Denarian host?

2) Would you(Jim) please clarify exactly who the Faerie Queens can personally kill and who they can't? At various times in Summer Knight and in the rest of the series, we've been told or seen evidence that:

-- The Sidhe Knights are the only ones allowed to act in matters not directly related to the Faerie Courts. (SK, Ch. 10)
-- The Queens are not allowed to kill anyone who isn't a member of their own Court. (SK, Ch. 10)

And yet:

-- We've seen fae servants of the Faerie Queens kill and attempt to kill mortals many times.
-- Aurora was able to try to kill Harry just fine, but was unable to harm Murphy. (SK, Ch. 20-21)
-- When Harry is preparing to deal with Mab to become the Winter Knight, he thinks to himself that Mab can't kill a mortal, only make them wish they were dead. The implication seems to include the Winter Knight. (Changes, Ch. 30)

So which mortals can the Faerie Queens kill? Bob tells us one thing, but evidence in the books indicates something else.

3) Can Changelings be soulgazed?

4) Since Lash is apparently some sort of spirit-being, can she take on a physical-seeming form while she's in the spirit world, the way ghosts can?

Questions From Other People (from a more-or-less identical thread I made last year, which, alas, came too late):

Vairelome:

From one of the recent threads concerning Maggie, there was some discussion about her official last name right now (post GS, staying with the Carpenters).

So: "What is Maggie's official last name right now?" and if clarification is needed, "Under what last name is she registered at the local elementary school (assuming that's where she's placed)?"

Karley:

1) How and when did Harry and Michael meet? Would you consider writing a short story about their first encounter?
2) How long has Arthur Langtry been the Merlin?
3) How does one become the Merlin? [ Already answered. ]
4) Is the Winter Lady Maeve the same person as or was she some way involved with the old Irish Queen Maeve of Connacht?
5) If Harry ever does put his full effort into universe-hopping, can you make him go to Discworld?
6) What are the names of the other three minor vampire courts?
7) How did Justin DuMorne find out about Harry?
8 ) When did the old Mother Summer retire and why won't Mother Winter retire?
9) How old is the Gatekeeper?
10) How did the White Council annex the New World shamans and what were the reaction of the Natives?

Eleyctra:

Is it significant that the eyes of Lea changed from gold in the earlier books, to green in Changes? Is Mab controlling Lea more than we think?

neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh:

I have a bunch of questions in the relevant thread, but only one of them got asked, I'd want it to be whether Talos is still alive after the end of SK, because that is one that for some reason irrationally nags at me and seems unlikely to connect to anything that would lead to an "I'm not going to tell you".

I'd also really like to know
1) When was Kemmler's last stand, 1961 as per DB or WWII as per GS ?
2) If Harry had known about Lea's bargain with Maggie, could he have just demanded her help against Justin instead of selling himself for it and:
2b) if the answer to 2) is yes, is Harry ever going to find/figure this out ?

but I suspect that 2) might well get an "I'm not going to tell you", and there have been rumblings that some of the apparent series inconsistencies are part of a larger plan so 1) might as well.  Indeed, I can see 2) being resolved in CD.

Second Aristh:

The question I'd enjoy having an answer to the most at the moment is

Do all faeries have a weakness to iron and if so, has it always been that way or is it more like wizards and murphyonic fields?  What is considered iron/cold iron (i.e. is it the amount of iron that matters or some sort of metahysical signifigance)?
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline lunyboy

• Conversationalist
  • Lunatic Fringe
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #328 on: November 15, 2012, 07:10:35 PM »
Do all of Harry's Soulgazes reset after his soul holiday? If so, will we ever hear about what it was like before vs. after?
"...I am a cruel and vengeful god." - Jim Butcher

Offline tuttman1234

• Needs A Life
  • King of Glomps *glompsyoujustby readingthisglomp*
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 15, 2012, 07:15:04 PM »
Questions for the upcoming Q&As:

From me:

2) Would you(Jim) please clarify exactly who the Faerie Queens can personally kill and who they can't? At various times in Summer Knight and in the rest of the series, we've been told or seen evidence that:

-- The Sidhe Knights are the only ones allowed to act in matters not directly related to the Faerie Courts. (SK, Ch. 10)
-- The Queens are not allowed to kill anyone who isn't a member of their own Court. (SK, Ch. 10)

And yet:

-- We've seen fae servants of the Faerie Queens kill and attempt to kill mortals many times.
-- Aurora was able to try to kill Harry just fine, but was unable to harm Murphy. (SK, Ch. 20-21)
-- When Harry is preparing to deal with Mab to become the Winter Knight, he thinks to himself that Mab can't kill a mortal, only make them wish they were dead. The implication seems to include the Winter Knight. (Changes, Ch. 30)

So which mortals can the Faerie Queens kill? Bob tells us one thing, but evidence in the books indicates something else.

Actually, Harry answers that in SK. He states that he can be attacked because he was acting as Winter's emisarry, and so was considered as part of the Winter Court for that time. The Fae Queens, as I understand it, can kill anything that falls under their court. And remember that fae servants are not the same thing as the fae themselves. That's why Mauve was so upset with Billy and the Alphas when they took out the huntress, and tried to get back at them via Jenny in Something Borrowed. And the other times we've seen the fae try to hurt someone, they always start off by trying to get them under some kind of obligation, because that would that person up to their influence.

Just my two cents, anyway.

Flower gleam and glow, let your power shine. Make the clock reverse, bring back what once was mine. Heal what has been hurt, change the fates design. Save what once was lost, bring back what once was mine, what once was mine.

For Mdodd. Rest in peace friend.

Drip, Drip, Drop.