Author Topic: BB008 - The Shape of Things to Come  (Read 27123 times)

Offline BigMama

• Posty McPostington
  • Bemused and Beguiled
    • View Profile
Re: BB008 - The Shape of Things to Come
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2007, 11:21:08 PM »
(Eyebrow is, at the moment, firmly affixed to the top of head!)
Major congrats to the very talented and charming Priscellie. I know we will see GREAT things coming from your direction!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 11:22:46 PM by BigMama »
Words in the heart cannot be taken. Dorfl

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2007, 11:33:41 PM »
Guilty as charged!
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline arcpolbear

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2007, 12:05:39 AM »
Fred,

and Chad

and Priscellie (Massive Congrats! Always great to get a job. Especially one as cool as that one sounds)

Great episode! I was pleasantly surprised to see the new podcast waiting for me, eagerly blinking in a "listen to me right away" kind of way. So I did.

And nothing is quite so cool as seeing the picture of the block on the podcast website, then looking at my shelf and seeing it there. Although, I still need to get it lacquered before the autograph fades. Anyone know of a good clear lacquer that would work well with white maple?

Anyway, it is great to see the podcast moving forward, and I think the segment format will be a great change.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 12:10:36 AM by arcpolbear »
Why have "Or" when you can have "And"?

Offline Divinity

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2007, 12:56:24 AM »
Cool Podcast.  I will have to go back and find the other ones that have been done so far.

Also:  Congrats Priscellie!  I hope you have fun with your job.  If only we could all be so lucky ;)

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2007, 07:06:19 AM »
I remember reading in one of the books that one of Murph's Exs died of cancer and she was upset that he didn't tell her. Now I have to go look for that reference...... :-[

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline Rel Fexive

• Conversationalist
  • Shadow Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2007, 10:26:47 PM »
Finally all caught up!  Great 'casts guys.  Priscellie always sounds too excited to be sitting down!

Great stuff on the 'inconsistency' front too.  Craig, that bit with Murph's ex is at the beginning of Summer Knight if you hadn't worked it out already ;)  ...as an "in" for explaining who Elaine is beforehand, if you see what I mean.
THE DOCTOR: I'll do a thing.
RIVER SONG: What thing?
THE DOCTOR: I don't know. It's a thing in progress. Respect the thing!

Offline gahmsw

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2007, 12:39:15 PM »
Fred - Another fine 'cast. I like the idea of developing a formal structure for the podcast. With 10+ Dresden books yet (and at least 6 more seasons of TDF on SciFi) to come I have to think that you may be doing this for a while. So, why not step it up - right? Good work.

Am I the only one who visualizes Fred on the set of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart during these podcasts? He goes form one item to the next...playing like he does not know which camera is on him...while all the time he is simply trying to show off the SplatterCon T-Shirt he is wearing to its best angle.

Priscelle - Congrats ! I just want to be first to ask for a backstage tour of the set when you, inevitably, are the Art Director or something equally awesome on The Dresden Files movie shoot (circa 2014). You are on your way by the looks of it.  Trust me. Having no talent myself...I know it when I sees it.  :o

-Later

Steve
"What you know about women I could juggle."
- Bob the Skull

Offline stpaulbrowncoat

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2007, 07:02:44 PM »
I really enjoyed the podcast! ('Bout time, don't 'ya thinK???) ;)
Kudos!  (and other candy bars...maybe a Snickers or two)...
Something I learned from Jayne:
Things look bigger when you can't see 'em.
www.mnfirefly.com

Offline JRBobC

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2007, 05:37:34 AM »
Why do I get the feeling from the way you were talking Mr. Fred that Mr. Butcher's publisher is pressuring him to get SmFa out as soon as possible?  Are they just wanting to make sure that the book has enough time to go through the editing process for a April '08 release?  Or is there a small glimmer of hope that it may be released a little bit sooner?  Yes the withdrawal is getting to me, badly. 

On a semi-unrelated note, we have seen the SmFa cover art, when to we get to see the cover art for Captain's Fury?  Also is it really 320 pages long?  That's what Amazon says buy I don't trust it.
Now Amazon has it at 464 pages, much more believable.

In case I didn't say this before, great podcast, can't wait to hear the next one.  Whenever you get around to having the time to do it.  And also thanks very much for taking the time to set it up and to those who have contributed.

If Mr. Butcher is able to hold to his SmFa deadline, 4 days and counting to finishing of the first draft.  Woohoo!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 04:12:25 PM by JRBobC »
Patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue, PATIENCE IS A F***ING VIRTUE.  There, now I might be able to follow it.

Regarding Cover art: "You have no control. If you’re really lucky you get an art director who will let you use Vaseline when he bends you over." -Glen Cook

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2007, 12:41:23 AM »
Due to assorted things like book tours, don't hold your breath on the June 1 date. ;)
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline JRBobC

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2007, 12:45:00 AM »
Due to assorted things like book tours, don't hold your breath on the June 1 date. ;)

I wasn't.  I figured he'd end up missing it, just due to the tour and everything.  If he misses his deadline, he misses his deadline.  So long as he is happy with the book, and that he feels he has written it to the best of his ability it is okay with me.
Patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue, PATIENCE IS A F***ING VIRTUE.  There, now I might be able to follow it.

Regarding Cover art: "You have no control. If you’re really lucky you get an art director who will let you use Vaseline when he bends you over." -Glen Cook

Offline Highlander_II

• Conversationalist
  • There can be only one!
    • View Profile
    • Highlander II's Medium-sized Kingdom
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2007, 07:07:49 PM »
I remember reading in one of the books that one of Murph's Exs died of cancer and she was upset that he didn't tell her. Now I have to go look for that reference...... :-[

Craig

I think this is either GP or SK... I know it's fairly early.  (funny that 'book 4' is *early* when we're only on book 9)

Offline Jindai

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2007, 11:35:56 AM »
You know, when you were discussing factual errors with your second guest, and he brought out a couple of them I hadn't really been paying attention to, it was interesting, and I had to reread to find them, paying more attention this time.  I started very late, by the by, TV show first, books after, and had only read the first 3 by the time I heard this episode.  So, I reread them and moved on.  I am actually in the midst of Death Masks, and one of the most glaring errors I have seen in a while popped up, and it surprised me greatly, not only was it there, but, that your error checker missed it.  On page 329 of the 8th printing of the paperback version, 4th pagagraph, Harry starts building a shield WITHOUT his bracelet.  It had been removed in a previous encounter with the baddies, so he didn't have it.  He even references that in that very paragraph, saying: "I crouched and concentrated, chanting,  "Defendre, defendre," in a steady litany.  It was difficult to do without my shield bracelet to focus it, but I brought up all the defensive energy I could mamage in a dome around me. (Italics mine)
  The last sentence of the 6th paragraph brought me out of my chair, and took me totally out of the moment:  "My Shield collapsed, overloaded, and the bracelet began burning my wrist. (Italics mine) 
  How could  Jim, his editor, and finally your error checker miss something to obvious?  I'd REALLY love to hear the explaination you come up for this.  "Time shifting", "Told as memoirs, so some details are fussy", or even "Characters altering personal histories to out them in better light." 
  Anyway, I just had to vent.  Love the Books, love the podcast, love the TV show (Love the TV Bob better than the Book one, but what can you do, it's Terrance Mann, baby!)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2007, 03:22:55 PM »
Far as I know, that stuff creeps in by and large due to multiple revisions of the text, and end up escaping out to the reading public because they're working on tight deadlines with a too-few-editors, too-many-books kind of environment. 

As far as the *explanation*?  How about: "this stuff's harder than it looks"? :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2007, 08:46:40 PM »
I don't have a copy handy, but I assume Harry wasn't wearing the "cut your wrists off if you use magic" shackles, or any other bracelet?

The beta group usually catches things like that these days, but I don't know what the beta group was like then...it may have been 2 people and a dauchund, for all I know.

Another way that can sneak in is if text is rewritten, but some original text wasn't properly rewritten. Jim has been known to go back and rewrite whole parts of scenes because of either a better idea, or something that was caught and just didn't work.
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick