Author Topic: The RAW...  (Read 2903 times)

Offline Rougarou

• Conversationalist
  • Just like Disneyland.
    • View Profile
The RAW...
« on: July 02, 2012, 09:02:14 PM »
I see the phrase "the RAW" constantly used here and am finally curious enough to ask what it stands for... Now, I know what it *means*, the source books Your Story and Our World. I just want to know what it's an acronym for.

As of now I am operating under the assumption that it stands for "Real A## Words", because they're in a book, as opposed to the "Made Up A## Words" found on the forums, because they came from *us* and we're just a bunch of people on the Internet who like to post our house rules and custom powers.

... BTW, if I just coined the term MUAW, I definitely want credit.
"So you fought a hobo who tried to use a ritual to make himself a god?"
"We called him Hobosus."
"What?"
"Hobo plus Jesus. Hobosus."
- From a DFRPG campaign.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: The RAW...
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 09:04:06 PM »
It means "Rules as Written" opposed to "Rules as Intended" or RAI.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Rougarou

• Conversationalist
  • Just like Disneyland.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 09:07:08 PM »

I was afraid of that... I now know something I didn't know before and I am disappointed because I like my prior assumption better. *sigh*
"We called him Hobosus."
"What?"
- From a DFRPG campaign.

Offline Orladdin

• Conversationalist
  • The Undauntable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 09:07:44 PM »

Yes.  Correct.

I presume this was directed at my last post before I edited it.
Keep in mind, that peoples' rememberances of the words in the book are only as good as their memory of them.  Things get extra hairy when the people in-question have been running other, very similar games and can't drop everything to go look something up immediately.

[Edit:] Though, I must admit: I like your interpretation better.  "Real-A$$ Words," indeed.  ^_^
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 09:19:32 PM by Orladdin »
There is never a blanket answer to an ethical question.  This includes the Laws of Magic.

Perpetrator of The Cold Days Release FAQ

"I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones."
-- The Doctor, Timewyrm: Genesys

Offline Rougarou

• Conversationalist
  • Just like Disneyland.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 09:21:37 PM »
Yes.  Correct.

Keep in mind, that peoples' rememberances of the words in the book are only as good as their memory of them.  Things get extra hairy when the people in-question have been running other, very similar games and can't drop everything to go look something up immediately.

I think he was just answering my question and wasn't directing anything at you. I only asked the question because I was genuinely curious and figured someone would get a chuckle while I got my information.

I read the post you were talking about and it wasn't a big deal. You made an honest mistake and admitted your error. Bravo on not being too stubborn to admit you were wrong about something. No one is going to give you a hard time for something we've all done. 
"We called him Hobosus."
"What?"
- From a DFRPG campaign.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 09:27:09 PM »
This wasn't aimed at you at all, I don't think I even read the post you mention. I just thought I'd explain RAI as well, since it often comes up whenever RAW is mentioned.

Offline Orladdin

• Conversationalist
  • The Undauntable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 01:12:09 PM »
Oh, sorry, I meant Rougarou's OP, not you Haru.

<--- Yep, totally fallable, this one.   ;D
There is never a blanket answer to an ethical question.  This includes the Laws of Magic.

Offline Ghsdkgb

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 02:41:55 PM »
I've actually never seen "RAI" in context.
"I am responsible for more than my own fun."

Offline Orladdin

• Conversationalist
  • The Undauntable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 03:22:01 PM »

Probably because it would be difficult to argue... that is, unless Iago gets on.  He could honestly argue RAI, but it doesn't seem like his style.

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 03:37:28 PM »
I am never wrong.

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 06:31:39 PM »

I see RAI used more often on boards that discuss Dungeons and Dragons and other such games that have substantially more rules and rules-interactions than Dresden Files.

For example, in D&D 4th Edition, RAW says that Dwarves move 1 square less whenever affected by a Push or Pull effect (effects which force involuntary movement). This represents their natural stability. The rules also state that a character who finds himself in mid-air without support or flight is Pulled (note the use of a defined game term, with a capital letter) toward the ground at a rate that depends on how far above the ground they are.

Thus, a dwarf who can arrange to place himself 1 square off the ground will be Pulled 1 square downward, but resist it and be Pulled 1 less square, for a total movement of 0 squares.

In other words, by RAW, dwarves are hovercraft.

This is clearly not RAI.

Offline Orladdin

• Conversationalist
  • The Undauntable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 06:54:05 PM »
I see RAI used more often on boards that discuss Dungeons and Dragons and other such games that have substantially more rules and rules-interactions than Dresden Files.

For example, in D&D 4th Edition, RAW says that Dwarves move 1 square less whenever affected by a Push or Pull effect (effects which force involuntary movement). This represents their natural stability. The rules also state that a character who finds himself in mid-air without support or flight is Pulled (note the use of a defined game term, with a capital letter) toward the ground at a rate that depends on how far above the ground they are.

Thus, a dwarf who can arrange to place himself 1 square off the ground will be Pulled 1 square downward, but resist it and be Pulled 1 less square, for a total movement of 0 squares.

This is clearly not RAI.

Is that really how falling is worded?  It sounds like someone paraphrased falling to create that argument out of nothingness (probably for the lulz).

I don't know-- I tend to stay away from the Wizards' forum.  Too many Grognards and Edition War BS.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 06:55:47 PM »
Brb, I need to figure out how to insert Dwarven Hovercraft into my game's next scenario.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 06:58:18 PM »
That is awesome ;D

Oh, sorry, I meant Rougarou's OP, not you Haru.
Ah, ok. I kind of thought so, but after Rougarou's comment I wasn't sure.

I've seen RAI being mentioned multiple times around here, but I admit, other games probably need to use it more often.

Hovercraft Dwarves :D

Offline Ghsdkgb

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 07:12:02 PM »

This is clearly not RAI.

I haven't heard that one, but I have heard of the commoner railgun. Take the Leadership feat and gather a large following of level 1 commoners, and have them all bucket-brigade-style pass something from one person to the next. Since passing is a free action, you can effectively move anything any distance in literally 0 time.

Arguments have been made that the speed at which this object passes requires it be a deadly projectile beyond the 1d4 of improvised weapons.
"I am responsible for more than my own fun."