Author Topic: Reference: X compared to Y = possible Discrepancy?  (Read 57440 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Reference: X compared to Y = possible Discrepancy?
« Reply #135 on: June 11, 2014, 12:43:55 PM »
Another note/ thought.
In Cold Days Bob does the whole movie thing with Merlin and the formation of the island.
What if wasn't just across multiple times - what if the discrepancy is on Bob's part and it was across time and dimensions --multiple overlapping dimensions.
If Im not mistaken Bob himself speculated at that point that it was Built in 4 dimansions, and most likely built in 5 or more (which means multiple/parallel dimension by normal Sci-fi parlance) but that it was difficult to tell that sort of thing without actually entering a 5th dimansional state and measuring them.  So yes it seems likely, but I dont see a contraction...?

EDIT:  Here's the passage I was thinking of:
Quote from: Cold Days ch 21
“Merlin didn’t build the prison five times,” Bob said. “He built it once. In five different times. All at the same time.”

I felt my brows knit. “Uh. He was in the same place, doing the same thing, in five different times at once?”

“Exactly.”

“That does not make any sense,” I said.

“Look, a mortal jail is built in three dimensions, right? Merlin built this one in four, and probably in several more, though you can’t really tell whether or not he built it in a given dimension until you go there and measure it, and the act of measuring it will change it, but the point is: This is really advanced stuff.”
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 12:46:17 PM by Quantus »
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Iam that kemmler

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 14, 2014, 09:49:17 PM »
Another discrepancy I haven't seen in this thread is the summoning circle

In SF it's Brass

In FM It's copper

In GP it starts as Brass on page 113 of the paperback when he's talking to Bob, but later in the book changes to copper page 200 - when he attempts to summon the nightmare.

I'm rereading book SK right now and the ring is back to copper - I'll update as I finish rereading the series.

In DM the ring is copper.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 02:56:39 AM by Iam that kemmler »

Offline Romulan Cmdr

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 15, 2014, 02:05:53 AM »
It has to be someplace Thomas has visited before, regularly and is familiar with. Or someplace, like the deeps, that he holds a strong emotional connection to.
Just wanted to add, Thomas met Justine at Club Zero so that would put that place on a strong emotional connection.

Offline Sharlee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 15, 2014, 05:49:15 AM »
Just wanted to add, Thomas met Justine at Club Zero so that would put that place on a strong emotional connection.

But, again, it wouldn't fit the description of "gentlemen's club".

Hmmm... maybe the club he brought Michael out to just happens to be where Thomas was, when he first learned that his long-lost little brother had moved to Chicago and opened an investigation business there?

Offline Sharlee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Exploritory Reference: X compared to Y = possible Discrepancy?
« Reply #139 on: August 15, 2014, 06:14:57 AM »
I cant help but notice that others have failed to notice that pouring concrete onto the activated ring encased coin should have broken the circle.

Inanimate matter penetrating an empowered circle can only break it if the individual who applies that matter wills it to do so.  We saw that way back in the first book's introduction of magic circles, when Harry empowered the faerie trap, then laid leaves and twigs over it so Toot-toot wouldn't see it.  So long as Harry doesn't will the twigs and leaves, or the wet cement, to disrupt a circle, he can dump stuff on it all day long without a problem.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 15, 2014, 01:27:48 PM »
Inanimate matter penetrating an empowered circle can only break it if the individual who applies that matter wills it to do so.  We saw that way back in the first book's introduction of magic circles, when Harry empowered the faerie trap, then laid leaves and twigs over it so Toot-toot wouldn't see it.  So long as Harry doesn't will the twigs and leaves, or the wet cement, to disrupt a circle, he can dump stuff on it all day long without a problem.
Close but not quite.  The person doesnt have to consciously Will it, they just have to have Free Will to do it.  So Toot or Bob cannot break the circle (which is why Bob was able to toss harry a potion through a circle in SF.  However if he accidentally knocks something over the circle that is, in Uriel's words, "A Fair Ball."  That is supposedly one of the most common amateur mistakes young summoners make, and why harry always so careful cleans the area around the circle before he attempts summoning.  Its also apparently why Cats are so common as pets for practitioners, because for reasons unknown they can freely cross Circles without disrupting them. 

I wonder if that makes it harder to contain Cat-based magical creatures, and if it applies to all Felines or only the domestic breeds?  Hmmm...
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #141 on: August 15, 2014, 03:30:42 PM »
The thing with Toot's circle is that the leaves and twigs were, in a way, part of the material of the circle -- Harry dug the circle out of earth, and twigs and leaves count as part of "earth," at least in Harry's mind.

The concrete would work similarly -- Harry considers it part of the floor that he's dug into, so it's not disrupting the circle's make-up.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Sharlee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 15, 2014, 07:42:58 PM »
Close but not quite.  The person doesnt have to consciously Will it, they just have to have Free Will to do it.  So Toot or Bob cannot break the circle (which is why Bob was able to toss harry a potion through a circle in SF).  However if he accidentally knocks something over the circle that is, in Uriel's words, "A Fair Ball."  That is supposedly one of the most common amateur mistakes young summoners make, and why harry always so careful cleans the area around the circle before he attempts summoning.

So now Shagnasty has free will?  He used a circle to break Harry's soulfire-lasso, so unless skinwalkers have free will, it can't be a prerequisite for circle magic.  As for cleaning the area around a circle and laying it out precisely, that's what's necessary to prepare a circle before it's empowered, to make it operate as efficiently as possible so it can be infused with more energy and restrain more powerful beings.

Offline Sharlee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 16, 2014, 01:42:20 PM »
Yeah, I'd say that the cemetery one is Mavra. But there's no reason for them to get a count of six when there are seven places.

Maybe Harry'd initially been thinking that there were six places to investigate, as he already knew how one of the seven locations had become marked by necromantic power?  The jump from six unaccounted-for places to six necromancers was where the mistake cropped up, possibly from a worst-case-scenario fallacy: Harry knows he's in deep trouble, and unconsciously inflates that trouble in his mind.

Either that, or the process of revising that scene's text accidentally dropped a line in which Harry deduces that the ink spot for the graveyard is easily accounted for: it's where Grevane must've animated those other zombies he'd brought with him to the Forensics Institute. (It's a pretty safe bet that he wouldn't drag a bunch of undead along on the Way to Chicago, where any passing Warden might notice them or their dark energies, and hauling them into town by car or train is even more conspicuous.)  So, that gives two of the spots on Mort's map to Grevane, leaving five unaccounted for.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 12:12:50 PM by Sharlee »

Offline Sharlee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 16, 2014, 01:45:35 PM »
Certainly. Kemmler stuff, take two:
Those two accounts seem fairly different, don't you think? I mean, I wouldn't consider 1961 as being even close to "during" WW2, as has been pointed out.

Kemmler's the one who taught Corpsetaker everything she knew.  Who's to say he didn't stick around as a shade, same as she did?  The Council could've finally whacked his body for keeps during WWII, then come back and cleaned up the Ghost of Kemmler in 1961.

Offline Iam that kemmler

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 17, 2014, 11:12:54 PM »
Just came across another one

At the end of Summer Knight -

" My staff and blasting rod were in the corner, gleaming as if they'd been polished, and my gun hung in its holster, freshly oiled. The gun had been polished too."

This is the .357 because in Death Masks

"I'd lost my.357 during a battle between the Faerie Courts hosted on clouds over Lake Michigan the previous midsummer, so I'd moved my.44 from the office to home."

Offline Sharlee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 18, 2014, 07:34:47 PM »
Incidentally, does anyone know what happened to Harry's shield bracelet or rings in Changes?  He's not wearing them at the end, but I don't recall him ever mentioning them being destroyed or lost.

Offline Romulan Cmdr

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 21, 2014, 08:01:38 PM »
Incidentally, does anyone know what happened to Harry's shield bracelet or rings in Changes?  He's not wearing them at the end, but I don't recall him ever mentioning them being destroyed or lost.
Bottom of the lake?

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 21, 2014, 09:21:11 PM »
He last used the rings against the Ikk during the Erlking's duel, and was using the shield during the final fight.  When he got back to the boat neither were mentioned again, but he did do some pretty strong grief washing of blood on hands, so odds are he took them off during that.  I'd guess they were left behind with the miscellaneous stuff like the Staff Eb loaned him.  Best we can tell those are either in evidence lockup, or else Murphy or Thomas have them. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Iam that kemmler

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 22, 2014, 05:54:59 AM »
If he had the rings, he wouldn't of carved the extra runes in his staff.

I guess we won't see the rings again till mirror, mirror - where hopefully we find out the fates of little chicago, the bear buckle, the rings, and the sword cane.