Author Topic: [spoilers for PG] I think Harry Fixed Little Chicago  (Read 13287 times)

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: [spoilers for PG] I think Harry Fixed Little Chicago
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2012, 01:48:11 PM »
TCF,

That makes them too much like us.  It's not that they don't love, it's that love means something very different for them than it does for us.
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2012, 01:54:35 PM »
TCF,

That makes them too much like us.  It's not that they don't love, it's that love means something very different for them than it does for us.

How does have having partially similar emotions make them too similar? I didn't say they were completely like us.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2012, 02:41:21 PM »
TCF,

I don't want to turn Lea into sqwishy lovey mother figure.  She needs to remain "Scary Death Sidhe Lady".  To much affection for Harry or Thomas would spoil that, in my opinion.
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2012, 02:43:40 PM »
TCF,

I don't want to turn Lea into sqwishy lovey mother figure.  She needs to remain "Scary Death Sidhe Lady".  To much affection for Harry or Thomas would spoil that, in my opinion.

She can still love them while remaining utterly terrifying towards them and having a very different view on how to express it.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2012, 02:46:47 PM »
TCF,

Perhaps.  I will be curious to see how Mr. Butcher writes that if he takes that road.

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2012, 04:23:13 PM »
I think he has. in SK, Lea says "I care for you, my son" and harry replies " but you tried to turn me into a dog" and Lea answers " of course. you would be safe and happy then."

that, and Maeve implies strong human emotions- love, food, evil- cause sidhe to become insane; Lea implies on this that its because it causes conflict with thier purpose.

also, it is a pretty good chance based on WOJ that lea was a changleing once, so she has a human memory. its not that she (or mab) dont have feelings, but that they have a very different perspective.

Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2012, 04:37:06 PM »
I think he has. in SK, Lea says "I care for you, my son" and harry replies " but you tried to turn me into a dog" and Lea answers " of course. you would be safe and happy then."

Which seems to me to pretty clearly prove that what "cares for" means to Lea is not at all what it would for a human.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Apollishar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2012, 04:51:17 PM »
I always felt that if Harry were to go back in time, it would be to Bianca's Masquerade.

We've been told that a lot more went down at that party than what we know about. Seems to me that, at some point, Harry would have to find out. He was too focused on the task at hand/ didn't know enough at the time to look for certain things. I think when he goes back, it'll be there, to spy on the guests.

edit: and, that deals with the whole "unable to change the past aspect" and "moral dilemma". He can't change the events of the masquerade, and that'll make him think. So, spying on the party without helping his past self would be the only thing he could do there
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 04:52:54 PM by Apollishar »

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2012, 05:01:49 PM »
Which seems to me to pretty clearly prove that what "cares for" means to Lea is not at all what it would for a human.

well i see it a bit different. My sister got into some drug problems as a teen, and my father had to have her hospitlaized to save her life. She did not want to go, and was very angray at him for that, but eventually forgave him.

so If Lea foresaw harry getting killed, and knew there was no way to atlk him out of his self destructive behavior, i can see as a sidhe parent putting him in the dog pound for a while, until the danger is past.
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2012, 06:06:16 PM »
well i see it a bit different. My sister got into some drug problems as a teen, and my father had to have her hospitlaized to save her life. She did not want to go, and was very angray at him for that, but eventually forgave him.

I am not at all intending to argue with that mode of thing sometimes being a necessary thing to do, or a thing people can do coming from good intentions, and I am sorry if I suggested otherwise.

so If Lea foresaw harry getting killed, and knew there was no way to atlk him out of his self destructive behavior, i can see as a sidhe parent putting him in the dog pound for a while, until the danger is past.

It's the apparent lack of any intent on Lea's part to turn him back again that I am finding hard to see as caring in a humanly recognisable sense.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2012, 06:11:02 PM »
I am not at all intending to argue with that mode of thing sometimes being a necessary thing to do, or a thing people can do coming from good intentions, and I am sorry if I suggested otherwise.

It's the apparent lack of any intent on Lea's part to turn him back again that I am finding hard to see as caring in a humanly recognisable sense.

no appologies recquired; i was just explaing my reasoning. and i can see you point, i just think it fits in with the whole 'human feelings but alien reasoning pov'