Author Topic: Kindle E-Publising. Show us the ropes?  (Read 31182 times)

Offline Madd

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle E-Publising. Show us the ropes?
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2012, 09:47:50 PM »
Amazing stuff!  A massive help to me!

I was wondering though, who did you turn to for artwork?  I'm not a terrible artist, but I am far from book cover quality and I don't really know any artists who could help me out.  Are there groups online who help with these things?

Offline R. S. Leergaard

• Posty McPostington
  • I ink, therefore I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2012, 10:03:35 PM »
I did mine myself using Paint Shop Pro 8, a starfield background and two pictures (a galaxy image downloaded from the internet and part of a jack-in-the-box) plust the text tool. Sounds hard but it really isn't. Took me less than an hour following the PSP8 help directions, but I'm used to the program. Might take longer if you're new to it.

Barring that, Amazon will put in a generic cover if you don't upload one.
Dance on, md

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2012, 10:10:23 PM »
Amazing stuff!  A massive help to me!

I was wondering though, who did you turn to for artwork?  I'm not a terrible artist, but I am far from book cover quality and I don't really know any artists who could help me out.  Are there groups online who help with these things?

I got a philipino artist.  There is also deviant art.  Or I've been told you can go to some universities and try to hire an artist still in school.

meg_evonne seemed to know someone.

Hope we can help people on this thread.

thanks,

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline Madd

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2012, 10:11:32 PM »
Hmmm....I think I would definitely go the route of paying someone with REAL skill to do it.  My sketches are good enough to get a general idea across and thats about it.

Thank you guys yet again.

Offline R. S. Leergaard

• Posty McPostington
  • I ink, therefore I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2012, 10:22:28 PM »
@RS Leergaard:  Can you please make a sample chapter available?

I don't know why it won't let you look inside mine there at the link below. Apparently I missed ckicking something. I did, however, set up a promotion for the book to be available for free for 5 days starting tomorrow (12 May 2012) @ approximately 12:00 pm. If it isn't available then, keep checking back until it is.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Book-of-Xyxyx-ebook/dp/B00820SC9Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336700399&sr=1-1
Dance on, md

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick

Offline R. S. Leergaard

• Posty McPostington
  • I ink, therefore I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2012, 05:43:13 PM »
I just checked, the promotion is still 'in progress'. It hasn't taken effect, yet. I'll let you all know when it does.
Dance on, md

Offline R. S. Leergaard

• Posty McPostington
  • I ink, therefore I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2012, 06:52:03 PM »
Belay what was here before.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 08:07:38 PM by R. S. Leergaard »
Dance on, md

Offline R. S. Leergaard

• Posty McPostington
  • I ink, therefore I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2012, 08:11:25 PM »
The free copy of Xyxyx is now available. You still need an Amazon account, but the book is free to download, for now.  :)
Dance on, md

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2012, 11:13:29 PM »
Thanks, I just downloaded it to the boyfriend's tablet as I don't have a Kindle.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Winter_Knight

• Conversationalist
  • Donald Morgan's Demented Prodigy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2012, 09:46:03 PM »
Hmm, interesting. I've been hearing a lot about this E-Publishing stuff. I tried to get my first novel published through traditional means. No one bit. I told myself that perhaps it was my writing, that I really can't write a sustainable Vampire thriller. But people have been urging me to try this. Lo and behold, I signed up for the Butcher forums and came across this topic almost immediately. So methinks me should try it after all. I mean really, what do I have to lose? Very helpful, King. Thanks for the info. (Y)

Offline Spot

• Posty McPostington
  • Lazer eyes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2012, 09:51:40 PM »
Don't forget to post a link to your book in the "Author Craft" section. Good luck!
Old gods. New gods. Aren't they all the same?

Offline Winter_Knight

• Conversationalist
  • Donald Morgan's Demented Prodigy
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2012, 06:15:14 AM »
Don't forget to post a link to your book in the "Author Craft" section. Good luck!

Thanks, Spot!! I will. I hope you like the beginning... 'It was a Dark and Stormy Night', LOL JK XD

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2012, 07:03:39 AM »
Hmm, interesting. I've been hearing a lot about this E-Publishing stuff. I tried to get my first novel published through traditional means. No one bit. I told myself that perhaps it was my writing, that I really can't write a sustainable Vampire thriller. But people have been urging me to try this. Lo and behold, I signed up for the Butcher forums and came across this topic almost immediately. So methinks me should try it after all. I mean really, what do I have to lose? Very helpful, King. Thanks for the info. (Y)

Glad to be of service.

hope everything works out for you!

Always follow the dream,

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline Spot

• Posty McPostington
  • Lazer eyes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2012, 03:31:03 AM »
Thanks, Spot!! I will. I hope you like the beginning... 'It was a Dark and Stormy Night', LOL JK XD
:D Oh and welcome to the forums! Stop by Weird in the Bar for some good, clean fun. Okay, not always clean, but always fun!
Old gods. New gods. Aren't they all the same?

Offline LDWriter2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Musings of L.E.
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2012, 10:18:38 PM »
Speaking of E-publishing in general

There is deanwesleysmith.com He has a whole series about E-publishing, some of it gets a little complicated when it comes to pricing books though. 
Working on Turning Lead into Gold