Author Topic: Questions for Jim 2012 style 2  (Read 81715 times)

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Questions for Jim 2012 style 2
« Reply #300 on: October 18, 2012, 08:25:18 AM »
My explanation for Cassius fast aging is, Cassius is wrong/lying not because of "father time's due" but because the Fallen are jerks. If I were them I would give the eternal youth package, but just in case they get separated let's also add 100 year old internal organs.

We also see it happening with the Red Court so it can't just be the Fallen?
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline dpara

• Conversationalist
  • clear and concise reasoning. sharkslap!
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 18, 2012, 08:35:35 AM »
I don't think my theory works on the Red Court. I am more inclined to believe that the Red Court aging was a side effect of the ritual, the older you were the more nasty-juice/radiation-juice you got pumped through you when the ritual completed. Some leeway is probably allowed, mostly because the ritual had inconsistencies (since Bob only had 10 seconds to explain it^^?).
SH[Mavra---- Molly- Lash+ Elaine+ Murphy++]

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 18, 2012, 11:01:08 AM »
I think if the entity giving you youth had done a good job you should just age normally after it stops helping you. Sudden aging points to a sloppy job. Magical effects that break down in stead of really changing the body.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 22, 2012, 02:08:52 PM »
How many people died because of the events of Dead Beat (the hex and people's reactions, the Wild Hunt, the Necromancers and their zombies running around)?

How did the Necromancers find out about the Word? Corpsetaker's Anthropomancy?

Quote from: Dead Beat, Chapter 17, Page 191-192
This was a kind of power I hadn't felt before. Normally when someone who can sling major mojo around draws their stuff up around them, it's something violent and active. I'd seen wizards who charged the air around them with so much electricity it made their hair stand on end, wizards whose power would gather light into nearly solid gem-shaped clouds that orbited around them, wizards whose mastery of earth magic literally made the ground shake, wizards who could shroud themselves in dark fire that burned anyone near them with the raw, emotional rage of their magic.

Here we see a few examples of what happens when wizards skilled in particular areas draw in power, can we get a comprehensive list for what happens for wizards of each specialty draw in power?

I should really stop posting in this thread whenever a new question comes to mind, I'm making too much work for myself.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 22, 2012, 02:16:17 PM »
Here we see a few examples of what happens when wizards skilled in particular areas draw in power, can we get a comprehensive list for what happens for wizards of each specialty draw in power?
I doubt its a specific list so much as individual effects for each wizard.  In SmF for example, Harry gets glowing white eyes and sparks of green lightning all over his body.  A heat shimmer isnt out of the question either, though there wasnt anything visual for it in the description
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 22, 2012, 02:17:58 PM »
I doubt its a specific list so much as individual effects for each wizard.  In SmF for example, Harry gets glowing white eyes and sparks of green lightning all over his body.  A heat shimmer isnt out of the question either, though there wasnt anything visual for it in the description

Harry's comment kinda makes it sound like a consistent "you get X effect depending on affinity" thing. And that wasn't drawing in power with skill in SmF, that was desperately trying to hold in power.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 22, 2012, 02:23:32 PM »
Harry's comment kinda makes it sound like a consistent "you get X effect depending on affinity" thing.
He is just listing examples, which to me does not obligate any sort of hard and fast list tied to elemental affinity.  However, in many cases he has stressed how everybody's magic is different, is used and expressed differently, etc.  So it would suprise me greatly if there wasnt the same sort of variation in the visual displays of it. 
And that wasn't drawing in power with skill in SmF, that was desperately trying to hold in power.
Those are essentially the same activities.  The only difference there is that he hung onto it long enough to actually take notice of the effects, rather than immediately flushing the power into a spell and describing those effects.  We know that there is a noticeable effect around harry, because he has noted other people's response to it, however that is the only instance where he pauses long enough to notice the effects.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 02:48:29 PM by Quantus »
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 22, 2012, 02:28:33 PM »
How did the Necromancers find out about the Word? Corpsetaker's Anthropomancy?

Considering the way that supposed anthropomancy does not ever get mentioned again, I'm inclined to read it as quite possibly Harry misreading the consequences of a ghoul with a taste for organ means being peckish.

As for the Word, I had the impression Bony Tony was spreading word of it to sell to the highest bidder.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 22, 2012, 02:39:29 PM »
Considering the way that supposed anthropomancy does not ever get mentioned again, I'm inclined to read it as quite possibly Harry misreading the consequences of a ghoul with a taste for organ means being peckish.

As for the Word, I had the impression Bony Tony was spreading word of it to sell to the highest bidder.

He's almost certainly seen the aftermath of Ghoul's eating habits (hell, he's probably seen it dozens of times) before and he thought it different, and he could sense the powerful magic used, it wasn't just a supernatural creature eating someone.

I was talking more about how they knew that it would be released in Chicago years in advance, and "those times we disemboweled people for information coughed up the location of the Word" is a lot simpler than the other theories I've heard.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 22, 2012, 02:55:42 PM »
I was talking more about how they knew that it would be released in Chicago years in advance, and "those times we disemboweled people for information coughed up the location of the Word" is a lot simpler than the other theories I've heard.
Im not sure what you mean by "Knew it would be released in Chicago years in Advance" since it was found in a storage locker from WW2, which I had generally assumed was elsewhere, likely Europe, and not in Chicago proper.  But the Kemmlerites knew about the Word because the theif, Mendoza, approached Grevaine about it, then got nervous when he seemed to have access to unnatural resources.  Says so right in the book, when Marcone is handing out background.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 22, 2012, 03:01:01 PM »
Im not sure what you mean by "Knew it would be released in Chicago years in Advance" since it was found in a storage locker from WW2, which I had generally assumed was elsewhere, likely Europe, and not in Chicago proper.  But the Kemmlerites knew about the Word because the theif, Mendoza, approached Grevaine about it, then got nervous when he seemed to have access to unnatural resources.  Says so right in the book, when Marcone is handing out background.

They had the Native American artifact exhibition set to arrive at the same time as the word was released, and from the sounds of things, Corpsetaker was with the group for years setting it up to arrive at the right time.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 22, 2012, 03:16:29 PM »
They had the Native American artifact exhibition set to arrive at the same time as the word was released, and from the sounds of things, Corpsetaker was with the group for years setting it up to arrive at the right time.
Was corpsetaker herself, or just the body she chose for its convenient access?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 22, 2012, 03:23:28 PM »
Was corpsetaker herself, or just the body she chose for its convenient access?

It's one hell of a coincidence if Corpsetaker wasn't setting it up in advance, and the personality anecdotes about Bartlesby do sound a lot like how Corpsetaker would probably act if forced to go undercover for a while.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 22, 2012, 04:18:24 PM »

I think its implied that the Disciples of Kemmler employed divination & were reading entrails, if I'm not mistaken.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 22, 2012, 09:08:12 PM »

I have, i think, argued for the release of the Word as an elaborate long con dating back to GP enough already without cluttering this thread with it; if you've not seen that notion of mine, PM me and I'll send you a precis.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.