Author Topic: Does the DresdenVerse default to Ultimate Good or Ultimate Evil?  (Read 25673 times)

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
Re: Does the DresdenVerse default to Ultimate Good or Ultimate Evil?
« Reply #225 on: May 07, 2012, 10:54:26 PM »
I would like to add a fourth designation: what the rules recommend. And I would like it to be given some weight, because even when it isn't outright forbidding or allowing a particular thing, it is still in the book and intended to inform how the game is played.
I agree with this. An understanding of the rules shouldn't be only about whether something is explicitly forbidden or explicitly allowed. There are several parts of the rulebook that read along the lines of, "Well, technically you can do that, but..." which should be given attention as well.

Yes, when playing the game, the RAW is what should be followed above what happens in the novels, with the caveat that what's happening is covered by the RAW. I would say that, in the case where a situation that arises which is not covered by the RAW, but is handled in the novels, what happens in the novels should have some weight, even if only as a consideration.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 08, 2012, 12:39:01 AM »
I would say that, in the case where a situation that arises which is not covered by the RAW, but is handled in the novels, what happens in the novels should have some weight, even if only as a consideration.

Such as the time when Listens To Winds did his shapeshifting trick in Small Favors.  What he did wasn't allow by the rules, so Fred suggest a workaround of assigning Listens To Winds Greater Shapeshifting and explaining it away as a series of Thaumaturgy rites that he has spent a lifetime doing.

Richard

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 08, 2012, 03:28:16 AM »
What he did was totally allowed by the rules. Look at his stats on the Resources board, they model it excellently.

Anyway, no matter how you spin it, it has to be a rule to be part of the Rules As Written. This is important, dude. I don't want to have to decode your posts because you insist on redefining things at random.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 08, 2012, 04:10:05 AM »
I don't want to have to decode your posts because you insist on redefining things at random.

I don't redefine things at random.

Richard

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 08, 2012, 04:17:46 AM »
Okay, according to principles not readily apparent. It's just as confusing. Please stop doing it.