Author Topic: Taking Cover...  (Read 3895 times)

Offline Pbartender

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Taking Cover...
« on: May 10, 2012, 01:13:25 PM »
How do you guys handle this?

It would seem most appropriate to start with a Maneuver and then tag the resulting aspect.  But...  If the character wants to STAY behind the cover and continue getting the bonus, he either has to A) spend a Fate Point every round, or B) spend his action on a new Maneuver.

The other way, I suppose, would be to use the character's Stealth skill to block all attacks against him.  But again, the character would be constantly using all his actions to block.

Is there a good way to allow someone to, for example, shoot at an enemy from around a corner and still gain some benefit from hiding behind that corner?

Thoughts?

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
Re: Taking Cover...
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 01:32:31 PM »
Declare "Cover" with an Alertness Roll and tag it with athletics defense.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 01:37:27 PM »
Pbartender, your right if you need to use the aspect on every defense roll but since your allowed to tag the aspect after your own roll you probably won't need to use it every time.  I doubt anyone would argue that cover isn't a sticky aspect. 

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 01:43:56 PM »
I would use the maneuver/declaration (something like "I declare that the chest-high wall provides Ample Cover"), then use that tag to boost a Blocking action against being attacked with long-range attacks.

That or maybe Invoke for the effect that people just can't hit you from a distance.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 01:59:41 PM »
That's the Aspect way to handle it.

You can also (either in concert with or instead of, to your preference) say something like being in cover gives a +1 defense vs. ranged, but a -1 defense against melee attacks. If cover and movement is important to your game, you may be better served by adding a small bit of complexity to the rules like that.

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 02:28:09 PM »
How do you guys handle this?

It would seem most appropriate to start with a Maneuver and then tag the resulting aspect.  But...  If the character wants to STAY behind the cover and continue getting the bonus, he either has to A) spend a Fate Point every round, or B) spend his action on a new Maneuver.

The other way, I suppose, would be to use the character's Stealth skill to block all attacks against him.  But again, the character would be constantly using all his actions to block.

Is there a good way to allow someone to, for example, shoot at an enemy from around a corner and still gain some benefit from hiding behind that corner?

Thoughts?

You are absolutely correct about the RAW approach to taking cover, if you apply it as an Aspect to yourself you can only use it for free once and thereafter you have to use Fate points, otherwise you can use a Skill to set up a Block.

There is a purpose for this, however.  Aspects and Fate points are heavily concerned with narrative and keeping things interesting in a scene.  By only allowing one free tag of a self applied Aspect, it keeps the scene interesting by incentivizing the player to change the scene with new Aspects rather than letting them set and forget them.

Offline Pbartender

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 02:32:54 PM »
You can also (either in concert with or instead of, to your preference) say something like being in cover gives a +1 defense vs. ranged, but a -1 defense against melee attacks. If cover and movement is important to your game, you may be better served by adding a small bit of complexity to the rules like that.

In effect making it a supplemental action to gain a +1 to your defensive roll by taking cover.  I kind of like that.

Also...  What about using a block action, but spending extra shifts to make the black last longer?  Say, for example, a character uses his Stealth skill to hide behind cover in order to block all enemy ranged attacks.  He rolls a 7 for the block, but reduces the block by 2 to 5 in order to make the block last 2 extra exchanges.  Would that be fair?

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 03:36:30 PM »
I think the answer depends on the cover taken.

Is the cover a tree? a table? or around the corner of a brick building?  Some of these should be handled differently.

Did the character shoot over the edge of a building and take a supplemental action to lay back out of sight?

Mayb ethe cover is relatively weak or thin.

Maybe it is more like darkness, or fog, or a sandstorm.

Maybe the character is around a building corner, on a humid foggy night, with enough cloud cover to make it very dark also.

Aspects are likely hte best, but in some circumstances I'd simply rule: You are safe from conventional means of attack. (guns/ ranged weapons, thrown weapons from most creatures, etc.)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 03:41:40 PM by Silverblaze »

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 03:41:20 PM »
Also...  What about using a block action, but spending extra shifts to make the black last longer?  Say, for example, a character uses his Stealth skill to hide behind cover in order to block all enemy ranged attacks.  He rolls a 7 for the block, but reduces the block by 2 to 5 in order to make the block last 2 extra exchanges.  Would that be fair?
I don't think that makes any sense for a non-evocation block. If you overturn a table and crouch behind it, the table isn't going to suddenly not be there anymore 20 seconds later if you didn't put a little extra effort into flipping it in the first place. The table, and your cover, will keep protecting you until either you move or it's destroyed.

Offline Pbartender

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 03:56:10 PM »
I don't think that makes any sense for a non-evocation block. If you overturn a table and crouch behind it, the table isn't going to suddenly not be there anymore 20 seconds later if you didn't put a little extra effort into flipping it in the first place. The table, and your cover, will keep protecting you until either you move or it's destroyed.

Right...  You see, that's the conceptual trouble I was having with using Aspects for cover...

You flip a table over and hide behind it.  It helps you for a few moments, and then suddenly it stops being useful unless you spend a Fate Point or take additional action.

In end, I can always rule that cover gives a benefit...  Either a bonus to defense or as impromptu armor.  I just couldn't find any actual rules for it, and was wondering if there were any.  Or, in their absence, if there were existing rules that could be easily adapted (evocation blocks/shields/armor/barriers seemed a good place to start).

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 03:57:30 PM »
Another, more solid way of handling it would be to invoke the aspect for effect. This could then simply prevent the attacker from attacking or create a block (either at the GM's discretion) that would remain until the aspect was no longer applicable (I.E. the PC does something that would invalidate the aspect or the enemy counter-maneuvers). I think that's the way I would handle it.

Offline Pbartender

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 05:39:15 PM »
Another, more solid way of handling it would be to invoke the aspect for effect. This could then simply prevent the attacker from attacking or create a block (either at the GM's discretion) that would remain until the aspect was no longer applicable (I.E. the PC does something that would invalidate the aspect or the enemy counter-maneuvers).

I wasn't certain Invoking for Effect worked that way...  but it does give me an idea.

I was looking at the bonus from cover as something that should always be there.  But, narratively speaking, the bonus only really needs to be there when it needs to be there (Ooooh...  Zen Gaming).  In other words, you don't need that +2 bonus to defense if the enemy misses.   Only does good if the enemy hits (at the very least, you're reducing the stress you take by 2 points).

Also, a "Cover" aspect doesn't have to be invoked to the benefit of the player...  It could compel the enemy instead!

So, here's what I'm looking at...

Step 1: Maneuver to generate a "defensive" temporary aspect on yourself (It doesn't even have to be cover-based, though that's our current example).  Presuming you roll well enough, it's sticky and hangs around until someone takes a counter-maneuver to get rid of it.

Step 2: Wait until an enemy attack hits (we'd be a little lenient with the "must be used immediately" part of a free tag), then use your free tag to boost your defense or compel the enemy into missing.

Step 3: Use Fate Points to gain additional benefits throughout the scene, or re-maneuver to get another free tag.

I think that would pretty well to emulate the guy who's crouching behind cover, but occasionally popping out to take shots...  As opposed to someone who completely under cover and staying there.

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 06:05:53 PM »
Step 1: Maneuver to generate a "defensive" temporary aspect on yourself (It doesn't even have to be cover-based, though that's our current example).  Presuming you roll well enough, it's sticky and hangs around until someone takes a counter-maneuver to get rid of it.

Step 2: Wait until an enemy attack hits (we'd be a little lenient with the "must be used immediately" part of a free tag), then use your free tag to boost your defense or compel the enemy into missing.

Step 3: Use Fate Points to gain additional benefits throughout the scene, or re-maneuver to get another free tag.

I think that would pretty well to emulate the guy who's crouching behind cover, but occasionally popping out to take shots...  As opposed to someone who completely under cover and staying there.

Ahh, now you're playing with FATE!  ;D

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 06:24:16 PM »
That sort of thing is normally a maneuver. But if you wanted to represent it as a block, you might be able to talk your GM into making it last multiple exchanges.

YS says that blocks typically last until your next action, but I don't think it ever actually forbids blocks from lasting longer.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 06:29:46 PM »
It depends on how the block is implemented, I would think. If a block against getting through a doorway is you standing there with a sword and shield bellowing "None shall pass!" then yeah, if you go to do something else, the block goes away. But if the block is a table you nailed over the doorway, it only makes sense that it would persist while you go to do something else.

Though with the Cover thing, it gets a little tricky. Is the block your action of getting behind the upturned table--where one can argue that popping up to shoot constitutes the "do something else" that removes the block--or is it the upturning of the table--meaning it persists even as you pop up to shoot?