Author Topic: Questions for Jim 2012 style 2  (Read 81712 times)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: Questions for Jim 2012 style 2
« Reply #120 on: August 01, 2012, 01:09:15 AM »
He has mentioned that the whole coin kerfuddle is something that he developed along the way.  Butters was supposed to be just a one off character, but he stuck around. 

So, unless you just want to reiterate these items, you might want to reword your question, so it doesn't cover already trodden ground.

What I'd really like, I suppose, would be to see the original series plan published; possibly if there's a collection of short stories that comes out after the novel, that would make sense.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 02, 2012, 12:49:33 PM »
According to Ebenezer, Maggie LaFey was guilty of Violating the First Law, which indicates both that she Killed someone with magic, and that she got caught.  Who did she kill and why?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 02, 2012, 01:16:30 PM »
According to Ebenezer, Maggie LaFey was guilty of Violating the First Law, which indicates both that she Killed someone with magic, and that she got caught.  Who did she kill and why?

We'll probably find out eventually.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 02, 2012, 01:31:49 PM »
Does Elaine have any children? (not with Harry).
I am sure she would have told Harry. Unless there are a few summer changelings running around  :)
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 02, 2012, 01:35:15 PM »
We'll probably find out eventually.
perhaps.  I give it a 50/50 chance of being something that will get a singsong refusal.  It could be something that will be central to the arc (so we'll just have to wait and see), or it could be a simple backstory element that is part of her overall decent into the Black, an event that was more about her loosing control that the actual situation (so he could share without spoiling anything).  But even the refusal will tell us something. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 02, 2012, 02:49:38 PM »
What I'd really like, I suppose, would be to see the original series plan published; possibly if there's a collection of short stories that comes out after the novel, that would make sense.

..I think i wasn't clear enough on my original formulation here; I meant this to be, would Jim consider talking about the original series plan and what changed from it, in detail, after the series is done; it would surprise me if he could cover all of that now, both because it might involve elements we haven't seen yet, and because it might involve elements we have seen that are set-up for things we haven't seen yet.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 02, 2012, 03:21:51 PM »
In Blood Rites, harry was able to use Listening to detect and classify nine renfields and darkhounds by the sound of their heartbeats alone, while in an echo-filled underground bunker.  Was this a capability of Listening alone, or was Lash augmenting his senses beyond his normal limits?  Because if it was purely the affect of normal Listening, it seems like that would put Listening firmly in the Supernatural senses category.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 05, 2012, 06:47:24 AM »
What are the names of the 20 or so Freeholding Lords mentioned mentioned in White Night (leaving out the ones whose names are walking spoilers)?

What are all the factions (e.g. White Council) under the Accords?

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Veritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 05, 2012, 09:38:16 AM »
Are there White Court Vampire Wizards/Sorcerers? What can you tell us about their power and skill compared to White Council Wizards?

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 05, 2012, 09:39:19 AM »
Are there White Court Vampire Wizards/Sorcerers? What can you tell us about their power and skill compared to White Council Wizards?

Already asked.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 05, 2012, 05:02:27 PM »
Yep, here's the WoJ
'Are there White Court vampire wizards?'
Yes, there are. Thomas is middle-of-the-road in power and [ed: think I'm remembering this correctly] the strongest don't get as strong as mortal wizards [/ed], but they can pull off some strong tricks with their Hunger.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Drulinda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 05, 2012, 06:21:43 PM »
From what i remember in Dracula it sounded like a turned persons soul was trapped until they were killed for good. Is this what happens in the Dresdenverse with the Black and Red courts?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 05, 2012, 09:13:46 PM »
From what i remember in Dracula it sounded like a turned persons soul was trapped until they were killed for good. Is this what happens in the Dresdenverse with the Black and Red courts?
That is because of the idea that the soul is indestructible and eventually will end up in heaven or hell but there are strong suggestions that this is not necessarily true in the dresdenverse. So nobody knows what happens to the soul of a red court vampire's former human. Or that of a changeling.

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Drulinda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 05, 2012, 11:44:18 PM »
That is because of the idea that the soul is indestructible and eventually will end up in heaven or hell but there are strong suggestions that this is not necessarily true in the dresdenverse. So nobody knows what happens to the soul of a red court vampire's former human. Or that of a changeling.
True

Another question a bit more relevant to the story for Jim: What kinds of countermeasures does Mavra have to insure enemies like Lord Raith cant get to her through magic?

Offline kytheros

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 06, 2012, 12:01:40 AM »
True

Another question a bit more relevant to the story for Jim: What kinds of countermeasures does Mavra have to insure enemies like Lord Raith cant get to her through magic?
Seeing as she's dead, I suspect that Lord Raith (or any other Raith) wouldn't be able to, er, induce lust to feed on her. And, good god man, that's an appalling mental image anyways.

My question is True Love protects against Raiths and other lust-based White Court Vampires. Would it protect against a Skavis or Malvora White Court Vampire?