Author Topic: Site Outage on May 20th & Other Site Transitions Ahead  (Read 7557 times)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Site Outage on May 20th & Other Site Transitions Ahead
« on: May 19, 2007, 06:58:18 PM »
Hi folks!

Sunday Outage

The machine that jim-butcher.com is on is going to get moved to a new location on Sunday, in the mid-day/afternoon, shading into the evening depending on how long it takes.  Along with the domain name service change that this will necessitate, it means that the site may be down for most of Sunday while the internet catches up with where its new location is.  Your patience is appreciated.

More Ahead

This is the first transition of several planned over the course of the next several months, for Jim-Butcher.com.  While it's not necessary for Sunday's move, it may mean that I'll need to temporarily relocate where the forums are (and how they work!) down the line, but I'm committed to making sure that we retain as much of the forum as-it-is as possible through the future transitions.  This may mean that y'all may have to take a few days off at some point, though, since the forum is probably the most complex piece of the site that I'd need to move.  No timetable on this yet, though!

Thanks, guys.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 06:44:16 PM by iago »
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: Site Outage on Sunday & Other Site Transitions Ahead
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 03:15:00 PM »
This transition has started.  Expect the server to wink off of the internet for at least a few hours sometime soon.  I'll post here once the transition's complete.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: Site Outage on May 20th & Other Site Transitions Ahead
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 06:45:39 PM »
The site's back up (as you may have noticed).

Stay tuned to the Announcements board for further updates on other transitions and outages down the road.

Thanks!
Fred Hicks

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: Site Outage on May 20th & Other Site Transitions Ahead
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 11:12:42 PM »
We're going to be pushing the fast-forward button on transitioning www.jim-butcher.com to an entirely new machine sometime soon.  How soon? ... well, that's hard to say.  Hopefully within this week.

As a part of the transition, you may start finding that when you hit certain parts of the site, you'll be at jim-butcher.deadlyfredly.com instead of www.jim-butcher.com.  That's not by accident!  That's a place-holder site we'll have up and in place while we work on the transition.  Hopefully it will all play out as smoothly as possible.

During the transition period, it's very likely the boards on the old jim-butcher.com or the new jim-butcher.com will be shut down (flipped to "maintenance" mode) in order to facilitate the transfer without us losing folks' posts. 

We appreciate your patience!
Fred Hicks