Author Topic: Questions for Jim 2012 style 2  (Read 81683 times)

Offline cass

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Questions for Jim 2012 style 2
« Reply #165 on: August 08, 2012, 04:10:24 PM »
Can an entity with intellectus deliberately refrain from obtaining an answer on a subject of interest (eg, in order to be able to truthfully say it does not know as part of misleading someone) or does just thinking about the subject cause the information to appear ?

Perhaps an answer like, "I hadn't considered it" would be a good hedge?  That's truthful without giving away information.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 08, 2012, 04:55:59 PM »
Perhaps an answer like, "I hadn't considered it" would be a good hedge?  That's truthful without giving away information.

There was an argument a couple of weeks back in which someone mentioned thinking of intellectus as meaning that if the topic ever crossed one's mind, one couldn't not have the answers; that interpretation had never occurred to me, but I can't think of anything in the text to rule it out, hence the question.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 08, 2012, 05:26:12 PM »
There was an argument a couple of weeks back in which someone mentioned thinking of intellectus as meaning that if the topic ever crossed one's mind, one couldn't not have the answers; that interpretation had never occurred to me, but I can't think of anything in the text to rule it out, hence the question.
Thats an interesting Idea.   There are some limitations to Intellects that we've seen, like how harry could not identify the traitor while he was standing on the island, or when he could not get a specific lock on Binder, because Demonreach was having difficulty distinguishing such things.  But that seems like a more specific limitation to Demonreach's completely alien perspective, something that wouldnt necessarily apply to Angels or the Mothers, for example.

There is the WOJ about Shagnasty's intellectus that says he knew the What intuitively, without knowing the greater context of the Why.  But again, that is a specific a limited intellectus.

For the Question, you may need to specify which beings (or class of) you are referring to...
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 08, 2012, 09:33:11 PM »
Last, for discussion, there was a WoJ in response to a post by kmosiman (linked here: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,11471.msg494046.html#msg494046)

Demonreach may not be friendly to humans but he is not violent to others. All the animals on the Island are welcome and make their homes there. While he may have a dark nature, nothing on the Island is corrupt or foul.

Two of these three sentences are precisely, absolutely correct.  One of them is lethally half-right. :)

We've had relatively little new info on Demonreach since that was posted, but I'd like to formulate a question that would help nail down the little logic problem he gave us.

I might be wrong, but I've guessed that the leathally half right part might be about under the island.  That dark Ley line likely comes from something both dark & foul, but under the island is different than on the island, hence being half right.

Offline cass

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 09, 2012, 12:12:31 AM »
We've had relatively little new info on Demonreach since that was posted, but I'd like to formulate a question that would help nail down the little logic problem he gave us.

I might be wrong, but I've guessed that the leathally half right part might be about under the island.  That dark Ley line likely comes from something both dark & foul, but under the island is different than on the island, hence being half right.

Hmm.  I never considered the potential of a preposition being the problematical word.  I thought that those statements broke down nicely into two parts each: "not friendly to humans" and "not violent to others", "All animals on the island are welcome" and "[all animals on the island] make their homes there" and then  "nothing on the island is corrupt" and "nothing on the island is foul"-- and that the problem was then in determining which one of the six statements was wrong. 

I agree that the 'corrupt and foul' statement is the one most likely to contain the lethally wrong portion, though for all we know, someone will die because a chipmunk decided to commute into the NN to make its burrow.

Offline cass

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 09, 2012, 01:12:17 AM »
Huh.  Some of the discussion on the thread pertaining to the sample chapters from Cold Days just pinged my brain: what the heck counts as a day in the NN?  They clearly have ways of keeping track of time in the mortal world-- the transfer of the table is sufficient proof of that--but time is fluid in the NN, so what sets its passage?

The NN overlays/is tangent to the mortal world in some pretty convoluted, non-constant ways: a meter's difference in either world could connect to a point many, many kilometers distance away. In this context, what sets the position of the sun and stars (and, I suppose, Moon) in the sky of the NN? 

If the stars are somehow inconstant, is navigation in an absolute sense even possible, or is it landmark-to-landmark?

....Bleh. Not exactly plot-important, but an interesting point.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 13, 2012, 02:48:32 PM »
Will we see Justin outside of flashbacks in this series?
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline kytheros

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 13, 2012, 08:00:24 PM »
That ... seems unlikely, as he's dead, or supposed to be dead - enough so that the Warden's and White Council came down on Harry for a First Law Violation for it.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 13, 2012, 09:30:19 PM »
That ... seems unlikely, as he's dead, or supposed to be dead - enough so that the Warden's and White Council came down on Harry for a First Law Violation for it.
He can be dead and still show up in the current time.  Several others have, such as harry, harry's dad, (arguably) harry's mom, the Corpsetaker and various ghosts, Murphy's dad, Carmichael, ...

And thats not even thinking about this rumored Mirror Mirror alternate timeline thing.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 13, 2012, 11:13:56 PM »

I know that, I just want to shoot down the hopes everyone who thinks Justin will appear outside of flashbacks.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 13, 2012, 11:38:14 PM »

Kinda relates to my earlier question...

Given Bob's confirmation of the existence of alternate dimensions, is there any chance we might run into the alternate versions of confirmed killed people?

Justin, Margaret LeFay, or Kemmler, perhaps?

Since, we might never meet Justin, but we could still meet alternative Justin.

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 14, 2012, 01:15:47 AM »
Since, we might never meet Justin, but we could still meet alternative Justin.

Of course, he wouldn't really be Justin. Even in the Star Trek "Mirror, Mirror" episodes, the moral compasses of the crew were extremely skewed, relative to those of the original crew. The Justin in an alternate universe could be their version of the Dalai Lama or something.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline xakko

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 16, 2012, 11:54:20 PM »
I've done some searching to no avail, but I imagine that some of these have been asked before...

1. Is there significance to the fact that both Sanya and Ebeneezer seem to detect evil by scenet?  In DM, Michael tells Sanya that what he's perceiving as a rancid smell is Nicodemus, and in BR, McCoy says that the bad blampire mojo that is driving off the street people "stinks".

2. Does the name of the boat in DM - the Etranger - also have significance?  Being deficient in both French and Camus, I totally missed that this is the original title of The Stranger, so when I wiki'd it, that came up, along with the sentence "most English translations of the French title L’Étranger are rendered as The Outsider".  Did the Churchmice buy the boat, or did they rent it, or what?  Does it matter?

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 17, 2012, 12:49:13 AM »
I've done some searching to no avail, but I imagine that some of these have been asked before...

1. Is there significance to the fact that both Sanya and Ebeneezer seem to detect evil by scenet?  In DM, Michael tells Sanya that what he's perceiving as a rancid smell is Nicodemus, and in BR, McCoy says that the bad blampire mojo that is driving off the street people "stinks".

2. Does the name of the boat in DM - the Etranger - also have significance?  Being deficient in both French and Camus, I totally missed that this is the original title of The Stranger, so when I wiki'd it, that came up, along with the sentence "most English translations of the French title L’Étranger are rendered as The Outsider".  Did the Churchmice buy the boat, or did they rent it, or what?  Does it matter?

Etranger technically means foreigner/abroad, although that's a good catch.
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 17, 2012, 01:02:28 AM »
I know that, I just want to shoot down the hopes everyone who thinks Justin will appear outside of flashbacks.

I don;t know, I think we might see him through time-travelling Harry.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.