Author Topic: Dresden Files based/inspired on line role playing game  (Read 3318 times)

Offline MrWiggles

• Participant
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Dresden Files based/inspired on line role playing game
« on: July 15, 2012, 08:01:21 AM »
So for the last few years, I've been working on a text based on line role playing game. They'er collectively called mu*s or muds. Mine in particular is called a Mush for its more social nature and less call for simulation and a few other differences. Whats important, is that its role playing game, played in real time, all text based, done through exchanging poses as your characters. Like a more structure real time play by post forum rpg.

Its called Navitas: The City Limits.

Its set in Southern California, around Orange and Anaheim California. (Which includes Disneyland) and has an underground supernatural town, called the Burrows. Its action/combat oriented, but social characters are welcome and needed.

DresdenFiles is what I'm using to help ground the mush, as far as atmosphere and theme is concern, but but we're not beholden to it, and for game play reasons and personal preference there are several changes I've had to make for Navitas.

First, is that the novels aren't cannon for my game, even if the game make uses of items, places and persons from the the novels. The vampires, even though I really do love Vampires in Dresden Files had to be replaced for game play reasons. They've been replaced with a version of Vampires based on the Four Humors, and are bent toward being more monstrous and designed to disallow the overplayed emo vampire archetype. Their is no Masquerade of the supernatrual world from the mortal world. Its just fairly obscure and uncommon. Something like Ball Lightning. Magic however can't be industrialized.  The last major change is that magical items are much more common then presented in the novel, but that they aren't common themselves in the game. There number of other smaller changes but none as drastic as these.

My Mush doesn't use any mechanics from the published table top RPG.

There a whole host of features, that I wont include in the initial post, as its getting kinda of long as it is, but happy to go in to. I'm open to have a large assortment of supernatural creatures, that players can create (instead of only choosing from a list of predefine creatures) or badass human. There also a role play depended combat system and experience is rewarded through reviewing logs or through quality role playing.

We're making steady progress and moving toward an alpha/open house soon.

I wanna take questions and hear responses and expectations or what you'd think would be cool from a dresden online rpg game.