Author Topic: Campaign Setting  (Read 13017 times)

Offline Mij

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Undertown!
Campaign Setting
« on: May 22, 2012, 11:55:18 PM »
The Undertown RPG group is pleased to release its campaign setting -- San Francisco.  When we started playing, one of our goals was to make our setting available to other groups.  We're releasing it under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported license, so feel free to use it for your own adventures, or as an idea generator.

The setting is a PDF document and can be downloaded from the URL below:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ib7w1c3p5h759

If you download it, we'd love to hear what you think!  You can send a PM to me (Mij) or leave comments in either this thread or the Undertown RPG thread.

And if anyone else wants to add their campaign setting to the thread, that would be great.

Happy Gaming!

Mij
Your Laundry skill is Poor (-1), and the difficulty here is Great (+4) owing to old machines, poor lighting, and panty-stealing neighbors.  Roll the Fudge Dice, please.

Offline Soulless Mystic5523

• Posty McPostington
  • Icon lovingly crafted by ButMadNNW
    • View Profile
Re: Campaign Setting
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 12:51:53 AM »
You should edit this to say San Fran Campaign Setting so people know which setting it is before they click.
WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN.

Death    Reaper Man   Terry Pratchett

DV SoullessMystic5523 V1.2 YR7 FR5 BK++ RP+++ JB++ TH++ WG CL++ SW+ BC+ MC---- SH[Murphy++, Molly+]

Offline Mij

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Undertown!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 03:21:56 AM »
You should edit this to say San Fran Campaign Setting so people know which setting it is before they click.

I didn't want to do that in case this wants to become a general "Show us your campaign setting" thread.
Your Laundry skill is Poor (-1), and the difficulty here is Great (+4) owing to old machines, poor lighting, and panty-stealing neighbors.  Roll the Fudge Dice, please.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 05:03:43 AM »
More settings:

Terror In The Twin Cities
Hangover City

PS: Reporting for movement.

Offline Mij

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Undertown!
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 02:15:21 AM »
Sanctaphrax:

Had a chance to (quickly) look over the settings.  I'll try to do a more thorough review later, but I like them.  Hang Over City, in particular, is beautifully done.  But both have a lot of good ideas and info.

Again, hopefully I'll get a chance to do a proper review later.

Mij

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 03:10:41 AM »
They oughta be good. Each of them won a Borden award.

Yours probably will too, when the year ends. Unless something awesome shows up in the next seven months.

PS: If you want to talk to the writers of those settings, PM Falar (Twin Cities) or Team8Mum (Liverpool).

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 02:03:43 AM »
Alright, I finished reading San Francisco. My thoughts:

-Initial bit well-done but not terribly interesting. Despite competent execution, it didn't feel new. Probably would have liked it better if I was less familiar with Dresden cities.

-Themes are good.

-Feels like too much detail in some places. I don't need those lists of names. But I guess they aren't a big deal one way or another.

-Location selection is solid. None of them really grabbed me, though.

-Character backstories are excellent. I like these people.

-Not a fan of the way you present skills. It doesn't scan well, to my eyes. I prefer the PC-sheet format.

-Wow, there are a lot of people with Superb Conviction here.

-NPCs are slightly more powerful but less optimized than I'd expect across the board. Probably just a playstyle thing.

-It would be nice if characters that are built at a specific power level were marked as such.

-Mechanical sections of characters are uneven. I've noticed some problems and some semi-problems. For example:

1. The Bilingual stunt is pointless. One stunt is worth 4 languages, and a single point of Scholarship makes you bilingual anyway.
2. Stephanie Adams' Weight Of Reputation stunt is really unimpressive since she only has Average Presence.
3. Daniel's rotes are off. 2 exchanges of armour 2 is only 5 shifts. And you don't need both bracelets on offensive spells, or the earring on defensive ones.
4. Daniel's ring should only take 3 slots. 1 slot base, 1 slot for extra power, 1 slot for 2 extra uses.
5. For Whom The Bell Tolls is hilariously underpowered, unless I'm missing something.
6. A Power that isn't Sponsored Magic isn't Sponsored Magic.
7. Spider Sense is not a valid rote.
8. Skeleton Key seems too complex for Evocation.
9. Janet's Animal Handler stunt should be broader.
10. I don't think that Focused Chi is balanced. It's hard to judge exactly because it's once/adventure, but still.
11. I have no idea what Act The Part is supposed to do.
12. Commanding Presence is vague and poorly written. Needs a full Power writeup.
13. I don't think it's possible to combine Juggler and Hand-Eye Coordination like that. But taking Juggler as a Guns stunt ought to be kosher.
14. Lilly's Walking Stick looks weak. 4 Refresh for a Fantastic Block against attempts to stop his movement? Seems like a waste to me. In general, these Powers should be written up more completely.
15. You may want to reword Off-Hand Weapon Training on page 49; if I didn't already know how it worked, I'd have been confused.
16. Cat Eyes seems weak; Cloak Of Shadows does that and more.
17. The Jade Lady stats are pretty useless. This kind of thing barely works with Mab because we know what her capabilities are already to some extent. Here I just have no idea what The Jade Lady can do. She's implied to be powerful, but does that mean 20 Refresh or does that mean godlike invincibility?
18. Pretender should be reworded. I had to look this up to work out how it works.
19. It seems weird that a werewolf would have Average Fists in wolf form. And if you're spending 1 Refresh on Spirit Speaker, it should not be strictly worse than Ghost Speaker.
20. I don't follow the shift calculation for Earth Speak. Also, I don't think Evocation can do that.
21. It would be nice if it were clear which Lawbreaker bonuses applied to Dominic's spells. Also, mental evocation attacks are in no way fair.
22. Good Resources doesn't seem like enough for the White Court boss.
23. I'm not sure how the Growl Power is different from just trying to Intimidate people normally. Also, does more than For Whom The Bell Tolls at one fourth of the cost.

Offline Mij

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Undertown!
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 01:10:48 AM »
Sanctaphrax:

Wow -- I hadn't expected such detailed feedback.  Thanks for it!  I'll have to double-check my calculations, and I've already started discussing your other feedback with the group.

Thank again!

Mij

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 01:00:50 AM »
You're very welcome.

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Accelerated: The Emerald City: Requiem
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 05:25:55 PM »
Well if you are checking out campaigns I would be interested to hear what you think of our Seattle setting.  See my signature for the link.  Please note that we just had a massive shake up in the city (a massive earthquake caused by a bad guy's ritual) and haven't had time to really work out all the implications.  Any suggestions are welcome.
It's not the Heat, It's the Humanity.

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 04:53:29 AM »
Could you make that into a PDF?

It'd be convenient for me.

Not sure how hard it would be for you to do that; if it would involve actual effort please don't feel obligated or pressured.

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 08:10:13 PM »
Could you make that into a PDF?

It'd be convenient for me.

Not sure how hard it would be for you to do that; if it would involve actual effort please don't feel obligated or pressured.

Umm.  That would take a great deal of time actually as it is set up completely as a website so everyone in the game can edit it.

Sorry.

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/

Offline Mij

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Undertown!
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 02:37:46 AM »
Umm.  That would take a great deal of time actually as it is set up completely as a website so everyone in the game can edit it.

Sorry.

Went to see the site, HumAnnoyd.  I didn't get a chance to go through all of the pages, but I like what I saw!

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 06:25:21 AM »
Thanks, Mij. It has been a lot of fun to create and maintain the site as well as play and run the game.

Offline Heregrim

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 02:48:39 PM »
I just finished writing my first campaign setting, Edinburgh, and thought I would add it here for critique.

It can be found here.

http://www.mediafire.com/?xk2o3pnrg2i6qe1