Author Topic: Healing in DFRPG  (Read 2171 times)

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Healing in DFRPG
« on: June 08, 2012, 12:06:12 AM »
I'm curious how other tables approach healing spells in DFRPG.  Do you:
1) Not allow them at all; characters must heal 'normally' (or with a Recovery power, if they have it) and healing magic can only provide justification to begin the healing process (as described on YS284).
2) Allow limited healing along the lines of allowing a wound to be reduced by one level (per the Reiki Healing spell on YS300 which contradicts what is stated on YS284).
3) Extrapolate on the sample in YS300 to allow healing of any amount, with a sufficiently high complexity spell.
4) Allow healing by way of thaumaturgy-generated 'borrowing' of a Recovery power (per the temporary power rules).
5) Or something else?

If you do allow healing, do you have trouble with it getting 'out of hand', by which I mean that it tends to make consequences somewhat irrelevant?

(This is not intended to be a discussion of what the rules are or what the should be.  I'm just interested to find out what house rules/interpretations are in play and how such things have played out.)

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Healing in DFRPG
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 01:06:19 AM »
Pretty much as the Reiki spell.  It takes time, shifts have to cover every consequence healed plus a base complexity, and the result is simply one step faster while still occupying the original spot.  Not useless, not overpowered.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Lamech

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 01:48:16 AM »
If I didn't have the Reiki example, and I was trying to design a spell that removes a consequence I would build it like this:
2/4/6 shifts: provide justification for healing
2/4/6 shifts: Suppress the consequence so tagging is not possible
4/8/12 shifts: Provide the aspect NO [consequence] 1/2/3 times
2/8/10 shifts: provide extra duration
The character has healing begin. In addition the character's consequence is now suppressed until healed, and has enough aspects to reduce stress by the same amount as the original consequence. Instant full heal. Also no wiping consequences is used in thaumaturgy.

Now since I do have the Reiki example I would allow that for minor and moderate consequences, and the above ritual or temporary power rules for serious consequences.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 02:57:34 AM »
Yeah, I think maybe outside of Seelie Magic, instant healing is right out. I'd also personally rule against the temporary powers version, mostly because it feels like a ritual to give a power should be more permanent, or should have longer consequences to fundamentally changing someone's physiology.

I'd limit it based a lot on the type of character--unless I'm mistaken, the book mentions if you want to heal, you have to know what the hell you're doing. So unless the character has the knowledge (read: is a doctor anyway), they shouldn't be able to affect the really serious consequences, like putting broken ribs back together, or knitting bone, or putting things back in place.

So the average wizard might be able to do something like the Reiki spell to speed recovery of something that only really needs time to recover anyway, but not on a consequence that requires medical knowledge, like resetting broken bones, patching up severe stab wounds, etc. If you've got a Dr. Wizard, PhD., however, they'd be able to pull it off, provided they meet the complexity.

But I'd be more lenient on things like reducing pain (creating a maneuver that the afflicted character can tag to mitigate the affects of the consequence) or stabilizing an otherwise-dying character long enough to save them (again, a maneuver you could tag for effect to say, "I aten't ded").
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 04:08:11 AM »
The 'temporary power'-based healing method I mentioned (option 4) was something that occurred to me while drafting the first post above, and I've been mulling it over.  Perhaps it would work something like this:

1) You'd need a caster with the appropriate magic.  Seelie magic or Biomancy, possibly requiring that the Biomancer meets some minimal skill qualifications as Mr. Death suggests.
2) The caster would cast an appropriate spell to grant access to loaned Recovery of the level desired.  In addition, he'd need to supply enough duration for the spell to last as long as the consequences would normally require to heal without the spell.  (Note: without this odd duration rule, there would be no reason not to simply borrow Mythic Recovery until the next scene over borrowing a lesser Recovery for longer.)
3) The target spends a Fate for each refresh worth of borrowed Recovery.  The character's refresh is reduced as appropriate until the spell expires.  This refresh penalty does not cause the character to 'go negative', and it is returned once the spell expires or is ended prematurely, though the Fate points would not be returned until the next refresh period after.
4) The borrowed Recovery only applies to the consequences healed, not to any new consequences earned later.
5) If the spell ends prematurely (due to a dispel, for example), then the the character's consequences revert to whatever they would have been if normal healing had occurred.

For example, a character takes a mild, moderate, and serious consequence.  A Sidhe generously casts a spell to grant him Supernatural Recovery ... for a consideration to be determined later.

Normal healing would have resulted in the mild disappearing after one full scene (about an hour), the moderate disappearing about a full session (a few days), and the serious drops off after a full scenario (about a month).  Supernatural Recovery would result in the mild disappearing immediately and the moderate disappearing before the next scene (15 minutes?), with the serious lasting merely a full scene (about an hour).  The Fae needs to cast the spell to last the full month, and the healed character gains the benefits of that healing as if he had the Recovery power.  However, if an ebil Sorcerer detects the spell and dispels it during the next session (or a week later), then the player gets the serious consequence back (with a session or a week credited toward recovery).  The mild and moderate stay healed, since they would have healed by then anyway.

Note: if a character has to 'regain' a consequence that he currently has marked off (because he's recently taking more damage), then he must (a) mark off a number of shifts worth of consequences to match the regained consequence, or (b) roll the consequence up into the next available consequence, or (c) be taken out (as if by the dispelling character).

It's a work in progress, clearly.  Requires some book-keeping, though of roughly the same degree that the original consequences would have required.  For tracking purposes, you could just replace each consequence with a 'virtual' consequence (that would have no game effects) as the Recovery power healed them.  These virtual consequences would go away for good when the consequence they represent would normally have healed without the Recovery power, or would become 'real' consequences if the spell was cancelled.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 04:11:15 AM »
Other than Seelie Magic our group allows any Sponsored Magic that could have healing under it's domain (the agenda of the sponsor work; so long as it also has EvoThaum. (which most sponsored magic has)

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 04:29:11 AM »
Other than Seelie Magic our group allows any Sponsored Magic that could have healing under it's domain (the agenda of the sponsor work; so long as it also has EvoThaum. (which most sponsored magic has)
Which brings up this question: what is your reason for requiring EvoThaum (instead of just the healing domain requirement and, say, the inclusion of Biomancy)?

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 04:09:35 PM »
I meant for instantaneous healing.

I don't really think healing needs to be that hard in the RPG.  I understand why it is harder in the novels.  It creates the desired drama for the story  Jim is trying to tell.

I also understand if a group decides healing is hard to do, in order to keep that same dramatic pacing and feel.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 04:23:57 PM »
5) If the spell ends prematurely (due to a dispel, for example), then the the character's consequences revert to whatever they would have been if normal healing had occurred.

For example, a character takes a mild, moderate, and serious consequence.  A Sidhe generously casts a spell to grant him Supernatural Recovery ... for a consideration to be determined later.

Normal healing would have resulted in the mild disappearing after one full scene (about an hour), the moderate disappearing about a full session (a few days), and the serious drops off after a full scenario (about a month).  Supernatural Recovery would result in the mild disappearing immediately and the moderate disappearing before the next scene (15 minutes?), with the serious lasting merely a full scene (about an hour).  The Fae needs to cast the spell to last the full month, and the healed character gains the benefits of that healing as if he had the Recovery power.  However, if an ebil Sorcerer detects the spell and dispels it during the next session (or a week later), then the player gets the serious consequence back (with a session or a week credited toward recovery).  The mild and moderate stay healed, since they would have healed by then anyway.

This is a bit weird. Are you suggesting that for the next game month we have to keep track of invisible consequences (I.E. they exist, but are not filling the slot, nor usable in any way)? And the wounds spontaneously reopen if the spell is dispelled? I like the idea of including the duration of the consequence in the shifts of the spell, but it seems bizarre to me to have the healing suddenly revert.

As for the first question:
2) Allow limited healing along the lines of allowing a wound to be reduced by one level (per the Reiki Healing spell on YS300 which contradicts what is stated on YS284).

I have actually done this before (using sponsored evothaum no less) in a previous campaign. It seemed to work fine, but I'm not really sure as the game fell apart within a few sessions.

4) Allow healing by way of thaumaturgy-generated 'borrowing' of a Recovery power (per the temporary power rules).

I like this idea, though I have no clue what impact it might have on the game at large.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 05:56:59 PM »
In one of my games, before I had a real solid grasp of the system, I got my GM to agree to let me have an enchanted item to bring Moderate consequences down to Mild, and eventually we realized that having ready access to healing basically took all the teeth out of consequences.

As the rulebook says, don't underestimate the value of showing up to a fight in top form. That's an advantage that should cost refresh or other tangible resources (a high Scholarship stat, or a doctor stunt). The way I read it, quick healing goes against the spirit of the rules, and should be treated cautiously.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 07:31:18 PM »
Easy healing devalues recovery powers.  Besides, I don't like the D&D trope of fight then heal up before fighting again.  That's not the style of game I'm interested in running.

In other words, I'm satisfied with what's in the book.  ;)
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer