Author Topic: DR in Dead Beat  (Read 5629 times)

Offline Albion

• Lurker
    • View Profile
DR in Dead Beat
« on: June 30, 2012, 12:20:34 PM »
Sorry if this has been discussed here before, I've searched the web and couldn't find any mention of it and thought this would be a good place to ask.

In Chapter 11 of Dead Beat Harry has a dream where he see's his Dad, He describes he's in a forest with pine and can smell that he's near a lake. He doesn't recognize the forest but it feels really familiar to him. Is it possible that this is one of the first references to Demonreach?

Offline FFguy

• Conversationalist
  • There is no logic in my rants.
    • View Profile
Re: DR in Dead Beat
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 12:39:01 PM »
Given Butcher's love of dropping little nuggets like that, it could very well be.
The Scary Truth about Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris may be able to round house kick you to death but only after he gets permission from Mister.  Just think about that.  Chuck Norris the most powerful being ever known needs to get the okay from a cat.  Beware the cat.  Fear the cat.

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 01:08:30 PM »
Another possible connection...  In Small Favor, Luccio states that there was a Dark Ley Line, under Sue's museum.  I got the impression they were separate, but if not, it might be a bad thing.

Since, didn't the Gatekeeper warn about drawing power from DR's LL?  Even if somewhat diluted, from distance from the source, I'd think it might have some of those changing effects the Gatekeeper warned about.

Offline madness

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 08:14:20 PM »
The Ley line under the museum is a different (necromantic, IIRC) dark ley line than the ley line that is springing from DR.

Luccio's map shows that there are several significant ley lines in the area.

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 09:50:41 PM »
Sorry if this has been discussed here before, I've searched the web and couldn't find any mention of it and thought this would be a good place to ask.

In Chapter 11 of Dead Beat Harry has a dream where he see's his Dad, He describes he's in a forest with pine and can smell that he's near a lake. He doesn't recognize the forest but it feels really familiar to him. Is it possible that this is one of the first references to Demonreach?

This.  Is an awesome first post.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 10:01:16 PM »
This.  Is an awesome first post.

And now I want to reconsider if Malcolm might have been talking about Demonreach, instead of Lash.  I mean it is possible, considering how vague he was.

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 10:58:09 PM »
Here's the description of the woods in the dream.  I'll snip out the parts that aren't about the environment and the "Jabberwock"

Quote from:  DB Ch. 12
I dreamed almost immediately.  Threatening trees.  Mostly evergreens, rose up around a small glade.  In its center a modest, neat campfire sparked and crackled.  I could smell a lake somewhere nearby, moss and flowers and dead fish blending in with the scent of mildewed pine.  The air was cold enough to make me shiver, and I hunched a little closer to the fire, but even so I felt like my back was to a glacier.  From somewhere overhead came the wild, honking screams of migrating geese under a crescent moon.  I didn't recognize the place, but it somehow seemed perfectly familiar.
[/snip]
There was a rushing sound out in the woods, and I saw the tops of several trees swaying in succession as something, something big, moved among them.  From tree to tree, the unseen threat moved, circling the little glade.
[/snip]
"You know what it is.  You know what it wants."
I swallowed.  "The demon."
He nodded, blue eyes on mine.

By the way, I want to point out that his father expounds on a theme that Eb and Uriel also make a big deal about in Changes and GS.

Quote from: DB Ch 12
"You are a product of your own choices, Harry, and nothing can change that.  Don't let anyone or anything tell you otherwise."
"But...my choices haven't always been very good," I said.
"Whose have?"

I'd like to use that as evidence towards "Malcolm" being a benevolent entity.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 11:10:58 PM »

y'know, i never thoguth of that.

Congradulations, you win one Duck point
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline Tarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 12:05:35 AM »
You know when you realise something so obvious that you hate yourself for not getting it sooner?

... Yeah.

I didn't recognize the place, but it somehow seemed perfectly familiar.
Absolutely sealed it for me.  That's too obvious a parallel for it to be a coincidence. 

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 03:49:26 AM »
I like this idea. I really need to reread the series. It's been a while.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline Albion

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 07:06:19 AM »
One of the beautiful things about going back I think. Little things which at the time didn't mean anything suddenly come flashing into focus. I'm going to keep an eye out for any more things like this.

Thanks for the Kind words and Duck Points ^^

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 07:03:20 PM »
Serack's quote mentions Harry feeling like his back was against a glacier.  Just wanted to point out that Demonreach's limp was caused by a glacier.
Can you tell us more about the runes on the cottage and the lighthouse?
They were not put there by Demonreach; they have been there a very long time.  They are pre-Council.  They’re a prehistoric script, actually.  Harry could have figured out the script if he’d had the comic book. NOTE: I think this has something to do with runes on a wall in Under City seen in Welcome to the Jungle

Also, people have a few things wrong about the Gatekeeper and the island.  The Gatekeeper did not hurt Demonreach.  Gatekeeper has been on the island a couple of times, and it’s never gone well, but he didn’t cause Demonreach’s limp.  That’s the work of the glacier that carved out Lake Michigan.

So, just wondering, was the glacier in question related to Mab perhaps?  Or am I just reading too much into things?

Btw, nice catch Albion, and welcome to the forums!
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline madness

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 07:13:59 PM »
It seems pretty likely that an Ice Age was related to Mab (unless it somehow happened before the Sidhe had taken control of faerie).

Doesn't mean that it was intentional or personal though.

The exchanges between Mab and DR in GS don't seem to feature much personal antagonism.  Just two massively powerful, arrogant and non-human entities growling at each other.