Author Topic: DF Spoilers Reference child board  (Read 9591 times)

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
Re: DF Spoilers Reference child board
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2012, 06:59:16 PM »
Agreed.  If this thing ever become reality, I would very much want to see a "suggested methods for formatting" sticky, complete with different colors for books quotes, WoJ's, etc.

I will admit to my ego having been stroked by that compliment, so I will give that.  That said, I feel that prominent attribution of the theory (and proper representation of the details) would go quite a long way.  I have no problem linking (or copy-pasting) the original post at the bottom.

Question:

If I started a "theory of the week" thread as I suggested above, would it be reasonable to expect that the re-formated OP of the thread (only the first post) would make it into the FAQ board to a TOW thread (assuming of course that it is informative enough and faithfully attributes all contributions)?  I'm seriously considering trying this out for a couple of weeks to see how well it works, but wanted to have reasonable assurances that the final products would make it somewhere relatively permanent.  If the answer is yes, I'd take some time to write up a few of the OPs in advance to have material for a few weeks.

Current theory list:
- Duck's "Mab fixed Chicago"
- Neuro's "Outsider Scarecrow" (probably at least referencing some of Elegast's combinations).
- Neuro's "Cowl never meant to do Darkhallow"
- "Mab's plan for SmF" - this one is mine, so I would try to get someone else to do it.
- "Molly abducted by Mab" - again, mine (it's almost a year old, so it will be deleted soon).
- Your Doyalist analysis of PG and the possible time-travel implications.
- HHWB summoning -- multiple.
- Lash's story (you plus a few others).

In addition, I thought I could use the thread to do something like "Theory building-blocks for XXX" for each of the books.  Basically, it would be a chance for people to point out oddities/discrepancies/whatever that they noticed in their read-through that might help others come up with something.

Example:

Building blocks for GP would include things like (each with a short description of possible uses in a theory):

- Lea bargaining for Michael's son
- Lea burning Thomas with a kiss
- No Summer representative at Bianca's party
- What happened to Siriothrax's hoard?
- Bob knows how to find paths in the NN to Bianca's basement.
- The NN around Harry's apartment.
- The fabric of the NN is getting weaker (per Mort).
- Is Lydia's vision complete?
- Holy water burns Reds and ghouls (is this the only proof we have?)

This list in itself should generate enough weekly threads for the next few months.  We could then either take each of the OPs for the "theories" FAQ thread, or use them as a whole as a seed for the new board.

Note to self:

At some point I would like to start a reference topic named something like "Power Scales and Ascension rituals"

Reference material for this topic could easily be sourced from here:
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,31168.msg1326451.html#msg1326451
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,31168.msg1326478.html#msg1326478
DFRPG's list
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline parthagenon

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2012, 07:07:39 PM »
Note to self:

At some point I would like to start a reference topic named something like "Power Scales and Ascension rituals"

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,31168.msg1326451.html#msg1326451
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,31168.msg1326478.html#msg1326478
DFRPG's list

GK and someone else who I forgot were doing some power scale things earlier, which might be interesting to check out.  It was all very mathematical.  Integrals were being deployed.   :)

Also, has anyone tried to write a little computer app or something to keep things straight?  I don't know how hard this would be, but having a sub-website-thing hosting stuff like a power calculator or a database of theories that would be searchable/sortable would be really, really awesome. 
"Battle not with monsters, lest you become a sad stain on the carpet, and if you gaze into the abyss, you will get very bored."
"No, the crab is immune to your charms.  You can, however, roll a seduction check for the cuttlefish."
-the DM

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2012, 07:44:46 PM »
Huh.  I just sent a PM to GK asking Griffyn612 if he wanted to redo that topic for us too :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 12:36:18 AM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2012, 07:00:34 PM »
Note to self:

DFRPG's list

we had one for a while that I recall, the problem to redo it is it was based on 'kill a Mab's' as in whou could or coudl not take on Mab in a oine on one fight.

Thing is, there is a major discreapancy between the books and wjo as to how strong Mab is these days- the Books have her being uriel's near equal, where woj implies Uriel is much, much stronger.

(and there another one for your discrepancies list.)

lol
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2012, 01:08:52 AM »
Jim has said that originally he wanted Harry to be a medium sized fish in a big pond, but as he wrote the series he decided to make the pond a little bigger.  All the better to make Harry's life difficult.

I suspect that the difference between that one line in SK comparing Mab to archangels (which has lots of wiggle room, so it kinda baffles me that you get so stuck on it) and the way things seem to lie now might be a consequence of that expansion of the pond.

Edit:  Here's a WoJ where Jim says that stuff about ponds:

Quote from: WoJ
Mainly I just stick to the plan I always had for Dresden: I never wanted him to be the big fish in the pond. I always wanted him to be the crafty medium-sized fish, somebody who could rely on brute power for some problems, but not nearly all of them. Then, as I kept on creating the world I needed, I realized that Dresden wasn't even really a medium-sized fish. He was smaller than that. Granted, he has a lot of muscle for most of the world he runs around in, but when times get hard he starts finding himself going up against all kinds of guys who are really just out of his weight class.
source
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 04:37:51 AM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline parthagenon

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2012, 01:56:18 AM »
I remember working on another power scale calculation thread a while ago, which calculated not only raw power but things like cleverness, connections/alliances, limitations, and territorial advantages.  So it ended up being closer to a danger scale instead of power, along the lines of "it's safer to piss off Mother Winter than Lara, because Mother Winter (probably) can't directly do anything to you, despite being way stronger than Lara".

In any case, though, any power scale calculator would have to have error bars implemented, and I suspect they'd be large enough that any comparison between reasonably similar-tier characters (as in, not Butters vs. Ferrovax) would have overlapping error bars, and so the scheme would be very rough regardless.
"Battle not with monsters, lest you become a sad stain on the carpet, and if you gaze into the abyss, you will get very bored."
"No, the crab is immune to your charms.  You can, however, roll a seduction check for the cuttlefish."
-the DM

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2012, 05:01:02 PM »
We are go for launch!  Let me know if I screwed up the setup in any way.  It was my first time futzing with the forum's infrastructure. :D

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2012, 02:41:49 AM »
GK and someone else who I forgot were doing some power scale things earlier, which might be interesting to check out.  It was all very mathematical.  Integrals were being deployed.   :)

Also, has anyone tried to write a little computer app or something to keep things straight?  I don't know how hard this would be, but having a sub-website-thing hosting stuff like a power calculator or a database of theories that would be searchable/sortable would be really, really awesome.

Me :)

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,33165.msg1495697.html#msg1495697
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,33165.msg1497543.html#msg1497543
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,33165.msg1497609.html#msg1497609

at some point im going to graph it out.. the idea is to take the 'who can kill mab' caluclations and then groudn it in real world equivalents of things we have seen people do. For example, How much power does it take to create a blizzard?
 or blow up a house with lightning?.. or..destroy jupiter?
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2012, 07:08:20 AM »
I have noticed recently that Serack's awesome lsit is kinda bleeding out as the threads the WOJs are in auto delete themselves.

for example:
this link about maggie sr is now dead

my sugestion: a master WOJ list, which includes not links but the actual citations, and that this be included in your permanent refernce board.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2012, 02:27:28 PM »
I have noticed recently that Serack's awesome lsit is kinda bleeding out as the threads the WOJs are in auto delete themselves.

for example:

my sugestion: a master WOJ list, which includes not links but the actual citations, and that this be included in your permanent refernce board.

Any threads containing WOJ should have been moved to the WOJ board, where threads aren't purged.  Looks like this one slipped through our fingers.  If you see any more, please let us know!

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2012, 02:38:21 PM »

for example:

Ack.

I was looking for that one the other day too.
DF WoJ Compilation