Author Topic: Reference: X compared to Y = possible Discrepancy?  (Read 57378 times)

Offline lilylis

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Exploritory Reference: X compared to Y = possible Discrepancy?
« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2013, 04:37:20 AM »
- Murphy's P90 that fell into the lake gets found.
I always thought she just got a new one.  Does it still have the engraved plate?
-
It's the same P90 that Kincaid gave her in a box of chocolates...engraved plate and all.  Its a little thing, but it bugs me everytime Murph uses that gun after Small Favor when she dropped it into the lake after Tessa lashes out at her.

I wish I knew how she got it back. In one short story, Harry talks about getting paid for finding something lost in the lake.  It wasn't Murphy's gun, but I keep hoping for a line in some short story or book that explains how Murph got her P90 back....perhaps Harry found it for her since he's good at locating things.

It's probably just something that got lost in all the writing and editing...but I still wish Jim would give an explanation....it'd be kinda of cute...even though Harry was jealous of Kincaid he still found Murphy's P90 back out of the lake for her.
"I have a monster under my bed, and it's Mouse.…There was another one there but me and Mouse slayerized it. --Maggie Dresden

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 30, 2013, 11:02:23 AM »
It's the same P90 that Kincaid gave her in a box of chocolates...engraved plate and all.  Its a little thing, but it bugs me everytime Murph uses that gun after Small Favor when she dropped it into the lake after Tessa lashes out at her.

I wish I knew how she got it back. In one short story, Harry talks about getting paid for finding something lost in the lake.  It wasn't Murphy's gun, but I keep hoping for a line in some short story or book that explains how Murph got her P90 back....perhaps Harry found it for her since he's good at locating things.

It's probably just something that got lost in all the writing and editing...but I still wish Jim would give an explanation....it'd be kinda of cute...even though Harry was jealous of Kincaid he still found Murphy's P90 back out of the lake for her.

Maybe Kincaid got her the inside line on getting the good stuff rather than the civilian versions of stuff like this, so she wouldn't have had trouble replacing it her own self.

Wellll, no maybe about it. ;)
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
Re: Reference: X compared to Y = possible Discrepancy?
« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2013, 02:11:50 PM »
Harry mentions at some point helping a coin collector retrieve a jar full of coins he'd dropped in the same lake, so it's possible Harry helped her find it.

Or, while it fell in the water, it got caught in the Water Beetle's rigging and didn't sink to the bottom.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline lilylis

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 12, 2013, 01:23:24 AM »
Maybe Kincaid got her the inside line on getting the good stuff rather than the civilian versions of stuff like this, so she wouldn't have had trouble replacing it her own self.

Wellll, no maybe about it. ;)

although she could/would replace it herself...unlikely she'd redo the engraving. She's a practical girl. I will pretend JB intended to tells us how Harry found it for her shortly after....but the editors deleted that part out of a story..  :-X
"I have a monster under my bed, and it's Mouse.…There was another one there but me and Mouse slayerized it. --Maggie Dresden

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 12, 2013, 11:17:27 AM »
although she could/would replace it herself...unlikely she'd redo the engraving. She's a practical girl. I will pretend JB intended to tells us how Harry found it for her shortly after....but the editors deleted that part out of a story..  :-X

I don't remember the engraving being mentioned again after SmF, but that could be an oversight on my part.

You can take it as an indirect WoJ that Murph is capable of replacing it herself through chanels she was introduced to by Kincaid.  (not that she did, just that she is capable)  Jim told me that when I brought into question whether it was the PS-90 civvy version now or the military version in a Beta discussion.
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 12, 2013, 03:03:01 PM »
The link on Maggie Sr. Ovaries is broken.  I think I recall some of that discussion or at least the early parts, but was curious how it ended up

And purely for the sake of a complete reference, Larry Fowler's name changes to Jerry for one line in the scene in Death Masks, at least in my copy (its possible that they would have wanted to change this in later printings):

Jerry paused for a moment, and then said, "Dr. Ortega, welcome to the show. You have a reputation as one of the premier analysts of paranormal phenomena in the world. You have proven that a wide variety of so-called supernatural occurrences were actually clever hoaxes. Can you tell us a little about that?"
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 03:09:33 PM by Quantus »
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline phoenixjustice

• Conversationalist
  • I believe in you, Spike.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 13, 2013, 02:43:11 AM »
And purely for the sake of a complete reference, Larry Fowler's name changes to Jerry for one line in the scene in Death Masks, at least in my copy (its possible that they would have wanted to change this in later printings):

Yeah it's the same in my copy as well.

DV PhoenixJusticev1.2YR9FR(M)6, BK++, RP, JB+, TH++, WG++, CL++, SW+, BC+, MC+++++, SH(Lash++, Murphy++,Molly+++,Morgan++,Marcone++, Kincaid++, Bob++, Mavra----, Nic+, DF OTP ++++)

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 04, 2013, 06:26:52 PM »
Harry's age when he first used magic/was adopted by Justin is referred to several times, and the first age given is different from most of the others.

Below are all the relevant quotes I can find.  I think there is one where Harry says that Elaine was adopted a couple few weeks after he was, but I can't find it right now.

The gyst is that in Summer Knight Harry says that he and Elaine were adopted at 10.  In Proven Guilty Harry says that Justin adopted him two weeks after his magic manifested.  In Ghost Story he says his first time using magic broke the Iowa state high school long-jump record, and Ghost Story also says that he was 12 when he met Elaine.

There are also many mentionings of Harry's first lessons occuring around 13.

Quote from: SK Ch 7
"We got adopted by the same man when we were ten.

Quote from: PG Ch 41
"My fist time..." [/snip] It was maybe two weeks before Justin adopted me," I said.  "I was in school and small.  All elbows and ears.  Hadn't hit my growth spurt yet, and it was spring

Quote from: SmF Ch 1
The memory of my first shielding lesson under Justin DuMorne wasn't a particularly sentimental one.  "Baseballs."
Merciful God," Charity said, shaking her head.  "How old were you?"
"Thirteen."

Quote from: GS Ch. 12
I broke the Iowa state high school long-jump record [/snip]  I hadn't even gotten serious about puberty yet.

Quote from: GS Ch 20
And I was nearly thirteen, so that was really saying something.
[/snip]
"Flickum bicus!"

Quote from: GS ch 30
I hadn't really been interested in girls yet when I met Elaine.  We'd both been twelve, bright and stubborn"

We also have this WoJ on the matter:
Quote from: WoJ
How old were Eb and Maggie Sr when they first manifested a talent?
Same age as Harry–around 12 or 13.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 05:05:12 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
  • Proud member of the Purple Court.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 21, 2013, 01:18:22 AM »
I believe there was also a WoJ about the "Demonreach disintegration wall destroying Harry's amulet" problem in CD. I'll try and find it.
Please, call me Count :).

Thanks go to Shecky for the nickname and Serack for the avatar ^,..,^

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 21, 2013, 01:35:50 AM »
I believe there was also a WoJ about the "Demonreach disintegration wall destroying Harry's amulet" problem in CD. I'll try and find it.

Rasins: I've got a couple of questions, the first one has to do with Harry’s amulet.

Jim: Okay, yes, Harry’s amulet, right.

Rasins: We saw it at the birthday party and never again….did it survive the circle on Demonreach?

Jim:Oh yes.

Rasins: Was it taken off and in his pocket?

Jim: I believe it was, it was with his gear right, he took it off and handed it to Michael and didn't I specifically mention it?

Rasins: You mentioned that he took his coat off but not the amulet.

Jim: Okay yeah, no but it had to have gone with the coat, although although if that wasn't written, that was an oversight during the editing process, which was a little rushed. I think the post-production on that was, from start to finish, I think it was 15 days, so there was a lot of back and forth and a lot of me not sleeping during the process.

*Audience laughter*

Here you go.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
  • Proud member of the Purple Court.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2013, 01:37:03 AM »
Please, call me Count :).

Thanks go to Shecky for the nickname and Serack for the avatar ^,..,^

Offline Xandarth

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2013, 01:59:08 AM »
- Harry's fifth floor office is on the fourth floor.
This is actually quite easy to explain if you assume Martin was British or from any Commonwealth nation initially or indeed if he was simply was educated in one of these countries.

British labeling of floors begins with the level of the building accessible from the ground being called the "ground floor" as opposed to US naming convention that refers to this floor as the "first floor." The floor above this is referred to as the "first floor" under the British naming convention but under the US naming convention would be called the "second floor."

So Harry saying his office was on the fifth floor and Martin saying his office was on the fourth isn't a discrepancy. They could both have actually been talking about the same floor. ;)

Or maybe the explosives were all attached to the roof of the room below Harry's office. Either way totally fine. :P
Jim doesn't make mistakes. He uses dramatic license.

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 06, 2014, 02:39:07 PM »
Another possible discrepancy:

In Bombshells, Molly notes Justine using that "Little White Card" to rack up considerable expense buying clothes for the assault team, yet when Thomas hands her the card in Cold Days, she doesn't seem to recognize it.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 06, 2014, 03:11:10 PM »
Another possible discrepancy:

In Bombshells, Molly notes Justine using that "Little White Card" to rack up considerable expense buying clothes for the assault team, yet when Thomas hands her the card in Cold Days, she doesn't seem to recognize it.

Molly didn't use Justine's card herself,  only saw Justine handling it. One possibility is that, in Bombshells Molly thought it was an ordinary credit card. In CD, she got to take a closer look and learned exactly what it was.

Or, it's a mistake on JB'S part.
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 06, 2014, 04:11:39 PM »
Molly didn't use Justine's card herself,  only saw Justine handling it. One possibility is that, in Bombshells Molly thought it was an ordinary credit card. In CD, she got to take a closer look and learned exactly what it was.

Quote from: Cold Days
Thomas snorted and slipped a white plastic card out of his pocket. It was utterly unmarked except for a few stamped numbers and a magnetic strip. He flicked it across the table to Molly. “When you get your pizza, have them run that.”

Molly studied the card, back and front. “Is this a Diners Club card or something?”

Basically, Molly doesn't even recognize the card as a credit card. 

Or, it's a mistake on JB'S part.

---> Like I said "possible discrepancy".
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html