Author Topic: Reference: X compared to Y = possible Discrepancy?  (Read 57294 times)

Offline ImpishMortal

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Ebon Gryphon Games
Re: Exploritory Reference: X compared to Y = possible Discrepancy?
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2012, 01:39:35 PM »
I cant help but notice that others have failed to notice that pouring concrete onto the activated ring encased coin should have broken the circle.
unless its been mentioned....

I saw it more like he dug a hole within the already placed circle, tossed in Lasciel, filled the hole, activated the circle, and then left it there. IIRC, he never mentions using the circle in his basement post-burying the coin.

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2012, 02:04:00 PM »
I cant help but notice that others have failed to notice that pouring concrete onto the activated ring encased coin should have broken the circle.
unless its been mentioned....

Lol.  Most of the info from my post on that comes from a topic discussing exactly that.  Gime a min and I'll find it.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2012, 02:06:10 PM »
here it is.

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,31428.0.html

P.S.  I'll probably be moving this topic to the reference child board soon.
DF WoJ Compilation

taishojojo

« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2012, 03:11:52 PM »
but that thread began meandering around page 2/3...
I do see that the issue has come up.

I'm curious when Harry will use... 'superior' (maybe a bad choice of words) geometry. or more better geometry  8)
WoJ has discussed how mages dont really gain more power as much as they get more efficient in its use.
Harry wastes a lot of energy... making a circle is simple. but a circle makes a cylinder. What if Harry began using spheres?
I'm thinking over-circle kinda thing. Or begins using over-spheres.. extending into dimensions perpendicular to {x,y,z}. forward/backward in time... alternate universes/timelines... the NN...

Sorry if I'm not making any sense... I have Flatland on the brain. (excellent book btw... highly recommend it)

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2012, 03:19:03 PM »
There was a thread a while back about "how high up do circles go"?  Note that everyone we see (e.g. Kincaid, Butters) all seem to create the same type of cylinder, so it is not obvious what "physical law" is causing this or how the height of the cylinder is chosen.  Maybe everyone in the DV has seen Star Trek transporter beams?

...or better yet, in the DV Gene Roddenberry was actually on to something (like Stoker/Lovecraft).  Remember that WoJ is that an upcoming book named "Mirror Mirror" is a strong possibility.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 03:22:17 PM by knnn »
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2012, 04:30:31 PM »
Btw, by moving this thread, I ment the discrepancy thread.
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline spades8006

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Reference: X compared to Y = possible Discrepancy?
« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2012, 07:39:13 PM »
i don't know if this has already been addressed but in dead beat after the power goes out harry and billy are talking in his office the harry rides the elevator down... i don't have my book on me so i can't directly quote the relevant passage

Offline Paladino

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2012, 12:31:38 PM »
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned, but:

On Backup, Bob tells Thomas that the sorceres/witch didn't kill him because she wouldn't be able to hide the stench of black magic from Harry so soon after casting it. On SF, Morgan confront Harry at Sells lake house after Harry summons Toot, even grab his shoulders, and acuse Harry of killing two person (or it's people?) the night before. Had Harry really comitted such act, he would have the black magic feel on him, and Morgan should know such thing..

So there is a discrepancy, or one day is enough for the stench to go away, or Morgan dislike for Harry was so big he was disregarding evidence of Harry inocence?

I think the last option is unlike Morgan character, as shown at the end of the book. The way Harry describe Black magic foulness, I think it would last little more than a day. So I think it was something Jim hadn't decide so early in the series. 

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2012, 04:43:12 PM »
Probably has to do with the sunrise. If I'm not mistaken, a full day had passed between Sells blowing up Tommy and Morgan confronting Harry, and the sunrise would have wiped away residue from any spell. Backup takes place over the course of less than a day, with no sunrise in the middle.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2012, 07:29:22 PM »
Another possible discrepancy is that in Storm Front, Harry feels hopeless because someone got a piece of his hair, yet in Changes, Binder simply shaves his head and dips in the lake, removing all chances of Harry tracking him.

One can get around this by saying that in SF the spell was powered by a lightning storm so maybe that had the ability to target better?
I'm doing a reread and I just got to this part, so I've some new insight to add here.

In Turn Coat, Harry mentions that shaving your head would prevent the spell from working, but not if the hair being used had been plucked root and all. In Storm Front, Harry had no way of telling whether the person had tore it out by the root or not, so for all he knew shaving his head wouldn't have helped anyway.

Offline Ziggelly

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2012, 05:28:43 AM »
??? But doesn't pulling out hair pretty much always take some of the root? How could it not?

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2012, 07:13:13 PM »
In SF, the guy cuts off his hair, so this doesn't work. It's entirely possible Harry didn't know this though. Also, it's not like Harry was really in a position to get his head shaved there. It's also worth noting that Harry was not exactly acting rationally there. He was looking for someone to blame and/or attack. Gimpy and Marcone provided that.
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2012, 04:00:24 PM »
??? But doesn't pulling out hair pretty much always take some of the root? How could it not?
Hair tears as easily as anything else, You could yank on hair and end up just ripping it in half, rather than ripping it from the root.

Offline zug

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2012, 01:13:30 AM »
Posting this here at Serack's suggestion:

At the end of Ghost Story, it's strongly implied that Justine and Thomas will be able to touch each other after Justine has sex with her friend. If it was that simple to fix the True Love WC no touch protection, why did they go through years of heartache and pain because they couldn't touch each other? Why not just sleep with other people on a regular basis so they could spend time together?

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2012, 01:21:37 AM »
You might add a line in there about "Why didn't Thomas' sexual adventures break the protection?"
DF WoJ Compilation