Author Topic: Let us know about new WoJ's here  (Read 5507 times)

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
Let us know about new WoJ's here
« on: July 11, 2012, 01:55:13 PM »
If you know of a WoJ source that you want to suggest get put in the WoJ forum/get linked to in the link collection, please mention it in this topic.

This new topic will serve part of the purpose of the old WoJ transcription sticky.

To be more specific, Jim is known to do interviews for other people's websites and they don't always get announced on the website.  If you happen to come across one of these, let us know here.  Also, like many of us, Jim is active all over the internet.  I have come across random posts by Jim in places like youtube, Amazon, various writing websites, and of course Twitter.  If you notice something noteworthy anywhere on the internet that Jim has said, or that quotes something Jim said in an interview or something, let us know here :)

However, if it's already been announced in the announcements section, is a post on the jimbutcher forums, or is something already linked in the interview list, you can probably safely assume that it's already been referenced in the WoJ section.

Also, I don't really do twitter.  I'll quote something I've already written on the subject, but suffice to say, usually if anything cool is said on twitter, I find out from you guys rather than finding it myself.

My aversion to Twitter stems from the fact that I don’t text.  Period.  Sending or receiving.  It’s disabled on my phone.  (There have been a few occasions when having that means of communication might have been convenient, but paring down my communications to the bare bones of ~ a gross of characters is something I refuse to sucumb to for now)  Also, since I am prohibited from having a camera phone at work, and by extension don’t want to bother with the cost of a data plan, I don’t have a smart phone.

But I have two specific issues with twitter.
  • Twitter pages load particularly slow on some of the computers I use.  It’s quite frustrating, considering the “I want it now” way things usually are on the internet.
  • The times I have gone to Jim’s twitter, I usually have large issues finding the tweets he is responding to so that I have context.  Someone savvy probably doesn’t have problems like that, but coupled with everything else, I figure I’ll just be a fuddy duddy and not bother.

An RSS probably wouldn’t address that last issue.  But hey what would I know.  I spend hours at a time searching for old interviews and obscure WoJ sources that I might have missed in earlier trolling expeditions (in the fishing sense of the word) of the inter-webs.  So in that context, I figure I’d rather be pleasantly surprised when some other dedicated, twitter savvy fan finds something there and posts it for me to see here on the boards.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 08:49:08 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Asymptote

• Lurker
  • Can't touch this.
    • View Profile
Re: Let us know about new WoJ's here
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 12:36:21 PM »
Hey, hopefully this is the right place to put this. I've been a lurker for a little while, and I've noticed that there seems to be some discussion about
(click to show/hide)
I asked Jim about it while he was signing my copy of Changes, he laughed maniacally and told me that Harry wouldn't get out of it that easy.

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 07:23:36 PM »
Hey, hopefully this is the right place to put this. I've been a lurker for a little while, and I've noticed that there seems to be some discussion about
(click to show/hide)
I asked Jim about it while he was signing my copy of Changes, he laughed maniacally and told me that Harry wouldn't get out of it that easy.

I've seen similar WoJ's where the context was a little muddled.  Usually it isn't clear if Jim is answering about death getting him out of his 3 favors deal or his being the knight.  I sometimes construed this as it possibly being because the favors are moot now that he is the knight and Mab thinks she owns him mind, body, and soul. 

I very rarely post WoJ's into the "compilation" that aren't recorded somehow.  Although I have posted at least one with an accompanying note that it is "uncorroborated."  However, I am always personally hungry for any source possible and am always appreciative of people taking the effort to post stuff like this.
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline dagaetch

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 08:35:15 PM »
wrote this up last night. Nothing new really, but some talk about the tv show and Jim's relationship to it, Jim doing a dream cast of a Dresden Files movie, and a little talk about his new series, The Cinder Spires.

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,34660.0.html

Due to the curating described below, that link is busted and now
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,31853.msg1649522.html#msg1649522 is where your post is at -Serack
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 12:25:15 PM by Serack »
If the building's on fire, it probably is my fault.

Quote from: AcornArmy
We are now debating the possible alternate-universe implications of a frozen turkey in freefall. I can't decide if I love the forum for this, or if we all need serious, immediate therapy of some kind.

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 12:19:15 PM »
Thank you so much!

I had already listened to the parts with Jim in it, but I almost wish I didn't because the spoilers are a little more than I wanted to be exposed to.  I've been avoiding this years sample chapter discussions because last years felt so much like spinning wheels...

By the way, that transcript was really way too Cold Days spoiler heavy to be in the books section.  No matter though because I flexed some curator powers and merged your posts into a newly klobbered together 2012 transcriptions thread in the WoJ section.  It's nice to be able to transfer your actual post there rather than copying and pasting.  I prefer that those that read it see that it was you that went through all that effort by having your avatar and name next to it :)
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline dagaetch

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 02:43:15 PM »
Thanks for moving! I wasn't really sure where to put it, so the compilation thread is a great idea.

Do we know if Jim will do more interviews, or online chats, of any kind? I'm generally willing to transcribe stuff.
If the building's on fire, it probably is my fault.

Quote from: AcornArmy
We are now debating the possible alternate-universe implications of a frozen turkey in freefall. I can't decide if I love the forum for this, or if we all need serious, immediate therapy of some kind.

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 02:52:42 PM »
Thanks for moving! I wasn't really sure where to put it, so the compilation thread is a great idea.

Do we know if Jim will do more interviews, or online chats, of any kind? I'm generally willing to transcribe stuff.

He is doing a reddit askmeanything thingy this year as well as a signing tour that will almost certainly involve several "open mike" Q&A's.  It is also very typical for his publicist to set up various live interviews that coinside with his tour.  The Fast Forward, Contemporary Sciency Fiction interview is one of my favorite interviews of this type, and it happened in DC probably within a couple few hours of my seeing him at the DC signing.

I managed to have a brief correspondence with said publicist where I asked if I could be possibly placed in the information loop for the scheduling of these to facilitate my WoJ trolling...  It didn't really come to anything though.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 03:00:46 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Trevalion

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 10:59:50 PM »
I've been wondering about Harry's remaining favor, sense Mab had previously offered to revoke them if he took up the WK mantle.  Looks like he just forgot to take her up on that offer when it was time to make the deal.  Poor Harry.

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 09:32:54 PM »
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 04:54:51 PM »
Do you know about this interview?

http://wyrdcon.com/2013/04/26/interview-with-jim-butcher-author-of-the-dresden-files/

I think I added a link to it in the spoilers section sticky when Iago announced it with several others in the main website news feed.  I am actually maintaining two seperate interview lists at the moment and hadn't added it to the other one which is the sticky in the WoJ section.  I think there are some other links in the spoilers sticky that need to be reflected in the WoJ section as well.
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Gigglestomp

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 06:56:57 PM »
This post both contains a WOJ 3rd party website video (Read comments in thread for link) and also addresses my theory about the third favor.

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,38442.0.html

Offline co99p

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 07:21:15 PM »
tag
Funny Stuff  XKCD http://xkcd.com/585/   Indexed http://thisisindexed.com/     
Ignorance is what killed the cat. It then framed Curiosity for the murder. No harm in asking.